give us youre grade!

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What grade will you give homm v?

0-50 a tradegy this game is bad
3%
50-70 this game is not a total loss but i regreat buing it
3%
70-80 its fun but i wanted a bether game
22%
80-90 ok this game is realy good and i recomend you to play it!
33%
80-90 ok this game is realy good and i recomend you to play it!
33%
90-100 this game is amongs the best game ever made i realy love it!
7%

Total votes: 120

Crayno
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Crayno » 30 May 2006, 16:48

Low 70ies and that's being generous.
I think it's a good game but they should be ashamed about the number of bugs that are in it.Quick cash > quality as usual

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 30 May 2006, 16:52

I'm probably opening a can of worms here but why can't a 'professional' website re-review a game after an expansion or patch? Obviously we don't need updates on every single little thing, but an expansion incorporating all the fixes and new content would be quite worthy of re-review...

Which leads to my question about why everyone is so eager to have a patch that doesn't fix everything?

Anyhow, ratings wise I put the game in the 80-90 range. It is very addictive, and even though not everything is explained I can generally figure out what's going on. I wish it were smoother, my system is fairly decent, but the game never crashes even after long sessions.

There are plenty of monsters and plenty of artifacts to find, and I find the map design more interesting than some previous heroes maps. I'll be glad when they release more maps as they have said they are going to.

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 30 May 2006, 17:17

Actually after a think and a play of HIV I've decided the generally smaller maps are really really smaller. I played through a campaign of 3 XL/L maps and they entertained and kept me busy longer than both the Inferno and Necropolis campaigns of HV. A lot of the time in the HV maps was taken up by having to restart because I didn't choose the right tactic at the start.

I think map size has been a casualty of the 3D alas.

Vlaad II
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Vlaad II » 30 May 2006, 17:18

In my opinion, it is one step forwards, two steps backwards. A nice game, but nothing more.

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 30 May 2006, 20:13

Overall...I'm more then pleased. It's a polished game graphics wise & I know Nival will follow-up on the patches. As it stands now, it's a solid 80%+ IMHO. We asked for HoMM3 & that's what we got, well maybe not AI wise.

HoMMV shipped it out the door a tad to early, but once we get the Map Editor & patches, we'll be fine. So...I would think it will reach my 90%+ mark in a couple of months. I'll be buying all the expansions to come. But that's just me!

I own every HoMM game & add-ons that was every made & HoMMV can be a very, very solid game!

Saurus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Saurus » 30 May 2006, 20:36

Would say Somewhere between 70 and 80.

A good game but too much like H3. The fact that the problems H3 had ,witch were corrected in H4 (caravans,mixed combats, flaggable mines), are back in H5 lower the points drastically unfortunately.

Even with an editor this game would still more or less like a copy of H3.
Some nice imrovements of course generates some extra points but generaly theese chnages are quite undramatic.

ultima_squall
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ultima_squall » 30 May 2006, 20:41

to me, the game as it is now is a solid 85%. With a Random Map Generator like the one in Heroes III, it'd be 100% :P

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 30 May 2006, 23:09

Sir Alock wrote:We asked for HoMM3 & that's what we got, well maybe not AI wise.
You forget that not everyone did ¬____¬.

Vlaad II is right - one step forward and two backwards.

Inoko
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Inoko » 30 May 2006, 23:20

Currently, it's an 80-90, on a global (That is, versus games of all time, in my books) scale, but 90-100 for the past 6-10 months. Easily, and I do mean Easily, the best game I've played all year.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 31 May 2006, 18:26

Angelspit wrote:The good thing is that most of the problems with the game can be fixed with a patch. We know that Ubisoft won't give up on the game the way 3DO did with Heroes IV. But that won't change the review score of course.
Withe a good adone it mighat get a good reweiv in the future:)
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

grumpy_dwarf
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby grumpy_dwarf » 02 Jun 2006, 03:03

right now i give it a 50. Note that 50 to me is not terrible, but not great either it is so so.

half-empty list
too many install problems for many people.
way too many bugs that people have encountered.
not enough maps.
maps are too small and the story lines too shallow (so far).
magic system in HOMM IV was better.
a US LE version which stands for Lame not Limited

half full list
battle screen is light years ahead of any previous version.
very nice graphics.
retains a few of the nicer ideas in HOMM IV like limited heroes on the battlefield and more complex skill ability trees.
duel mode for some quick hack and slash fun.
appearance that the game may be highly modifiable beyond the library of custom made maps that our community has come to love.

Conclusion
With some decent patches to fix bugs, a good map editor, and more maps this could move up to the 80-85 range. The 3d is OK, but I still like the large overhead 2d view for the adventure screen....

CaptainKen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby CaptainKen » 02 Jun 2006, 17:25

I would give it about an 88 - Only 2 things kept it from the 97+range, in my opinion: 1) No random map maker (coming in the patch, I hear) and 2) only 3 difficulty levels - we need more, to make the adjustment to climb to the top in smaller steps - I'm not an expert - and without small steps, I'll never win on the heroic level - I have substantial difficulty about 33% of the time winning on hard. But it is all that a turn-based player could ask for, and all that a Heroes-Lover could ask for as well. A good job by the developers on this one!

Vision
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Vision » 02 Jun 2006, 18:10

I gave it a 91. This is because, although it does have bugs, the gameplay and overall feel of the game for me brings me back to Heroes 2 and my roots to online gaming as a whole. Also, this is post-patch B-)

It would get a 97 or 98 from me if it was released with less bugs, and it will be there within the first few patches. However, because of the inability to complete an MP game in one go, the random crashes when you alt-tab, the inability to play in a 'true' window (one that you can move), tha lack of proper documentation, in-game translation screwups, and lack of in-game information bring it to an 86 for me, 91 post-patch (which is what I voted)

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 08 Jun 2006, 21:26

After playing heroes a few days I give the game something like 70. In short:

What I like:
- Graphic
- Music
- City views
- Hero specializations (their diversity)
- it has this "one more turn" feeling

What I don't like:
- INITIATIVE BAR (First I thought it was a nice idea, but I changed my mind after fighting with Inferno a couple of times. Those Nightmare moving three times in a row make the game very frustraiting, not only they are fast, they always have good morale. And that goes for the whole "high initiative units")
- Battling in the game is no more strategy but a hack n' slash. Because of the initiative bar you can't think of the strategy because, your enemy slashes half of your force, before you even make a move. It is best seen when fighting with Inferno and it's high initiative forces.
- The AI cheats on morale, luck, Ghost incorporeal etc.
- BUGS, Bugs, bUGs, BugS, bugs!!!
- The Spell system (like in H3 some spells are really useless)
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Return to “Heroes V-VI”