Dwarven Magic

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Dwarven Magic

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 19 Nov 2006, 07:03

I haven't seen the dwarven favored magic schools posted anywheres and I am about to start the dwarven campaign so I did a quick test with the map editor to determine the magic types favored by the dwarven mage guild.

Light and destruction are the 2 favored schools.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 19 Nov 2006, 07:09

Makes sense and runs along with the rune magic also. Probably they will be what the Academy should have been with less mana :). Runes replace mini-artifacts (cheaper short term, more expensive long run). Any how, destruction will be a must with Ignite, and Armeggeddon will be highly sought after by them. Light helps their damage, speed, ect so that too will come in very handy. Will take awhile to find the right combo of skills :).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 19 Nov 2006, 07:34

One of the Dwarf heroes starts with Advanced Light. With all those slow armies, Teleport would be a spell to have.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

ikkiphenix63
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ikkiphenix63 » 19 Nov 2006, 10:21

Mytical wrote:Makes sense and runs along with the rune magic also. Probably they will be what the Academy should have been with less mana :). Runes replace mini-artifacts (cheaper short term, more expensive long run). Any how, destruction will be a must with Ignite, and Armeggeddon will be highly sought after by them. Light helps their damage, speed, ect so that too will come in very handy. Will take awhile to find the right combo of skills :).
true, in the campaign my hero had expert destructive magic+master of fire+ignite, it was absolute slaughter :)

if you have lava/magma dragons you can just only use them on the battlefield and spam armageddon (adding 33% of armageddon damage for the 3 next turn is painful for the ennemy and master of fire weakens all of his units too)

Even with a regular army you can do great damage with fire magic. Mark of fire from you dwarven priests+fireball = pain :D

Ho, and like with the elemental chains, eldritch arrow is indeed considered as a fire spell

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Nov 2006, 10:42

And what SP do dwarves generally have at higher levels?

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 19 Nov 2006, 10:44

It seems to me warlocks are little children compared to dwarves when it comes to destructive magic...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Nov 2006, 10:47

Somehow I remember someone saying that dwarven dracogedon was ok and warlocks wasnt because dwarves have much lower SP.Could it really be that unnamed someone was actually wrong? :devil:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Nov 2006, 10:53

He can't have been! :|
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

okrane
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby okrane » 19 Nov 2006, 10:54

Ignite seems to me an invitation to do dracogeddon... and mark of fire also...
IMO dwarves were never good at magic... in all other games, they were magic resistant not magic users... it would have made more sense them being a might faction...

Anyway mark of fire + ignite = ownage imo... I find it even stronger that Mark of the Wizard since it can potentially do 2 * 3 = 6 times fireball damage on a single cast, same mana cost, but over time... now if this isn't overpowered empowered spells I don't know what is...

Warlocks on the other hand, with their low knowledge can cast a lowsy 1.5*fireball damage at double the cost... I don't know what spell power must dwarves have to balance this... but if it's anywhere higher than rangers' spell power... I guess we have a new DD caster...

ikkiphenix63
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ikkiphenix63 » 19 Nov 2006, 11:04

At level 28 without artifacts my campaign hero was 18/14/24/14.

Of course there were some stats boosters, but since there is roughly as many stat booster of each type, we can say that dwarven heroes have a small preference on spellpower.

Btw, Ignite doesn't do 100% damage on each of the 3 following turns. The description is misleading. It does 100% additional damage DIVIDED on the next 3 turns, so that's 33% damage on the next 3 turns

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 19 Nov 2006, 11:04

Warlocks on the other hand, with their low knowledge can cast a lowsy 1.5*fireball damage at double the cost
...that doubles again with luck
...that costs the same (eventually) if you are using the hero with reductions to the cost of empower
...that can bypass the dwarve's natural resistance enitrely.
...that theoretically could do 3x damage with every cast

uh, beg to differ with your assessment.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Nov 2006, 11:21

ikkiphenix63 wrote:At level 28 without artifacts my campaign hero was 18/14/24/14.
Wow!That means that 20 leve dwarf on a large map would have ~15 SP?And they say warlocks are masters of magic.
Sir_Toejam wrote: ...that doubles again with luck
Works every other cast with maximum luck,while ignite always works.So while warlocks do 3 times damage every other cast,dwarves do it always.
Sir_Toejam wrote: ...that costs the same (eventually) if you are using the hero with reductions to the cost of empower
Ignite works with every hero that gets it.Im guessing that there is also a dwarf that has some neat special tied with this,right?
Sir_Toejam wrote: ...that can bypass the dwarve's natural resistance enitrely.
No,only 50% of it,not entirelly.

Nelgirith
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nelgirith » 19 Nov 2006, 12:32

DaemianLucifer wrote:Ignite works with every hero that gets it.Im guessing that there is also a dwarf that has some neat special tied with this,right?
Nope, the only "magic" specials are Svea who cancels the Lightning Resists, Helvar who can randomly cast Righteous Might for each Light spell he casts.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 19 Nov 2006, 12:52

Now, before you all go overboard here, you should be aware of the fact that even with the changed resource demands in 2.1 you can't do everything.
On the normal map with one town Destructive Magic will be great only when you have the Fireball in the guild. Sure later on, Armageddon might be a powerful weapon, but you can't do everything at the same time. If you take Destructive Magic you need to take Master of Fire and Ignite - which will basically two wasted skills without Fireball. So you should build up to guild level 3 fast. Now, you do well to build the Rune thing fast as well because those are really good ones no matter what skills you pick. Lastly you want to build your level 5,6,7 creature dwelling and maybe even upgrade one or another which means you have to set priorities.
This is very different from the Dungeon situation where you can pick either MoL or MoI after building the level 2 guild which you will do rather early anyway and you can utilize your Destructive power no matter what.

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 19 Nov 2006, 13:04

At least runic guild 2 gives you up to lvl 4 rune spells and should be enough to keep you for some time.Even so building both mage guild 3 and runic guild 2 requires 6 of each precious resource.And 9000(!).Thane dwelling requires 20 gems and one can only guess what the new requirements will be.
Yep there will be some sacrifices.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 19 Nov 2006, 13:35

Isn t destructive / light already the sylvan way ?
And it appears that dwarves are sp/atack oriented, as dunjeon. That is good but I would have prefered atack/sp ...

Lastly you want to build your level 5,6,7 creature dwelling and maybe even upgrade one or another which means you have to set priorities.
... yeah because you expect us to use dracogedon at the very beginning of the game ???
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 Nov 2006, 20:22

Kilop wrote:Isn t destructive / light already the sylvan way ?
Considering that there are 4 magics,that leaves only 6 combinations of 2 of them,so dwarves would mimic one of the previous faction anyway.The only way this couldve been avoided is to completelly replace their guild with runic one,or add a new spell school or make them a full might town.
Kilop wrote: And it appears that dwarves are sp/atack oriented, as dunjeon. That is good but I would have prefered atack/sp ...
Id prefer if they had defense instead of attack,because thats what they seem to excell at,that is their thing.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 20 Nov 2006, 07:52

I just finished the dwarven campaign. Here is what Wulfstan looked like at the end of the game:

Attributes (without artifacts):
Att: 25
Def: 15
SP: 18
Kn: 11

I chose attack over defense at power up sites that gave a choice.

I did not get all the abilities I wanted, but he still did great.

I finished in 242 days.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 20 Nov 2006, 08:52

No,only 50% of it,not entirelly.
oh, dwarves have 100% magic immunity, do they?

oops, dwarves can cast armageddon all day long on a warlock with some BDs... incinerate don't help none there.

warlock can blast away with whatever spell they wish... and do tremendous damage, even to the dwarves' level 7s.

ignite is 33% of first turn damage for the next 3 turns.

theoretically, warlock with full luck is doing on average 225% damage every turn (assuming 50% luck, that's 150% from empower, plus the difference between that and 300% every other turn, so you with full luck you would add 75% for the average per turn.)

and that's with ANY DD spell, not just fire ones.

nope, dwarves still don't hold a candle to warlocks as casters.

far better than wizards, though.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 22 Nov 2006, 11:12

I checked what the manual says about Dwarven Hero development:

Runemage is 20/30/30/20 % which means, they have the same spell power than Wizards, but only half as much mana (when reaching level 21) which means that magically they are something like Wizards without the Mark of the Wizard ability and a knack for fire instead.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”