Most disappointing creature of Heroes V

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Grumpy Old Wizard
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Grumpy Old Wizard » 29 Jun 2006, 06:14

For me the most disappointing is the Djiin. They die quicker than a lot of lower level creatures and you can't even select the spells they cast. If they are going to be so fragile for their level make them dangerous.

GOW

Metal Wolf
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Metal Wolf » 29 Jun 2006, 15:06

ClownRoyal wrote:Devil/Arch Devil without a doubt. In Heroes 3, it could teleport anywhere on the battlefield, it had stats appropriate for a Tier 7 unit, and reduced enemy luck. In Heroes 5, it has no movement range, no luck reduction, and it just feels weaker than it should be.
You've forgot to mention his most important feature from H3 - No retaliation! that what made him so dangerous IMO...
Never liked the summon demon/ice-demon/pit fiend ability anyway...

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 29 Jun 2006, 15:21

I go for the Djinn too, make em look better (normal sized hands and head) and give em a HP boost both the Djinn and the Djinn Sultan. The basic now have 33, give em 55, the upg now have 40, give em 70. They can keep their random casting, since they in this game focusing on doing alot of damage in melee with their nice little falchions and are secondary used as supporters with their chaotic casting abilities :devious:

ClownRoyal
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby ClownRoyal » 29 Jun 2006, 18:37

thecheese wrote:Nebs is correct. Since he teleports, he can hit most places, but if you place him on either edge of the field, he cannot teleport to the opposite corner in one turn.

Worst unit looks...probably normal gargoyles. Unit that fails the most...well, probably the devil/arch devils, although if you can get ultimate gating, then they become the best level 7 creature. Zombies or iron golems would then get my vote.
I should have been clearer I guess. Their ridiculously high speed value along with teleport allowed them to teleport "basically" everywhere.

Regardless of the tiny portion they couldn't reach in Heroes 3, in Heroes 5 they are pathetically restricted in movement.

I am still really disappointed in almost every Tier 7 unit aside from Black Dragons, and maybe Titans. Everything just seems toned down too much to be impressive Tier 7 units. Archangels and Archdevils are no longer units I fear, instead they are units I take out after Paladins/Pit Lords/Nightmares/Cerberi. With Arch Devils you don't even need to worry about them doing too much damage. If you hang back/keep away, they won't even reach you before you are prepared for them unless the player uses teleport assault with them.

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 29 Jun 2006, 20:36

Inquisitors - really don't like shooting units serving more as cannon fodder than dealing real damage from away
Horned Demons - almost useless
ArchDevils - "short-range" teleporting is a shame
Titans - very sad, one of my favs from other heroes. They just don't do it now.
In fact, I'm disappointed with many of the shooters... dunno, shooting just seems to have been downtoned on this heroes (except for Succubus and that great chain skill).

And as general rule, completely agree with that:
MrSteamTank wrote:Most units with low initiative are pretty sucky. Unless they have some sort of secondary ability such as shield ally, entangle, or offensive spells(pitlord).

heromagraev
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

slow walkers

Unread postby heromagraev » 30 Jun 2006, 08:11

Slow walkers are almost always a waste of space, so my vote goes to:

Minotaurs, Hydras, zombies, footmen, horned demons, and to a lesser degree golems (march of the golems makes them pretty good).

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 30 Jun 2006, 08:57

I'm disapointed about every caster unit. Not because of their looks or something like that, but because of their spell damage reduction the more you have them. The system is ridiciulous. I know that without it 40 Pit Lords would masacre every unit, but 40 of them doing as much damage as 10 of them?

They should made the units doing less damage like 1 Archmage doing 12 damage with Magic Fist not 36 (more or less, I don't remember). I just can't stand it when 1 Archmage kills my damaged high-level unit because he does simply 2/3 damage as three of them!?

In H4 fighting many Genies was hard because of their spell damage, but there were ways to beat them without many casualties, so I think high damage for many caster units would not be such a problem...
heromagraev wrote:Slow walkers are almost always a waste of space, so my vote goes to:

Minotaurs, Hydras, zombies, footmen, horned demons, and to a lesser degree golems (march of the golems makes them pretty good).
I don't think so. Most of those units are very usefull.

Minotaurs saved my butt a couple of times. There are not that slow, and upgraded ones with their two attacks can do a lot of damage. And they are damage tanks too...

Hydras are too slow, but properly used they can be quite helpfull. And it's easier too hit many units with them than in HIII.

Footmen and Squires are tank units. Squire are great with protecting units from enemy fire, they reduce the damage while standing nearby. And they have shield bash which is usefull with Soldiers Luck.

But you're right Zombies, Horned Demons (though they have Gating) and non upgraded Golems are useless (well maybe later in the game, at the begining they are quite usefull).

Mod Note: Edit button...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 30 Jun 2006, 12:19

Iron/Steel Golems in the early game, in combination with Master Gremlins, ensures you take no loss against anything but shooters/casters.

Demons and Hydras can be made very useful with Teleport Assault. Plus, as you said, Demons have Gating.

Zombies are hopeless... Well, they serve as tanks to protect your skel archers in the first few weeks, but not because they're good: because they cannot do anything else, and you don't care if they die.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 30 Jun 2006, 13:09

My biggest disappointment is the Bone / Shadow Dragons. I fondly remember the "awe and majesty" that occurred right after I built a L7 creature building (in H2 and H3).

Right now, if I build bone dragons at all, it's only because I don't have anything else to spend my $ on. By the time I have dragons I really don't need them or even care.

To summarize I'm disappointed because:

1. They can't reach the other side of the battle field in one turn while a lot of enemy creatures CAN reach them.

2. Their special is not inspiring.

3. Individually they are weak.

4. Their buildings are a little expensive compared to their individual cost.

5. By the time I have them the skeletons are doing the real work.

6. I only bother fielding them a few times per game in LARGE battles

7. I have yet to find real strategic value from the creature.

It's kind of sad when your L7 creature is just a meat shield / diversion so the enemy doesn't concentrate their firepower on your real army strength :(

djtc
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby djtc » 30 Jun 2006, 13:25

Alamar wrote:It's kind of sad when your L7 creature is just a meat shield / diversion so the enemy doesn't concentrate their firepower on your real army strength :(
So true. Couldn't have said it better.

They should be the base of your strategy and just end up taking hits. I DO prefer losing Dragons than Liches.

Almost the same with Titans, keeping the enemy occupied while your Archmages do the real work.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 30 Jun 2006, 17:17

djtc wrote: They should be the base of your strategy and just end up taking hits. I DO prefer losing Dragons than Liches.
I couldn't agree more. Bone and Spectral Dragons are pretty expensive meat shields.

shaowito
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby shaowito » 04 Jul 2006, 06:04

bone/spectral dragons are way too expensive for just being meat sheilds,they are so bad you can laugh at them. There are some bad units but the bone/spectral dragons take the cake.

Jimmpi
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Jimmpi » 04 Jul 2006, 08:00

shaowito wrote:bone/spectral dragons are way too expensive for just being meat sheilds,they are so bad you can laugh at them. There are some bad units but the bone/spectral dragons take the cake.
i wounder why ubi made bone dragons so weak?? In HoMM IV they where one of the hardest creature så meet..The same goes with genis/Djinn...
Its a shame they became so weak :disagree:

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Jul 2006, 10:49

Jimmpi wrote:
shaowito wrote:bone/spectral dragons are way too expensive for just being meat sheilds,they are so bad you can laugh at them. There are some bad units but the bone/spectral dragons take the cake.
i wounder why ubi made bone dragons so weak?? In HoMM IV they where one of the hardest creature så meet..The same goes with genis/Djinn...
Its a shame they became so weak :disagree:
Well thats becaue there werent any upgrades, and fewer creatures in each town, not induvidually but considering the upgrades up to 14 different units. But Im agree that the genies should be beefed up alot in HP like: Djinn -50/85- Djinn Sultan. The Titans should get 210 HP. The spectral and bone dragons should also get a boost in HP or maybe initiative. Bone dragon should get 40% dmg reduction from ranged, 15% less dmg from melee. The Spectral Dragon should get 50% reduction from ranged and 25% dmg reduction from melee. Something like that, just dont let them be like the ghosts and spectres, avoiding attacks 50% of the time is way to much, maybe give the spectral dragons 15 or 25% chance for avoiding attacks. While bringing the ghosts and spectres percentage from 50% to 40% or 35% chance for dodging attacks except magic of course.

koganei83
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby koganei83 » 04 Jul 2006, 12:01

The worst units for me goest to the Zombies.. they are practically useless.. die before they can do anything...

next are the dijins.. they die just too easily... shd have more hp..

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 04 Jul 2006, 13:37

koganei83 wrote:The worst units for me goest to the Zombies.. they are practically useless.. die before they can do anything...

next are the dijins.. they die just too easily... shd have more hp..
At least with the Zombies you expect that they aren't going to do too much.

Meandor
Blood Fury
Blood Fury

Unread postby Meandor » 04 Jul 2006, 14:00

I don`t get why people think that zombies are useless. They are great meat shields. With necro most of the time you wait for enemy armies to reach you so zombies slow movement doesn`t count, they still can weaken enemy units and protect your skeletons from 2x2 units.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 04 Jul 2006, 14:41

Orfinn wrote:Well thats becaue there werent any upgrades, and fewer creatures in each town, not induvidually but considering the upgrades up to 14 different units.
Thats not true.An upgrade cannot be counted as a completely different creature.Maybe as half the one,or even a quarter.
Orfinn wrote: The spectral and bone dragons should also get a boost in HP or maybe initiative. Bone dragon should get 40% dmg reduction from ranged, 15% less dmg from melee. The Spectral Dragon should get 50% reduction from ranged and 25% dmg reduction from melee. Something like that, just dont let them be like the ghosts and spectres, avoiding attacks 50% of the time is way to much, maybe give the spectral dragons 15 or 25% chance for avoiding attacks. While bringing the ghosts and spectres percentage from 50% to 40% or 35% chance for dodging attacks except magic of course.
I really dont get why they stripped dragons and wraiths of the incorporeal ability.It was obvious that its the ability that needs correction and not the creatures having them.
Meandor wrote:I don`t get why people think that zombies are useless. They are great meat shields. With necro most of the time you wait for enemy armies to reach you so zombies slow movement doesn`t count, they still can weaken enemy units and protect your skeletons from 2x2 units.
If there was LoS Id agree with you.But considering that zombies will be useful in one of 20 battles,or less,they are pretty useless.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Jul 2006, 14:57

There are many creatures that could be more useful in battle, the Treants for instance, but are essentially the same as in past versions. And as a group, the Level 7s are a big disappointment, not the fearsome beasts you should find at the top of the pyramid. Double their damage and HP and they'd be about right.

The Djinn took a big drop from Heroes IV, but not so much compared to the sex-changers in Heroes III. Somebody needs to get those guys a new tailor, though. Their feathered hats completely cover the head and those huge gloves make them look like steelworkers. Ugh.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 04 Jul 2006, 18:58

And they just have to break their fingers, aw that sound *knack, knack* They itch to use them, no wonder since they are so BIG 8| :devious:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”