Official - Hammers of Fate Has been Released

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 15 Nov 2006, 18:40

Yes you can play because the addon is a separate install.
After you've installed it you can start version 2.0 and play under it oder version 1.x and play under that as well.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 15 Nov 2006, 18:46

Caradoc wrote:Download is available now. Please don't start yours till mine finishes. :devious:

I really do think this is the way to sell software. Cuts the whole retail channel out of the picture, which provides more profits for the seller and lower prices for the buyer. (Since I will not need to drive 60 miles to the store and will not have to pay Texas Sales Tax, I save about $10 on the deal.)

When you think about it, it's positively absurd that they burn the game onto CDs, stuff them into boxes, truck (!) the boxes to the store, put the boxes on shelves and wait for customers to drive to the store, buy the box, return home, and load the game onto a PC that is on the SAME NETWORK as the developer.
How many times will they let you download it? Can you copy it to a CD in case of hard drive failure and need to reinstall?

That is what keeps me from going that route.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 15 Nov 2006, 18:47

Jolly Joker wrote:Yes you can play because the addon is a separate install.
After you've installed it you can start version 2.0 and play under it oder version 1.x and play under that as well.
Oh. Okay. Thank you. :)

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 15 Nov 2006, 19:41

LindaG wrote:
How many times will they let you download it? Can you copy it to a CD in case of hard drive failure and need to reinstall?

That is what keeps me from going that route.
On your first question: I don't know how many times you can download but I am sure they give you a year or two. You might email them and ask them.
On your 2nd question: Yes, you can copy the download to a CD, at least I have been able to with other games I've downloaded. I would copy it as soon as you get it downloaded before you install it myself...
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

tumorbane
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby tumorbane » 15 Nov 2006, 20:27

soupnazii wrote:no way im getting it. im not spending $30... maybe for 10 or something, but until then i can live without the expansion. what i really want to see though is a picture of that snow ape already!!
You aren't exactly tearing down any stereotypes there. Stop whining and shell out the measly $30. You'll get your money's worth.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 Nov 2006, 20:37

tumorbane wrote: You aren't exactly tearing down any stereotypes there. Stop whining and shell out the measly $30. You'll get your money's worth.
Measly? :loll: :rofl: As for the youll get your money worth :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 15 Nov 2006, 23:29

On rmg:Can you specify the town lvl? I would hate having to start from lvl 1 every time I start a map.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 16 Nov 2006, 00:14

Caradoc wrote:I really do think this is the way to sell software. Cuts the whole retail channel out of the picture, which provides more profits for the seller and lower prices for the buyer. (Since I will not need to drive 60 miles to the store and will not have to pay Texas Sales Tax, I save about $10 on the deal.)
I read recently that in the U.K. alone, £23M pounds were wasted by people "waiting in" for internet deliveries that failed to show last year(I know this isn't for downloads, Caradoc, bear with me here....)

So they are thinking of erecting some special buildings where people can go and collect their goods and pay for them in person. They will be called "Shops"!

While I fully agree with the logic of buying by download, and may eventually get there, I am of the generation that likes to feel and see the box, manual etc. I still read actual BOOKS for goodness sake! So you are right, logically and costwise, I agree. I expect the trend will continue to grow.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Zhanrax
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zhanrax » 16 Nov 2006, 00:35

Well I have been playing it since yesterday and already was able to soft crash it. On mission 3 in the Haven campaign you have to capture 3 rebel towns and then go through one of two garrisons to capture this guy named Duncan. Well after I captured the 3 towns and went through the garrison, the camera strays over to Duncan and is supposed to show him gallop off of your screen. Well if you wait too long, the rebels will have some caravans in front of Duncan. The caravans block Duncan so he can't move! So basically you will get the waiting hourglass and you cannot do anything.
So I had to restart the whole mission and bust through the garrison before they built caravans :|
Nice job Nival... get some decent testers. :disagree:

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 16 Nov 2006, 01:37

soupnazii wrote:no way im getting it. im not spending $30... maybe for 10 or something, but until then i can live without the expansion. what i really want to see though is a picture of that snow ape already!!
Ummm..SoupNazi? Guess your faith is true then, won't spend the $30.00 for the full retail price & looking for the "Jewish" bargain @ $10.00? Good luck! It won't happen until it's 12-18 months out my friend.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 16 Nov 2006, 02:04

Sir Alock wrote: Good luck! It won't happen until it's 12-18 months out my friend.
Even better! By then they might have finished patching it. :D

erased. over. out
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby erased. over. out » 16 Nov 2006, 05:08

Caradoc wrote:EB expects it at noon Wednesday. Best Buy says Thursday.
I went to EB today (11/15) and they blamed it on UPS. I'm going to have to check again tomorrow. I didn't have much luck at Best Buy either- their website is really awful and the workers aren't that helpful, sad to say. When I asked them about the expansion, they looked at me like so: ;|

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 16 Nov 2006, 05:29

Bonzer wrote: While I fully agree with the logic of buying by download, and may eventually get there, I am of the generation that likes to feel and see the box, manual etc. I still read actual BOOKS for goodness sake! So you are right, logically and costwise, I agree. I expect the trend will continue to grow.
I'm no spring chicken either, bub. I can remember when there was stuff in the box besides the CD and installation instructions. The boxes were heavy and came in all different sizes. For instance, the early Ultimas included a cloth map, charts, figurines, tokens, coupons, fliers, and a big fat manual.

Books I still buy. Newspapers, not so much anymore.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 16 Nov 2006, 06:02

Caradoc wrote: I'm no spring chicken either, bub. I can remember when there was stuff in the box besides the CD and installation instructions. The boxes were heavy and came in all different sizes.
Those were the days.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Bonzer
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Bonzer » 16 Nov 2006, 11:37

Omega_Destroyer wrote:
Caradoc wrote: I'm no spring chicken either, bub. I can remember when there was stuff in the box besides the CD and installation instructions. The boxes were heavy and came in all different sizes.
Those were the days.
Aaaah Yes! INFOCOM anybody?

To keep this on track (ducks before mods arrive), I will probably buy HoF when I can tear myself away from the excellent fan made maps. Almost certainly before Christmas though.
We will either find a way, or we will make one. Emperor Hannibal.

Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 16 Nov 2006, 12:43

Caradoc wrote: I'm no spring chicken either, bub. I can remember when there was stuff in the box besides the CD and installation instructions. The boxes were heavy and came in all different sizes. For instance, the early Ultimas included a cloth map, charts, figurines, tokens, coupons, fliers, and a big fat manual.

Books I still buy. Newspapers, not so much anymore.
And the games did not require continual patching. The number and sizes of patches these days is insane.

I've never been much for reading newspapers, but I've always loved to read books. Sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, horror mostly.

GOW
Frodo: "I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 16 Nov 2006, 14:18

Bonzer wrote: While I fully agree with the logic of buying by download, and may eventually get there, I am of the generation that likes to feel and see the box, manual etc. I still read actual BOOKS for goodness sake! So you are right, logically and costwise, I agree. I expect the trend will continue to grow.
Exactly. lol. If I am spending the money, I want the goods. I shouldn't have to burn it to CD. It's annoying enough (and expensive) that they make you print the manuals now. :P

The Mad Dragon
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby The Mad Dragon » 16 Nov 2006, 15:14

I plan on shelling out the whatever amount it is to get this expansion. Though, I still have to complete H3 and H4, then continue working on H5....yea, A lot of work ahead of me.

btw, I'm back :P

Mace the Councillor
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Mace the Councillor » 16 Nov 2006, 15:21

I am going to buy it as soon as I can get my hands on it. Hopefully, that'll be tomorrow.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 16 Nov 2006, 16:11

Kareeah Indaga wrote:
Sir Alock wrote: Good luck! It won't happen until it's 12-18 months out my friend.
Even better! By then they might have finished patching it. :D
Maybe so...But I spend @ least $100.00 on a Friday night partying with either the wife or the boys. $30.00 saves me money! As for the patching....It's not a perfect world is it? Looks like I'lll have my hands full with the expansion this weekend & you won't.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”