Best tier 7 creature?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What's your best tier 7 creature?

Poll ended at 29 Sep 2006, 07:12

Colossus/Titan
29%
Shadow dragon/Black dragon
20%
Angel/Archangel
22%
Devil/Archdevil
7%
Bone dragon/Spectral dragon
2%
Green dragon/Emerald dragon
20%

Total votes: 59

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 04 Sep 2006, 17:55

Honestly it's a pretty close tie between titans, emerald dragons, black dragons, and arch-angels. The tier 7 besides the spectral dragons and arch-devils are pretty balanced in relation to each other. It's just a shame that they are rather boring to use and not balanced compared to the other units in the army.

wayne
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby wayne » 07 Sep 2006, 08:53

I like all the tier 7 creatures, except for the Spectral Dragon, which I feel is quite a bit weaker than the rest.

RaSmuShaDoW
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby RaSmuShaDoW » 08 Sep 2006, 14:22

Toejam wrote:Would say Titans and second Archangels, the Dragons in this part of Heroes are kinda lame because they can't even fly to the enemy in 1 turn... thus are subjects to ranged attack from the enemy first...
Is there any dragon that can't reach enemy in one move? :)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Sep 2006, 15:41

RaSmuShaDoW wrote:Is there any dragon that can't reach enemy in one move? :)
None of them can.Emeralds and blacks can reach just the 4 tiles directly opposite them.So if you put them in the middle,theyll suffer from shoots from the corners.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 08 Sep 2006, 15:56

DaemianLucifer wrote:
RaSmuShaDoW wrote:Is there any dragon that can't reach enemy in one move? :)
None of them can.Emeralds and blacks can reach just the 4 tiles directly opposite them.So if you put them in the middle,theyll suffer from shoots from the corners.
Tatics and windstrider boots.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 08 Sep 2006, 18:00

Even with tactics you cannot get to them all,and you cannot relly on an artefact to win.

Son of a plunder
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Son of a plunder » 08 Sep 2006, 18:21

MrSteamTank wrote:It's just a shame that they are rather boring to use and not balanced compared to the other units in the army.
Actually I like that. Unlike the other HoMM parts here you don't totally rely on your top tier unit.
And another good thing is the fact that you don't have to upgrate (most of) your units in order them to be strong enough.
My favourite 7-th tier unit... As MrSteamTank - they're all pretty balanced. Therefore I have no favourite 7-th tier unit.

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 09 Sep 2006, 02:30

Why would you WANT your level 7's to be next to your enemy first move? That's some rather expansive cannon fodder. Plus, as defense became less effective, they're best used as damage dealers, not takers.

I don't know why so many more people like titans. Their non-upgraded version is so useless, and their upgraded version is so ridiculously expansive.

MrSteamTank
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby MrSteamTank » 10 Sep 2006, 02:02

Son of a plunder wrote:
MrSteamTank wrote:It's just a shame that they are rather boring to use and not balanced compared to the other units in the army.
Actually I like that. Unlike the other HoMM parts here you don't totally rely on your top tier unit.
And another good thing is the fact that you don't have to upgrate (most of) your units in order them to be strong enough.
My favourite 7-th tier unit... As MrSteamTank - they're all pretty balanced. Therefore I have no favourite 7-th tier unit.
I like the idea of not having to rely on the top tier unit. However, if the top tier unit has nothing really going for it other than being buff then it becomes kind of lame. Most of the lower tier units are more interesting than the tier 7s and it kind of sucks. I'd the say the tier 7 with the most interesting abilities is either the pheonix with rebirth or the arch-angel with ressurection. Otherwise they are just plain ol' buff shooter/flyer/etc.

If the tier 7s aren't overall stronger than the other tiers then at least give funky specials that really set them apart. Such as giving spectral dragons the old school aging skill from homm4 which made them extra dangerous even though they are quite weak. Or perhaps allowing titans to create thunderstorms in AoE areas that last a few turns. Allowing green/emerald dragons to sacrifice a turn to gain an extra turn during the next attack allowing for burst attacks.

It just seems that when you the building to purchase the top tier unit is so much more expensive than any other then the top tier unit should be special in one way. If not in stats then in unique abilities that really set it apart and in certain situations really flip the gameplay.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 10 Sep 2006, 16:08

I agree. I really was disappointed with the 7th tier units. Summon lightning seemed like a total waste of an ability. Immunity to earth spells, which was nice for warding off Implosion spells, is another good example of a useless tier 7 ability. With piercing magic, the Black Dragon's immunity is downgraded which downgrades the usefulness of the Black Dragon. The only tier 7 unit I felt was worth the cost was the Arch Angel due to the always useful resurrection ability.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

Shauku
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Shauku » 10 Sep 2006, 18:04

After facing a Knight with +15 Defence and has Expert Deflect Arrows on Arcangels standing next to Squires.... Summon Lightning seems like a very good deal ;)

sylvanllewelyn
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby sylvanllewelyn » 11 Sep 2006, 01:43

Not all level 7 abilities are useful, but from my experience, the ones that are "useless" on paper are actually very useful in practice, and VICE VERSA. For example, Immunity to Earth is a lot more relevent than you think, because it forces you to deal with their high initiative. It's relevent enough that I chose emerald dragons as my favourite level 7's, as without it, my favourite will be the blackies.

Call lightning is very useful, because wizards don't have much might skills anyway and ranged attacks won't deal much damage. Archangel resurrect ability is not that useful because knights have to charge the enemy before they unload all their mana, and that means attacking and with the angels and letting them die first.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”