simplicity - most important?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
dixing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

simplicity - most important?

Unread postby dixing » 10 Jun 2006, 20:42

ok first of all whoever bothers reading this one hello I'm new to the forum but very old fan of the celestial heavens site :)
I have been playing heroes since heroes 1 and throughout all the series.
I wanted to raise a point here which I havent seen in the reviews so far, the simplicity. by simplicity I dont only mean what ethric said about the infos messed up everywhere... I wanted to point out the speed of the actions themselves... I have tried on more then one computer (all of the computers were strong pc's with good specs) to run the game, on all of the computers the game itself ran good but theres always a little loading when entering the town, when entering creatures screen, when going underground, when doing autosave, all that stuff... now I know that its somewhat expected when graphics get upgraded and everything looks better etc etc... but after all said and done, I remember in heroes 3 in a new week when I had like 6 towns and 9 heroes and I had to do actions with all the heroes and in all the towns, everything went lightning fast, town here, hero there, click here, click there... 1 minute and everything done.
now back to heroes 5, the same thing happens, I have much to do and every little thing requires another small pause, another little loading... now u could say I'm a crybaby :P (wont blame you), but after a while it just squeezes all the juice in me...
so my suggestion and what I wanted to ask u all, maybe there should be like a performance-graphics meter in the options menu, cause right now the only thing I can do to decrease gfx is image quality.
if there couldeve been a performace-graphics meter that u could change to decrease the general gfx in the game and in the same time decrease the pauses between actions and stuff...just to smoothen things up.
now thinking about it simplicity isnt a good way to call it... nm I think u got the poing.

sorry that the whole thread looks very hurried up and not to proffesional, I was in a major hurry :)
plz tell me what u think

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 10 Jun 2006, 22:05

Yes, we all hate loading times in games, but as we all know sHINY is way more important.

And loading times also help you become a better person....

Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 10 Jun 2006, 22:20

Well, I would be inclined to say this is based on your computer... I don't have any wait on the screens but my pc is designed to run high spec fps games.

When I played heroes 2 however, my pc wasn't really up to scratch at the time and I had quite a lot of delay on those same things, which of course, cause no delay at all on any pc you might use these days...

I don't think they can really improve it anymore than it is, maybe neaten the coding a bit, but at the end of the day, it will just take a set amount of time based on the pc specs you actually have.
~ Rapier.

dixing
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby dixing » 10 Jun 2006, 22:37

hmmm I have a 2.4 intel pc... no time to really go into more specs but its strong enough... nvidia geforce 5200fx 128mb... all kinds of stuff... but its great and it runs everything great.
heroes 3 could run with 2 potatoes connected to a screen, and it ran pretty solid, it had a wide range of pc's it worked great on, same goes for heroes 4, I expect heroes 5 to work smooth on each and every computer.
now it works smooth but is there no way to decrease loading times and stuff... at least for me that point was the strongest point in the heroes game besides the gameplay itself.
hmph I guess it takes me back to my original old request, just release another expansion pack for heroes 3 that includes like 6 new towns, 60 new artifacts, 100 new creatures and shit... every expansion like this can keep me there for years :D

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 11 Jun 2006, 04:00

I doubt the original poster's computer is the problem. I ran the demo on a killer machine, and the whole graphical environment worked as smoothly as it's designed to -- and yet I still agree with the original poster. Because of the way it's set up, you simply can't jump quickly from town to hero to the other side of the map to another hero, and then to the kindom overview screen (because there is none) where you can look at everything at once and enter any town as soon as you hear the click of your button.

Because they concentrated on 3D presentation, the overall gameplay is much slower and information is much more difficult to keep in view and quickly access. It's a game made by people who were not targeting strategy gamers.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 11 Jun 2006, 06:23

I agree, never liked 3d in strategy games anyway.. Give me the basic graphics of Starcraft over the jungle of Warcraft 3, 2d of HoMM IV over the (admittedly) good looking world of HoMM V..

The whole game goes so slowly now; and even the good stuff that rises up the atmosphere of the game quickly becomes annoying.. The going ins and outs of towns, need to constantly rotate and move the camera to be able to see where the hell the hero is going and the combat animations all make up a game that could have been lightning fast..

That wouldn't mean light on strategy, on the contrary would give the players more time to think.. To my surprise, I've noticed that I've been making less and less decisions every turn the more I play HoMM V; I believe I am, unconsciously, trying to balance the time lost to prettier graphics by slashing my 'real' playing time...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 11 Jun 2006, 08:26

This has nothing to do with configuration.If I can run spellforce without a problem,or oblivion,or if I have enough RAM to make civ IV run smoothly,I shouldnt wait 3 seconds for each town to load.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”