My Computer Should Run Better Than This - Opinions ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Comples
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

My Computer Should Run Better Than This - Opinions ?

Unread postby Comples » 05 Nov 2006, 13:58

It seems the game might run a bit slow on my rig. I get low 20's high teens when I zoom out to max. I am running at high detail with low AA at 1024 x 768.

Here are my specs:

AMD 64 3200 +
ATI 256 meg AGP x700 Pro
1 gig of DDR Ram

Is that normal?Although no a show stopper, I feel strongly my setup should perform a little bit better than that. This game should not be that demanding. When I zoom in framerates get higher.

Thanks for any input.
- complex -

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Re: My Computer Should Run Better Than This - Opinions ?

Unread postby Alamar » 05 Nov 2006, 14:47

I suspect that high teens to low 20s is fairly normal with your rig. Any slowness that you see are due to video settings and the HoMM 5 video engine itself.

Your memory and CPU are fine. As you already know your video card is low end but I'm not sure if I'd upgrade that component too much as your FPS should give you playable FPS.

Making sure that your video drivers are up-to-date and that your Windows is a stable gaming platform would be good things to check. Make sure that you're not running too many things in the background if possible.

If after this you decide that you'd still like to upgrade the only "low end" component of your system [video card] then take a look here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/10/31/ ... page4.html

Comples
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Comples » 05 Nov 2006, 15:20

I kinda suspect the video was the culprit. Although it is funny how much "data" the cards supposedly handle. They talk of pushing millions of polygons and such. Seems funny that a game such as HOMM V would run slowly in any given situation. Especially when my rig can handily run sims like LOMAC, FPS titles like Half-Life 2, etc.

I am familiar with Tom's. That is kinda like the bible for the budget minded. I my mobo was an PCI Express though. And you are correct, I don't see a better video card doing that much better for my rig. It is two years old and an overhual will happen in the spring (the whole shabang).

I was not complaining about the game at all. I absolutely love this title, and the whole M&M universe for that matter. They have that perfect blend of gameplay, humor, graphics, playability, charm, gameplay, and fun.
- complex -

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 06 Nov 2006, 01:33

I highly doubt the video card is a factor in performance beyond being able to render at all.

I get the exact same performance on a machine with an integrated nvidia 6150 as I do on my gaming machine with a radeon x800xl.

It's just a slow running game.

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 06 Nov 2006, 01:54

Consensus seems to be that a good video card is the most important factor in getting H5 to run smoothly, though I agree it is a slow running game. I can tell you my computer has all the umph required and lots more; the only thing which isn't super is my video card, and thus the game id choppy from time to time.

This is actually the first game I've played with such poor performance relative to its own demands. Even when satisfying the "recommended" specs the game doesn't seem to run smoothly at all times.

fly away
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby fly away » 06 Nov 2006, 02:03

Yeah. I hate the performance more than I hate the AI and bugs (if it's possible). It's especially disappointing for me, because I waited to get a new computer until the game was out.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 06 Nov 2006, 14:20

fly away wrote:Yeah. I hate the performance more than I hate the AI and bugs (if it's possible). It's especially disappointing for me, because I waited to get a new computer until the game was out.
I'm in the same boat ... I decided to get a new CPU, MB, memory, and video card around the time the beta came out in anticipation of H5.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 07 Nov 2006, 07:25

I think most everyone will agree with that, I have heard of people with 7800GT's complain about issues with panning and the like, so don't feel alone on this one
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”