Save games

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
LindaG
Scout
Scout

Save games

Unread postby LindaG » 12 Jun 2006, 01:28

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere. I did a search and couldn't find the information anywhere.
Does anyone know where Heroes 5 puts the saved games? When I start a new game I like to delete my old saved games to save space on the hard drive. But where are they?
What is the extension for the saved games? Perhaps I could locate them that way.

Thanks for taking time to read.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jun 2006, 01:32

Its in My documents -> My games.

But you also have the delete function in the save/load screens.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 12 Jun 2006, 01:51

be a little careful as well linda, as another person did the whole save game deletion thing and managed to kill his progress in the campaigns .... maybe move them first and see that it's not gonna cause a problem, then delete

just a suggestion

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 12 Jun 2006, 01:55

Whatever you decide to delete, don't delete the Campaign.sav file or the input.cfg or the user.cfg files. Then you should be okay. :)
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 12 Jun 2006, 07:43

I was wondering, you know the saves the game makes itsself? (Before cutscenes) are those safe to delete or are they part of what marks your progress?
~ Rapier.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 12 Jun 2006, 09:38

DaemianLucifer wrote:Its in My documents -> My games.

Ack. I don't want them on my C drive. Bah. *sigh*
Okay. Thank you. Much appreciated.
stefan.urlus wrote:be a little careful as well linda, as another person did the whole save game deletion thing and managed to kill his progress in the campaigns .... maybe move them first and see that it's not gonna cause a problem, then delete

just a suggestion
Ooh. Nasty. Okay. I would much prefer to move them as I don't want them on my C drive anyway. Thank you. :)
HodgePodge wrote:Whatever you decide to delete, don't delete the Campaign.sav file or the input.cfg or the user.cfg files. Then you should be okay. :)
Haha. Okay. I am glad you told me that, because otherwise I probably would have.

It's very annoying that I *have* to save to the C drive. I don't like that at all. It is very rude of them to make it that way. :(
Rapier wrote:I was wondering, you know the saves the game makes itsself? (Before cutscenes) are those safe to delete or are they part of what marks your progress?
hm. I would do as stefan.urlus suggested, and move them for the moment. Just in case it ruins your campaign.

Mod note: Please learn to use the edit button.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jun 2006, 10:27

Rapier wrote:I was wondering, you know the saves the game makes itsself? (Before cutscenes) are those safe to delete or are they part of what marks your progress?
You can delete them if you like.But Id use the in game delete button over the manual deletion anyhow.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 12 Jun 2006, 13:47

DaemianLucifer wrote:
You can delete them if you like.But Id use the in game delete button over the manual deletion anyhow.
Absolutely agree! Delete the save games while you are in the game itself is the savest way, than you know for sure you haven't deleted anything you weren't suppose to.. easy as pie! :D
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 12 Jun 2006, 14:02

LindaG wrote:It's very annoying that I *have* to save to the C drive. I don't like that at all. It is very rude of them to make it that way. :(
Blame Microsoft and the weird standards they try to establish, only to change their minds a few years later.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LindaG » 12 Jun 2006, 14:16

Angelspit wrote: Blame Microsoft and the weird standards they try to establish, only to change their minds a few years later.
Why do you say Microsoft? I mean, years ago games used to insist on saving to the C drive. Most publishers got around that. The earlier Heroes games saved to the game directory.

Why can't Heroes 5 save to the game directory?

Microsoft is blah though. lol.

Ah well. The graphics are pretty, but I don't think the game play is as fun as Heroes 3 or 4.

addicted
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby addicted » 12 Jun 2006, 14:58

LindaG wrote:
Angelspit wrote: Blame Microsoft and the weird standards they try to establish, only to change their minds a few years later.
Why do you say Microsoft? I mean, years ago games used to insist on saving to the C drive. Most publishers got around that. The earlier Heroes games saved to the game directory.
Why can't Heroes 5 save to the game directory?
Yes, I too agree on Microsoft ruthless controlling on many things, just gagging isn't it! :gong:

I installed my game on my Drive D, no problem but it didn't give me a 'choice' for the saved games.. :rip:
I personally think this issue tho is nival/ubi's decision of forcing the saved games in the document folder and I also think they should have given an option to allow the consumer to make the 'choice' of what folder we want to use which I am sure they could have implemented if they wanted too. They have the option to install the game to different Drive letters so why not the saved games? So I don't understand why they didn't do the same for the saved games.. weird..
How you Treat people & what You Do or Don't Do will someday come back to "Bite You" or "Bless You". The Choice is Yours & will Affect You Today & Everyday of Your Future. Granny

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jun 2006, 15:16

What happened to the choice?I remember that some games had choices for everything:Where to put music,where to save,where to store pritscreens,....Why dont we have those options anymore?

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

moving your save games

Unread postby Cunning Death » 13 Jun 2006, 00:47

LindaG wrote:
DaemianLucifer wrote:Its in My documents -> My games.

Ack. I don't want them on my C drive. Bah. *sigh*
Okay. Thank you. Much appreciated.
Well, that was a problem for me as well, considering my limited space on that partition. Some googlin' solved my problem. (I tried creating shortcuts first, but it didn't work...)

I tried this search and the first hit led me to the solution. It was an article about symlinks on win in a magazine called shell shocked. Maybe I should reveal my plan: i wanted a shortcut-like thing that Heroes V interprets the way I want. It is possible to do so, if you have a win xp or 2000, and ntfs partitions. So called "junctions" can be created: this is basicly an alias for a directory.

The article suggested some free programs that one can use to create and manage junctions, for example: Mark Russinovich's Sysinternals tool, Junction; Rekenwonder's Junction Link Magic and Anton Popov's Hard Link Magic. Personally, I prefer the first one and tested the second, which is my suggestion for you. Anyway, you can read the article for further details and more programs.
So, the method (with Rekenwonder's Junction Link Magic)
  1. create a >BACKUP< of your My Games directory :creative:
  2. move your My Games folder to the desired location
  3. use Junction Link Magic to create a junction named "My Games" that points to the new location of the folder
  4. use&enjoy
I don't know if any other game is using this "My Games" madness, but in this case you might want to move only your Heroes folder. I tested with Mark Russinovich's Junction (it needs enormous space: 16K), and now my profile lives happily on my drive D :)

try these at your own risk, I don't take responsibility for anything

hope I could help you

C.D.

ps. sorry for my English
ps.2. i moved about 200 megs, because I save before every main battle :)
ps.3. it is not as complicated as it seems to be

LindaG
Scout
Scout

Re: moving your save games

Unread postby LindaG » 13 Jun 2006, 10:22

Cunning Death wrote: Well, that was a problem for me as well, considering my limited space on that partition. Some googlin' solved my problem. (I tried creating shortcuts first, but it didn't work...)

I tried this search and the first hit led me to the solution. It was an article about symlinks on win in a magazine called shell shocked. Maybe I should reveal my plan: i wanted a shortcut-like thing that Heroes V interprets the way I want. It is possible to do so, if you have a win xp or 2000, and ntfs partitions. So called "junctions" can be created: this is basicly an alias for a directory.

The article suggested some free programs that one can use to create and manage junctions, for example: Mark Russinovich's Sysinternals tool, Junction; Rekenwonder's Junction Link Magic and Anton Popov's Hard Link Magic. Personally, I prefer the first one and tested the second, which is my suggestion for you. Anyway, you can read the article for further details and more programs.
So, the method (with Rekenwonder's Junction Link Magic)
  1. create a >BACKUP< of your My Games directory :creative:
  2. move your My Games folder to the desired location
  3. use Junction Link Magic to create a junction named "My Games" that points to the new location of the folder
  4. use&enjoy
I don't know if any other game is using this "My Games" madness, but in this case you might want to move only your Heroes folder. I tested with Mark Russinovich's Junction (it needs enormous space: 16K), and now my profile lives happily on my drive D :)

try these at your own risk, I don't take responsibility for anything

hope I could help you

C.D.

ps. sorry for my English
ps.2. i moved about 200 megs, because I save before every main battle :)
ps.3. it is not as complicated as it seems to be
Your English is quite good. Thank you for all this information. I appreciate it. I hope it's not too complicated, lol. I will back everything up before I try it because I am technically challenged. lol.
:)

Linda

Return to “Heroes V-VI”