New here, Questions about the game.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Marine OKeefe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

New here, Questions about the game.

Unread postby Marine OKeefe » 24 Jul 2006, 21:34

Hi :-D

After dusting off and installing HoMM IV, I decided I would like ot try out HoMM 5, so I purchased and dnowloaded the game through Direct2Drive and after reading about the bugs in version 1.0 I decided both patches were 100% needed. After fighting with the thing for a few hours and ifnally getting the patch to install without complaining that the game was not installed ( I did this by installing patch 1.1 with the game running )

I jumped into the game and started off in that Riddle Map, Im not good at math so I quit. I was kinda upset to see there were so few options for setting up a skirmish, I couldnt pick my color, allies, faction or anything for that matter, not on any of the maps I tried! I wanted to start of with a 2vs1 (me&ai vs another AI ) But that wasnt possible.

So I went into the camgaign and now im up to Haven Map 3 and I have a few questions which didnt get answered by the game, and I dont get a manual.

Training: Whats the deal with this? Why cant I upgrade peasants to consripts? and why do Archers turn into footmen instead of Marksman? Marksman also turn into footman?! Whats the logic behind this!?

Armies: So now I cant have non-hero lead parties? So much for calling in reinforcements or having an artifact delivered via messenger... and the Caravan system is just non-existant?! Why?!!?

Also whats the limit per-army? I was having trouble adding more peasant to my army, where it just refused to let me add them over 300 total units, but then I went to a farm and recruited 20some more then I could have as many units as I wanted!?

6 Factions, Why do I only see 3 or am I missing something? I hope I am, but I still only see three playable factions. Where is my beloved Might faction?

Mod manager, Link me!

Editor, whats the news on this?
"Praised be Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour"
"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful"

maltz
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: New here, Questions about the game.

Unread postby maltz » 24 Jul 2006, 21:48

Marine OKeefe wrote: Training: Whats the deal with this? Why cant I upgrade peasants to consripts? and why do Archers turn into footmen instead of Marksman? Marksman also turn into footman?! Whats the logic behind this!?
Training refers to "Train tier one to tier two, tier two to tier three". Peasant and conscripts are both tier one, so you "upgrade" them, not train them.

Upgrading can happen as long as you build a correponding building for the upgraded kind. However, only Haven heroes can train their units to higher tiers. This requires a special building in their towns.

When training, it does not matter whether your starting units are upgraded or not. They will both become the basic unit of the higher level. Archers and Marksmen both become Footmen. Peasants and Conscripts both become Archers.
Armies: So now I cant have non-hero lead parties? So much for calling in reinforcements or having an artifact delivered via messenger... and the Caravan system is just non-existant?! Why?!!?
You are correct. However, you can actually learn a spell called "summon creatures" when you have a mage guild lv 3, and a hero at least lv 10. In the next mission (4) you will start to see this magic offered.
Also whats the limit per-army? I was having trouble adding more peasant to my army, where it just refused to let me add them over 300 total units, but then I went to a farm and recruited 20some more then I could have as many units as I wanted!?
No idea what you are talking about. As far as I know there is no limit of number, but there is a limit of the "number of kinds".
6 Factions, Why do I only see 3 or am I missing something? I hope I am, but I still only see three playable factions. Where is my beloved Might faction?
Well this is only a tutorial campaign. You will eventually play as every one of them. However, there is no Might race. Gone.
Last edited by maltz on 24 Jul 2006, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jul 2006, 21:49

Wellcome.I hope my answers will help you.
Marine OKeefe wrote: So I went into the camgaign and now im up to Haven Map 3 and I have a few questions which didnt get answered by the game, and I dont get a manual.

Marine OKeefe wrote: Training: Whats the deal with this? Why cant I upgrade peasants to consripts? and why do Archers turn into footmen instead of Marksman? Marksman also turn into footman?! Whats the logic behind this!?
Training is havens special.It allows you to upgrade peasants and conscripts into archers,archer and marksmen into footmen,footmen and squires into priests,and priests and inquisitors into cavaliers.It differes from the regular upgrade.The regular upgrade can be found on the right(and icon representing a few faces,I think).That way peasants do turn into conscripts,and archer into marksmen.
Marine OKeefe wrote: Armies: So now I cant have non-hero lead parties? So much for calling in reinforcements or having an artifact delivered via messenger... and the Caravan system is just non-existant?! Why?!!?
Sorry,that was just in HIV.It wont appear in here because HIV is evil and should never existed.Say hello to dumb hero chaining and a cheap substitute to caravans called summon creature spell.
Marine OKeefe wrote: Also whats the limit per-army? I was having trouble adding more peasant to my army, where it just refused to let me add them over 300 total units, but then I went to a farm and recruited 20some more then I could have as many units as I wanted!?
:| This is the first time I hear about this.Must be a bug.
Marine OKeefe wrote: 6 Factions, Why do I only see 3 or am I missing something? I hope I am, but I still only see three playable factions. Where is my beloved Might faction?
You will see the rest later in campaigns.They arent very diverse,so youll mostly see just 2,3 factions per map.There is no might.But you get a treat of two elven races though.
Marine OKeefe wrote: Editor, whats the news on this?
Editor should appear in patch 1.3,which will appear god knows when.
Last edited by DaemianLucifer on 24 Jul 2006, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

LordErtz
Demon
Demon

Unread postby LordErtz » 24 Jul 2006, 21:51

Download Celestial Heaven's unnofficial guide. It should hopefully answer all of your questions about the function of the things in the game.

For all other inquiries, see the rest of the threads, which are 95% bitching and whining and complaining about how bad the patches are and how buggy the game is ;)

stijn
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby stijn » 24 Jul 2006, 21:55

I was kinda upset to see there were so few options for setting up a skirmish, I couldnt pick my color, allies, faction or anything for that matter, not on any of the maps I tried! I wanted to start of with a 2vs1 (me&ai vs another AI ) But that wasnt possible.
there's a little square you have to select that says something like 'list multiplayer maps too', the multiplayer maps are better imho.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jul 2006, 21:56

LordErtz wrote: For all other inquiries, see the rest of the threads, which are 95% ***** and whining and complaining about how bad the patches are and how buggy the game is ;)
And are 99,99% right,btw :D

Marine OKeefe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Marine OKeefe » 24 Jul 2006, 22:01

maltz wrote:
Training refers to "Train tier one to tier two, tier two to tier three". Peasant and conscripts are both tier one, so you "upgrade" them, not train them.

Upgrading can happen as long as you build a correponding building for the upgraded kind. However, only Haven heroes can train their units to higher tiers. This requires a special building in their towns.

When training, it does not matter whether your starting units are upgraded or not. They will both become the basic unit of the higher level. Archers and Marksmen both become Footmen. Peasants and Conscripts both become Archers.
You are correct. However, you can actually learn a spell called "summon creatures" when you have a mage guild lv 3, and a hero at least lv 10. In the next mission (4) you will start to see this magic offered.
No idea what you are talking about. As far as I know there is no limit of number, but there is a limit of the "number of kinds".
Well this is only a tutorial campaign. You will eventually play as every one of them. However, there is no Might race. Gone.
Thanks for the sad-news about my faction. I hope someoen makes a mod for it or something!

Thanks everyone else also! I can only quote one post a time on this forums though :-D
"Praised be Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour"
"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful"

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 Jul 2006, 22:08

Actually you can.YOu just copy the text,select it and then click on the quote button.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”