the new video.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 04 Nov 2006, 10:26

Jolly Joker wrote:However, an attack (and this is true for the basic unit as well) has TWO components: the physical hit and the storm strike. BOTH do 9-14 damage (so the real damage is 18-28 except against units with some resistance against lightning).
Does the storm part do fixed damage, or does it scale with attack? I'm not quite sure which I'd prefer, but for a level 6, I think it would be the latter.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 04 Nov 2006, 10:54

It scales with the attack. Actually the damage in normal combat is simply doubled: The unit does it scaled damage and that same damage is added as lightning damage. The lightnig damage then jumps over.
The spell - the Storm Bolt - is working like a ranged attack without range penalty that does lightning damage which jumps over.
So they will do linear damage in bigger numbers like a shooter unit.

Adicto
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Adicto » 05 Nov 2006, 00:48

The video has a thing that worries me:

When 15 rune priests "attack" some marksmen, a fire wall rises under those poor shooters, killing 20 of them. I don´t know if it is the spell Firewall or the rune priest´s basic attack, but it last several turns.

This thing is very overpowered if you asks me.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 01:24

Down there it says firewall,so my guess is that the priest has casted firewall.(duh)

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 05 Nov 2006, 05:55

hmm, so have they changed firewall, then?

currently, you can't cast it directly on a stack, you have to cast in on open space and waith for the stack to move into it.

I could understand if someone thinks it's overpowered if you can now cast firewall anywhere on the battlefield.

Adicto
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Adicto » 05 Nov 2006, 06:41

So rune priests can cast Firewall just anywhere... man that is crazy!

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 05 Nov 2006, 09:15

FireWall anywhere will be great attacks against shooters and casters. IF they`ll hold their position they`ll take damage or they`ll have to move away from the firewall and so not doing any damage for one turn.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 05 Nov 2006, 09:23

Umm, Firewall works that way in 2.0. I don't know whether it's in 1.3 as well, but in 2.0 you can cast Firewall everywhere you like even onto your own units and even onto an existing Firewall.
Rune Patriartchs (the upgrade only) have the Firewall spell and the spell points to cast it once per battle. The real interesting thing is of course the Firewall spell in combination with the Mark of Fire ability.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 05 Nov 2006, 09:31

Well that is nice to know JJ, still it is a bit odd you don't know how it works in 1.3...but that is ok you have a lot of things to uncover and moved on to 2.0...(must be nice) Anyhow, firewall cast anywhere I have been waiting on for awhile. Would be very nice..cast on ranged units (that are not immune to fire) and make them give up a turn (or two) to avoid being burned alive..all the while your units move closer and closer. Can see academy and dungeon getting a bost with this so that would be nice. Maybe Necros wont be so potent now (skellies, skellies, your skellies are on fire!! hehe).
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 05 Nov 2006, 11:16

Mytical wrote: Would be very nice..cast on ranged units (that are not immune to fire) and make them give up a turn (or two) to avoid being burned alive..all the while your units move closer and closer. Can see academy and dungeon getting a bost with this so that would be nice.
Yeah...It covers quite a little ground and may hit multiple targets,who'd rather wait :devil:
But...You use dungeon with summoning? 8| Or know anyone that does?Hehe.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 05 Nov 2006, 11:24

Sometimes yes, but that is because I like to do weird things lol. Like having necromancers with Light Magic and not dark magic :). Anyhow, it will deffinately inter into strategy. Think about it, forcing your enemy to take damage if they stay in front of those archers..or even hitting the archers themselves forcing them to move instead of attack...could get interesting.
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 05 Nov 2006, 11:31

Come to think of it,it does high damage-not sure compared to meteor shower but I'll check it.Still it's not a guarantee you'll get it and we don't know if summon elementals has been improved.
My first though was:Yay!Academy just got buffed! :-D

Edit:Hmm up to advanced FW does 50+10xSP while MS 15+15xSP
On expert FW does 75+15xSP while MS 20+20xSP
Seems more useful with low spellpower but even so it's good enough.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 12:37

Ah,but MS is instantenious,and firewall lasts.Can you adjust the direction in which it will spread?And its nice to know that they boosted summoning.GOW,what do you have to say now? :D

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 05 Nov 2006, 13:55

Jolly Joker wrote:Umm, Firewall works that way in 2.0. I don't know whether it's in 1.3 as well, but in 2.0 you can cast Firewall everywhere you like even onto your own units and even onto an existing Firewall.
Rune Patriartchs (the upgrade only) have the Firewall spell and the spell points to cast it once per battle. The real interesting thing is of course the Firewall spell in combination with the Mark of Fire ability.
JJ, how AI reacts to FireWall? Will it move his shooters from fire or will continue shooting while archers are on fire?

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 05 Nov 2006, 14:10

All I got to say is, as long as they don't nerf Academy some other way this may help me enjoy H5 (I am a Academy fan too much perhaps). Not to mention the Dorfs :) ...er Dwarfs lol. Anyhow this shows much promise :). Just wonder why inferno don't gain some bonuses for casting fire magic..not enough to complain about it or anything, just curious. Anywho depending how this turns out I may be one of the first to either issue some huge appologies to JJ or to post huge complaints...hehe. I am sincerly hoping the first. (For all my negative posts will be seriously hindered if they help my favorite town, which will mean that JJ was correct and I owe him a huge appology. Or that they nerf Academy more and I will continue to be upste about that :). )

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 14:33

Dont you go mess with the dorks...I mean dwarves.They are potent spellcasters nowImage

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 05 Nov 2006, 15:14

@Meandor.
That's a very tough question, for two reasons.
1) I haven't been in any situation with a chance to really put this to a test. The main reason for this is that the level 5 upgrade is a very tough one to get. I don't think I'm spilling too much when I say that while you will need all resources for the Dwarven dwellings, you'll need (amongst others)
10 of a certain precious resource for your basic level 5,
20 (!) of that same precious resource for your basic level 6
10 of that same precious resource for the lvl 5 upgrade and
10 of that same preccious resource for the lvl 6 upgrade
Moreover you can spend 11 res for the mage guilds and another 6 for the runic shrines. The level 4 upgrade costs another 5 of those.
All of that means, upgrading your level 5 is not all that easy.
2) I wouldn't know out of hand myself when it's generally good to move creatures out of the Wall. Afflicted units suffer when the spell is cast and then directly after finishing their turn - which means they suffer once, if they leave immediately. On the other hand, moving is losing a shot as well - the unit may not get another shot after having moved. So I'd think that if a shooter stands in a wall, the bigger the difference in armies the clearer it is that the shooter should stay and shoot to do at least SOME damage. On the other hand, a really big shooter force like Skeleton Archers, let's say a thousand: why should they move (and forego a heavy damage shot) just because they will lose, say, 60 Archers? So obviously intelligent AI behaviour would depend a bit on the percentage of damage the firewall will do compared to the damage a shot will do, so I don't think there should be a never/always regulation.
@Mytical
Forget apologizing. I wouldn't know why, anyway, in any case. By the way, I wonder whether you've fought through any of the maps.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 15:28

And the resource mentioned is?Come on,the game is almost there,surelly you can spill such a triviality like that.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 05 Nov 2006, 15:29

Jolly Joker wrote:10 of a certain precious resource for your basic level 5,
20 (!) of that same precious resource for your basic level 6
10 of that same precious resource for the lvl 5 upgrade and
10 of that same preccious resource for the lvl 6 upgrade
Sounds scary :scared:

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 05 Nov 2006, 15:53

Lets put on a bet, which resourse it is :) The winner gets..hmm, praise from the others?

I'll guess it's Gems.

Btw, the new Fire Wall... YAY! Go Summoning.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”