Is there a way to alter your predetermined level path?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Is there a way to alter your predetermined level path?

Unread postby thecheese » 21 Jun 2006, 23:27

I'm playing a map as Inferno, and I'm doing my best to try to get Urgash's Call. I've done everything right so far, but on my next level up, I'm not getting any of the choices for the path. No matter what I do, my next level up doesn't seem to change. Is there any way to alter it? Like wait a week, or a month, or something, so that my level up will change, or was I bound to fail the moment I started?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Is there a way to alter your predetermined level path?

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 23:38

thecheese wrote:I'm playing a map as Inferno, and I'm doing my best to try to get Urgash's Call. I've done everything right so far, but on my next level up, I'm not getting any of the choices for the path. No matter what I do, my next level up doesn't seem to change. Is there any way to alter it? Like wait a week, or a month, or something, so that my level up will change, or was I bound to fail the moment I started?
I think the only thing you can do is restart the map,since the random seed is there to stay.

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 21 Jun 2006, 23:40

Sigh, I figured as much. The forumla has been this way for basically every HoMM game to date, I just wondered if there was a way to break the pattern.

Also sucks because this was level 18, and I really don't want to spend another 3 hours on this any time soon.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 21 Jun 2006, 23:43

you could always cheat, if you want to get the ability without having to restart. be careful, though, cheating once can sometimes ruin the whole experience if you get used to it and do it all the time.

oh, and of course, don't do that in MP if it's possible ;)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 23:52

thecheese wrote:Sigh, I figured as much. The forumla has been this way for basically every HoMM game to date, I just wondered if there was a way to break the pattern.
Not quite.In HIII you could change it by simply moving another hero,or something like that,and in HIV you always had the "second chance".

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 21 Jun 2006, 23:57

Gus wrote:you could always cheat, if you want to get the ability without having to restart. be careful, though, cheating once can sometimes ruin the whole experience if you get used to it and do it all the time.

oh, and of course, don't do that in MP if it's possible ;)
And just what cheat would I have to use to fix this? It'd have to be someting other than a simple level up. And this would only be for utility purposes, I'm still doing all the work. =P

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 22 Jun 2006, 00:03

you could simply add the skill or subskill you want to your character. As for details on how to do that, i can't tell you, but doing a search on the forum should yield results. Otherwise, i'll look into it myself and try to dig up a link =)

Kiyoko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kiyoko » 22 Jun 2006, 08:50

Gus wrote:you could simply add the skill or subskill you want to your character. As for details on how to do that, i can't tell you, but doing a search on the forum should yield results. Otherwise, i'll look into it myself and try to dig up a link =)
that seems like something that could mess up the game. since you add a skill that takes up a slot that one of the skills you can chose between on lvl up would need. since those skills are already determined, what happens if the game notices that it can't offer that predetermined skill? maybe nothing, but what happens then if you actually choose that skill?

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 22 Jun 2006, 09:52

I've been giving skills to a hero and then levlling him for testing some stuff, and I didn't notice any problems, so tt probably works in the same way as when you get a skill from a witch hut. I.e. it's not the actual skills that are predetermined, but the random seed is kept. And indeed, in earlier games you could alter the seed by either restarting or levelling another hero.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

jaq
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby jaq » 22 Jun 2006, 19:04

Maybe there's a Witch Hut on the map?
Isn't HV dark elven history Polish-driven?

thecheese
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby thecheese » 22 Jun 2006, 20:05

That's a good idea, but from what I scouted, there isn't. More importantly, however, would be that I'd need to basically forfeit my armies to another hero, since I'd need to avoid all combat in order to get the skill before I leveled. And that's assuming the witch hut even has what I need, which would have to be luck (literally).

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 22 Jun 2006, 21:26

Have you tried leveling another hero first, then leveling the hero you're trying to develop?

Return to “Heroes V-VI”