AI in Heroes of Might and Magic 5 - Nival principles

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Please read the first post first. Your opinion on what H5 AI should be like:

Agree with Nival. I feel myself entartained only when I win. So AI should lose(yield) to me after some time.
10%
Not agree. AI in H5 should play as close to human as it can. That would entertain me.
90%

Total votes: 71

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Oct 2006, 19:59

Jolly Joker wrote:The biggest problem is that people want an AI that they can be proud of of having it beaten because it is so darn smart.
:lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

No, we want one that isn't a complete idiot, and only challenging because he gets more troops and sh1t. What would be so hard to make it an option to play the AI with and without cheats. That's what the difficulty levels are for.
Play the game a few weeks and no AI in the Homm world will beat you without having advantages over you.
Problem is that you don't need them weeks for this one.

The fact that the AI can't play without cheats at all is the big problem. That's not how it should be built, first you should make it work as well as it can without any help and then make it more competitive.

@zarakand
Yeah, he got really good at being civil after all this time.
Meandor wrote:In other words JJ is playing another game so isn`t all this disccusion stupid and pointless?
No, he's the only one who gets the AI because they're both playing another game. :devil:
Last edited by ThunderTitan on 28 Oct 2006, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 28 Oct 2006, 20:00

DaemianLucifer wrote:I doubt those are hard because AI is so great.
zarakand wrote: Sorry if this question sounds noobish, as I'm fairly new to the forums. What do you mean playing version 2.0?
He means he works on the heroes as a translator,and thus gets each version much before us.He is playing farmers of hate for some time now,apparently.
Umm, err, did you play ANY mp map at all?

Yes, I'm playing the addon for quite some time now.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 28 Oct 2006, 20:15

Jolly Joker wrote: Yes, I'm playing the addon for quite some time now.
Since you are ignoring my AI related questions Ill try others.

Can you shed some light on Raise Dead & Ressurect in 2.0?

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 28 Oct 2006, 20:26

Resurrect is back to pre 1.3.

What are you talking about for the rest of your post? Do you want a blueprint for the H IV AI or what?

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 28 Oct 2006, 20:45

Im not sure about that.Ill have to ask Sir_Toejam to check,because I have no idea where the starting bonuses are located.
IIRC, they are here:

GameMechanics\RPGStats\DefaultStats.xdb

starting around line 415

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 28 Oct 2006, 20:55

Many scientists and philosophers seem to believe that Heisenberg proved the general impossibility of determining every variable and I tend to agree with them.
JJ, you are grossly overgeneralizing here. for effect, i presume, but that wasn't the point of Heisenberg's postulates at all.

You can, in fact, determine every variable, you just can't determine them all simultaneously.

but aside from that, what the hell does Heisenberg have to do with progamming game AI, considering the mechanics of the game are entirely programmed to begin with?

"randomness" in a computer game is really just constrained probability.

the probabilities are built into the game to begin with, so of course the relevant variables can be taken into account in building any kind of response by "computer players" within the game. It is in no way equivalent to the universe at large.

It really is a matter of time and effort, and thus economics. That's all.

bottom line, the AI in h5 could be far better than it is, and it puzzles me as to why you feel it worthwhile to argue the point ad nauseum.

as to whether it is "a blast", I find the first month on any map to be a challenge, but regardless, the AI appears entirely predictable in strategy, matching exactly what Nival has said.

It starts out very agressive, and then goes ultra conservative as soon as it takes a major loss or two.

with all factors equal, this makes the AI rather boring.

just like with h4, the thing that makes any map really exciting isn't the AI at all, it's the mapmaker.

..and just like with h4, it's the fans who will end up producing the really interesting maps that make the game fun to play, and take into account the predictable nature of the AI.

In that sense (the AI being predictable), one could say that itself is a good thing, as it allows mapmakers to customize maps appropriately.

but that's as far as it goes.
Last edited by Sir_Toejam on 28 Oct 2006, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 Oct 2006, 20:56

zarakand wrote:
Alamar wrote:
zarakand wrote:I think the biggest problem all of us are having is that that Jolly Joker thinks the battle AI is very well done.
I think the biggest issue with JJ is that from all appearances he seems to be a complete HoMM5 homer.
Why go here? I mean I disagree with him, but he's been fairly civil even when the majority of us attack his posts. It just seems pointless to go to this level.
Do you know what the term "homer" even means? You act as if I disparaged [sp?] his heritage, intelligence, family, etc.

BTW: A homer is someone that is such a fan that they do not see faults with the object of their fandom that more objective observers would note.

The shoe does fit ... right?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Oct 2006, 21:01

Jolly Joker wrote: Umm, err, did you play ANY mp map at all?
Divided loyalties and rise to power.But I gave both up after a few weeks(too easy).

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 28 Oct 2006, 21:51

Jolly Joker wrote:The biggest problem is that people want an AI that they can be proud of of having it beaten because it is so darn smart.
That would be nice but I agree with you that it would cost way too much in development time, development resources, and computing power.

I agree with JJ that in order to provide a REAL challenge to an experienced [not necessarily expert] player then the AI is going to need some cheats. What those cheats are, how they are structured, etc. makes all the difference in the world though ....
Seriously, let's say you want a really tight game: if the AI plays under the same rules, how can the game be tight? First thing is, you need different amount of starting money and resources.
I disagree. The first thing that you need is you have to let the AI see the entire map. This will [somewhat] counter the effect of players who already know where everything is because they've played the map before.
That, however, is not nearly enough: if you get through the first, well, 5 or so weeks, you'll STILL beat it easily.
I don't imagine this is in any way an admission that the way the AI bonuses are structured implies that it is grossely unfair to human players?

Back to the discussion I imagine that knowing the entire layout of the map isn't enough but it's a good start. The AI theoretically should know enough of the area to plan how to take initial mines better than humans can. This should give the AI a boost in resources because it can plan for exactly how many troops to take to which mines in what order to maximize castle builds, creature growth, etc.
So what? Do you want other production numbers for the AI? Like we had in H 2 and H 3? What?

What other production numbers are you referring to? Are you indicating that on blanced MP maps that the AI received automatic creature bonuses in H2 or H3? I don't recall this. If you could point out a source I would appreciate it.

Either way giving the AI bonus creature production would be the sort of thing that I could NEVER support as a general rule whether it's in H2 or H5. [It's ok if the map maker wants to do it but the game itself should NEVER do this by default]
Actually I find the current situation not bad: the AI seems to have as much money as it needs to build and buy.
I think that the structure of how it gets bonuses is terrible. Currently the AI has far too much of an advantage in the first 4-7 weeks of a game because it can afford to build up it's castle and buy out troops without any resource restrictions.

Taking away the initial bonus and giving the AI daily bonuses of either +X% of what it is able to make itself by resource & money gathering OR making sure the AI has Y% more resources than the human players would cut down on this inequity dramatically.
However, attacking needs going to the one attacked, so you are on the defense first.
Each and every game shouldn't have to put you, as a human player, in such a defensive mode. It would be nice if an offensive philosophy would be a viable strategy but alass it's not.
If the AI doesn't beat you in the time of material superiority for whatever the reason it goes on the defense. It will have the material it gets into town and you will be forced to fight a - sometimes - very tough end battle.
And no matter what you do there really isn't a way to "lay siege" to an AI because the resource bonuses always kick in allowing it to fully buy out everything in its castle. It would be nice if there was something that the humans could do [at this point of the game] to prevent this.
If you have more than one opponent the game may develop different based on whether a far off AI player can conquer other AI players. If that's the case the AI will ruthlessly attack sending you one army after another.
If this happens, esp. if the victorius AI doesn't lose tons of its troops then it's almost a "game over" right there. The AI can afford to buy out everything in multiple castles even though you have no hope of doing anything similar to this.
Reading this here you'd think here are two different opinions (except my own). One part is saying, well the AI is no challenge at all (due to Nival's philosophy of "losing graceful"), while the other part is saying, it's no fun because the AI has to massive advantages and you don't have something of a regular play in the beginning because of the overwhelming advantage.
In a very odd sort of way that is exactly correct. The AI itself seems pretty feeble and must be propped up by the massive bonuses that it gets. Because the AI doesn't stand much of a chance otherwise it must act like a school bully and [while it's bigger than you] make sure that it takes your lunch money. :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 28 Oct 2006, 22:02

Alamar wrote: That would be nice but I agree with you that it would cost way too much in development time, development resources, and computing power.

I agree with JJ that in order to provide a REAL challenge to an experienced [not necessarily expert] player then the AI is going to need some cheats. What those cheats are, how they are structured, etc. makes all the difference in the world though ....
Considering the money and time that went into developing shiny graphics,and various graphic cards,I think it is posible to advance AI very much if the same amount of resources shifted into its development.But then again,AI wasnt needed for movies,and it didnt sell games,so thats why shiny became the priority.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 28 Oct 2006, 22:24

The first thing that you need is you have to let the AI see the entire map.
just to be clear, you did know that the AI in h5 does see the whole map from the start, yes?

or are you just speaking in general terms?

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 28 Oct 2006, 22:40

Its not dircetly by topic, but I would like ppl to know this.
I did a test few minutes ago which showed that AI in H4 does not see the entire map.
I tested this on small regular H4 map with 2 comps. To green one I gave big army. 10 or so tests showed that it needs 1-6 weeks to capture blue town.
After that I put some green pixies along the way to that town, so green could see it and a trajectory to it in the begining. And after that it ALWAYS captured that town withing 5 days.
So I belive map makers should consider that.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 28 Oct 2006, 22:43

Alamar wrote: That would be nice but I agree with you that it would cost way too much in development time, development resources, and computing power.

Like i said before, that's what difficulty lvls are for. An AI should be able to play the game without any cheats, even if it ain't gonna be much of a challenge to experienced players.

The AI gets too much of an advantage, but makes up for it in being dumb as grass. Not a dev "principle" i like.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Oct 2006, 08:20

@Alamar
You mean, you've played Heroes all these years and never noticed the different production values when you conquer an AI town on day 1? In H 2 and H 3 on Impossible at least (don't know about expert) the AI produces 1 additional unit on each level. The AI starts with bigger armies as well (the heroes come with more units). No one ever complained.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Oct 2006, 10:25

Jolly Joker wrote:In H 2 and H 3 on Impossible at least (don't know about expert) the AI produces 1 additional unit on each level.No one ever complained.
I wonder why?! :rolleyes:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 29 Oct 2006, 11:17

Jolly Joker wrote:@Alamar
You mean, you've played Heroes all these years and never noticed the different production values when you conquer an AI town on day 1? In H 2 and H 3 on Impossible at least (don't know about expert) the AI produces 1 additional unit on each level. The AI starts with bigger armies as well (the heroes come with more units). No one ever complained.
Play it on normal and tell me if it cheats then.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Oct 2006, 12:52

For God's sake it's handicapped in 5 on Normal as well: The computer starts with one third of what the player starts (exactly the starting amount for a human on heroic level). The AI casts at most level 3 spells and targets melee units, flyers and shooter/casters IN THAT ORDER. The AI builds every SECOND day only.
Incidentally, in H 2 the AI players start with more money and resources than the humans even on normal difficulty.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Oct 2006, 13:10

Jolly Joker wrote:For God's sake it's handicapped in 5 on Normal as well: The computer starts with one third of what the player starts (exactly the starting amount for a human on heroic level). The AI casts at most level 3 spells and targets melee units, flyers and shooter/casters IN THAT ORDER. The AI builds every SECOND day only.
Incidentally, in H 2 the AI players start with more money and resources than the humans even on normal difficulty.
What does that have to do with getting money for free?! I actualy find that even worse, why does it need to both be limited and cheat at the same time?!

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 29 Oct 2006, 13:32

What the hell are you talking about? If the AI can build only every second day and does not get any additional troops, what money can it use, even if it would get that money? I mean, if it starts at level 2 it will be at level 9 at the end of week 2. There isn't much to buy at this point.
So what the hell are you talking about? What kind of idiot rumor is this 10000 gold each day on normal difficulty anyway?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Oct 2006, 13:48

Jolly Joker wrote:What the hell are you talking about? If the AI can build only every second day and does not get any additional troops, what money can it use, even if it would get that money? I mean, if it starts at level 2 it will be at level 9 at the end of week 2. There isn't much to buy at this point.
Exactly. It's incredibly stupid.

And i'm not sure about the amount, but there is no way the AI could have all the money the Thiefs Guild showed him to have and all the creatures, building etc. while ignoring mines and shit. He also seems to get skills and abilities without having the reqs for them.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”