HOF/ 1.4 Skill changes

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Nov 2006, 04:21

Thats a big nerf for the scholar feat.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Nov 2006, 06:36

yup.

I'm surprised JJ didn't notice it...

;|

OTOH, boy was he right about fire/magma dragons and dracoggeddon.

I beat laszlo in the last mission with a dozen magma dragons and 4 consecutive castings of armageddon with all the fire perks, a pheonix cape (was on every map past map 2) and a SP of 30.

yeah, that means i was doing around 2K damage to everything on the BF every turn (the second cast was especially brutal, as laszlo had 3 of his ground pounders right in the middle of the BF, where the "rock" hits).

Moreover, by that time (level 27) i had the anti-luck special, and combined with preparation, i just set my godzillas in defense mode, and the stragglers that were left after the armageddons that managed to reach it, pretty much were wiped out in the "pre-retalliation". the only losses my godzillas suffered were from the cavalry that managed to act before my hero cast the first armaggedon and before my Godzillas could get into defense mode. A stack of 21 of those guys took out exactly 2 of my big lizards, and what was left of the crossbowmen after the first armageddon took out 1 more.

remind me to rush anyone who might be playing dwarves in MP!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Nov 2006, 06:53

Sir_Toejam wrote: OTOH, boy was he right about fire/magma dragons and dracoggeddon.
He was right?Realy?I though he was against dracogeddon abuse and said that IM was there to prevent it because no one can stand a chance against a warlock using this,while its ok for dwarves because they dont do so much damage :devious:

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Nov 2006, 07:30

well, to play devil's advocate here, the campaign is rather specific; I seriously doubt you will see many maps where you can get any dwarf to 30 spellpower.

I'd say half that at best.

plus, that was with the phoenix cape as well.

so, with ignite, but without the cape, assuming 15 spellpower, that drops the damage to around 600 per turn. still pretty brutal unless you have a good group of shooters or fast walkers to attack the dwarve's dragons with, or you're a wizard and can just counterspell (note: only Jhora could possibly have high enough init to get off a counterspell before a "quick minded" dwarf hero).

still... they are certainly better at it than wizards, and with their defensive capabilities, combined with the dragons being able to use rune magic to resurrect themselves, make themselves ethereal, or make themselves immune to other elements, well....

now, don't get me wrong, i actually lost a major battle using this strategy too; it takes a decent sized stack of dragons to pull it off, and that's not easy to come by.

that said, i really kinda felt like i was in an old Toho movie, guiding my Godzillas to burn down tokyo.

http://www.onlyinternet.net/awinterrowd ... dzilla2.au
http://www.onlyinternet.net/awinterrowd ... y/godz4.au

GO-GO GODZILLA!

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 24 Nov 2006, 07:37

DaemianLucifer wrote:Thats a big nerf for the scholar feat.
Big, and IMO, quite unecessary. Scholar wasn't very useful before either.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Nov 2006, 07:46

it was really usefull in the original campaigns (not HOF), to bring secondary heroes "up to speed" so they actually could have a decent array of spells to hand.

also, playing single scenarios with wizards... if you manage to get the ultimate special, then you can teach all of your underlings anything they can possibly learn.

note that even with the changes, the omniscient wizard strategy still works.

a bit of a tangent, but I'm just now starting the 3rd campaign in HOF (I think I'm going to change the main hero's special - i hate that dark ritual crap), but overall, i found i had more fun with the campaigns than i did with the original, and they were a bit better written.

so, yeah, it's worth picking up if you have the cash handy.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Nov 2006, 07:48

@Sir_Toejam
Well,since you casted armagedon multiple times,you can at least answer the first of my questions.So,whats the answer? :D

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 24 Nov 2006, 08:13

ah, OK:

1. no. the unit receives ignite damage only from the first spell, though still recieves normal damage from the second fireball, of course.

2. hmm, that's a tough one, i know for a fact that the next normal fire spell cast after the mark DOES do double damage, even if the unit is "ignited", but I didn't notice if the mark increased the ignite damage as well, as I was usually just paying attention to the double damage given to the followng fireball (and typically the stack was more than dead afterwards). of course, in the case of armageddon, i didn't have any rune priests on the field.

3. the second fireball, and it's doubled.

4. I never tried it. any time I'm using armageddon, it's at the beginning, the middle, and the end. why waste time with a fireball when you can cast a spell twice as powerfull? I suspect the ignite damage is based on whatever damage the last spell cast caused, so in this case, the ignite damage from the fireball would be taken in the round you cast armageddon, and then the following round's ignite damage would be from the armageddon.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”