An interesting flashback

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Does HV have that special "something" for you?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 77

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 20 Sep 2006, 14:41

Jolly Joker wrote:@Naskoni
A lot blablabla.
How very nice of you, Naskoni spent a lot of time for trying to explain to you what is wrong with the game, and espcially about the support or rather no-support from Nival, writing a very interesting and smart post, but it seems you are too arrogant to understand that...he should be the one sick of all this talking to a deaf guy.

I wonder maybe you're an agent of Nival in disguise, one of those "fans" which praise the game while others are criticizeing it...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Sep 2006, 14:58

He did? Dear me, and I thought he wrote a lengthy hymn of praise on GalCiv 2.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 20 Sep 2006, 15:02

An error like "not enought mp" is no bug because it's neither in the source code nor in the design; it's in the text that are made not by Nival, but localized for each country by way of simple doc or xls files.
Misleading facts. That`s what usualy <insert your game here> haters do. Like H4 haters say that due to abomination, that H4 is, 3DO went down, they don`t care that H4 had nothing to do with it.
And here Nival is blamed for "bugs" which were left by others. It`s like blaming farmer, who sells milk to the factory, for uncleaned bottles in which milk is delivered to your homes. IIRC manual also wasn`t written by Nival.

Kilop
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Kilop » 20 Sep 2006, 15:12

He did? Dear me, and I thought he wrote a lengthy hymn of praise on GalCiv 2.

lol JJ, good one, but just keep the forum a peaceful place .... pls ??
I support(ed?) Nival... flame on !!!
The truth pure and simple is seldom pure and never simple...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Sep 2006, 15:14

Meandor wrote: Misleading facts. That`s what usualy <insert your game here> haters do. Like H4 haters say that due to abomination, that H4 is, 3DO went down, they don`t care that H4 had nothing to do with it.
And here Nival is blamed for "bugs" which were left by others. It`s like blaming farmer, who sells milk to the factory, for uncleaned bottles in which milk is delivered to your homes. IIRC manual also wasn`t written by Nival.
Thats why we need to blame the one that put them all together,the decisionmaker,the final sayer,the head,...Ubi is to blame for every blunder anyone does when doing any aspect of the game ubi owns,because its ubi that put that person on that position and its them that shouldve assessed if the person is up to the task.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Sep 2006, 15:44

Very general, but basically true.
In the end all the spelling and glossary error are the result of no (proper) proof-reading, which is noting else than a form of quality control. This in turn is the result of a combination of
a) (seasonally) not enough manpower to do it
b) all things are always "pressing" all the time and have to be done yesterday because as a rule time schedules have not much meaning.

You can say that the amount of errors will grow with the amount of (time) pressure on the shoulders of people responsible for something. The less time the more errors.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2006, 16:03

Jolly Joker wrote:@ DL and Mytical:
What do you think I included that quote for? So that everyone feel addressed? Yes?
Yeah, he already adressed you concerns....
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 20 Sep 2006, 16:40

Jolly Joker wrote:@Naskoni
A lot blablabla.
Translation: “Naskoni, you made a good, solid argument and I can’t think of any arguments nor counter-examples to prove you wrong. Thus I must dismiss the whole thing as insignificant or admit it has merit. Good job.”
Mytical wrote:I want to appologize for my outbursts. it is very unlike me, and I am very sorry. Sometimes I get carried away.
As TT said, you have no reason to apologize; you have every bit as much right to be here and voice your opinion as anyone else. :)
Jolly Joker wrote:He did? Dear me, and I thought he wrote a lengthy hymn of praise on GalCiv 2.
And now you’re just being petty.

Jolly Joker
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Jolly Joker » 20 Sep 2006, 16:45

Who cares, one way or another?

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 20 Sep 2006, 16:54

Please stop and think before posting. If you can't say anything more meaningful than that, it might be an idea to either say nothing, or spend further time to try to come up with a thoughtful reply.

STAY ON TOPIC, ALL OF YOU! AND DON'T RESPOND TO SPAM WITH MORE SPAM!
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 20 Sep 2006, 17:45

A question:

Why does "Too big for you" appear on my map selection screen? Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Happens with anyone else?
;|

(afraid of Ethric :ashamed: )
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Eternor
Super Peasant
Super Peasant

Unread postby Eternor » 20 Sep 2006, 21:29

.Ubi is to blame for every blunder anyone does..
Actualy a lot of the problems Heroes V has, can be considered Ubi's fault.

There is few interesting articles, that answers questions about Heroes V development and explains how Ubisoft affected the game, why there were feature cuts, design changes, low quality cutscenes, and so on.

The articles are in russian, but I could translate the most important answers and information, if anyone is interested.

The way of Heroes - article by lead designer of Heroes V.

Heroes of Might and Magic V postmortem - a written copy of speech by Nival's developer on Russian Game Developers Conference - KRI 2006.
(unfortunately, if you want to view this page, you have to disable javascript in your browser).

"What would happen if UbiSoft was publishing an animated cartoon about Winnie-the-Pooh..." russian and english version - A blog post by another Nival's employee - Dmitry Devishev, that illustrates the relationship Ubi and Nival had when they developed the game.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Sep 2006, 21:31

I heard bad things about both.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 20 Sep 2006, 21:34

Why does "Too big for you" appear on my map selection screen? Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Happens with anyone else?
the only time i have seen that is with the elven lords custom map.

I assumed it was a witticism of the author of the map.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Mytical » 20 Sep 2006, 21:40

"What would happen if UbiSoft was publishing an animated cartoon about Winnie-the-Pooh..." russian and english version - A blog post by another Nival's employee - Dmitry Devishev, that illustrates the relationship Ubi and Nival had when they developed the game.

All I have to say is :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :loll:
Warning, may cause confusion, blindness, raising of eybrows, and insanity. Image

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 20 Sep 2006, 22:08

Most unfortunately I don’t speak a word of Russian, but that last page for the first one, was that a comparison of the H3/HV Necropolis? ‘Cause if so, they got their facts wrong: last I checked there was no “Skeleton Archer” in Heroes III. (And if not, what is it???)

On a side note: Eee! A Heroes I screenshot! Makes me want to go off and play it. :-D

RedViking
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby RedViking » 20 Sep 2006, 23:10

I understand that there were problems between Ubi and Nival,
lucky for us camed out something decent and enjoying.
But both of them should work together and deliver some good stuff fast !
Because, imo, the Patches disappointed a lot of people
with balancing tweaks like the one when Nival forgot to modify the costs for the Magic Guild of the Necros :| )
I am not a fun of such "features" and improvements. :S
Live Long And Prosper ! \V/

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 20 Sep 2006, 23:26

Eternor wrote: "What would happen if UbiSoft was publishing an animated cartoon about Winnie-the-Pooh..." russian and english version - A blog post by another Nival's employee - Dmitry Devishev, that illustrates the relationship Ubi and Nival had when they developed the game.
Publisher: We have been publishing cartoons for a long time. It is ESSENTIAL that the names are changed.
Yes,I can so imagine ubi saying this.They destroyed heroes same as they did prince of persia.

Sir_Toejam
Nightmare
Nightmare

Unread postby Sir_Toejam » 21 Sep 2006, 00:30

with balancing tweaks like the one when Nival forgot to modify the costs for the Magic Guild of the Necros )
yeah, that was pretty lame. As soon as it was discovered that this was an actual oversight, I fixed it.

yay me.

https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm5/ ... ildfix.zip

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 21 Sep 2006, 01:36

which is noting else than a form of quality control.
that would be the form of quality control that was lacking correct?? Is that not the whole problem?

and that was a wonderful post naskoni, a shame the person it was addressed to was outmatched and chose to try and dismiss it, but it's ok we here know all about JJ
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”