A fanmade campaign/sequel to the old storyline ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Do you think such a project is interesting ?

Yes, let's keep the old universe alive !
40%
Yes, any new campaign for Heroes V is good.
46%
Nah, the old universe is dead, long live Ashan !
14%

Total votes: 65

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 20 Jun 2006, 17:26

A copy of a copy of a copy...sigh ;|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 Jun 2006, 18:31

Orfinn wrote:A copy of a copy of a copy...sigh ;|
Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy. In the end it's the storytelling that weads out the writers from the rest.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Akul
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Akul » 20 Jun 2006, 19:36

vicheron wrote:No one expected the Heroes 5 storyline to be perfect but people did expect Heroes 5 storyline to not suck. The Heroes 5 story has way more flaws than the SoD and Heroes 4 stories. As for the "shades of grey" characters in Heroes 5 people keep talking about, who are they? Agrael/Raelag is the only character that's kind of "grey". Godric, Findan and Zehir are clearly good. Markal and the Sovereign are evil. Isabel is just a stupid pawn with a mood disorder.
IMO, LoTR is bad, but thats my opinion. Everyone likes different kinds of stories.

Flaws in SoD:
-Gem didn't even suspect that Sandro, a wizard with pale skin and dark atmosphere who seeks to destroy nekromancy with 3 nekromantic artifacts, to be not-good guy while an (cool) idiot like Crag Hack suspected it in 2nd map.
-a person like Gelu would send scouts to investigate those bandits and dragon lords before he attacked theme.
-why would wizards of Bracada help Yog to run from wizards of Bracada?!
-Sandro, such a genius plotmaster, fall on such a stupid plot made by a stupid lich.
-why did Sandro need to raid Lord Haarts lands when he could secretly give him a vial? Or secretly leave it somewhere?
...should I continue?

Some characters look more grey with very little text then those with a lot of texts (besides Gauldoth and Tawnsy f'course). If the storywriters and campaignmakers put textboxes into it, all characters would be made great. Hope thay will put more text in expansion campaigns.
I am back and ready to... ready to... post things.

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 21 Jun 2006, 01:37

Sauron wrote:
vicheron wrote:No one expected the Heroes 5 storyline to be perfect but people did expect Heroes 5 storyline to not suck. The Heroes 5 story has way more flaws than the SoD and Heroes 4 stories. As for the "shades of grey" characters in Heroes 5 people keep talking about, who are they? Agrael/Raelag is the only character that's kind of "grey". Godric, Findan and Zehir are clearly good. Markal and the Sovereign are evil. Isabel is just a stupid pawn with a mood disorder.
IMO, LoTR is bad, but thats my opinion. Everyone likes different kinds of stories.
Why is your username Sauron? This isn't about the kind of story Heroes 5 is, it's about the lack of story within Heroes 5. As I have said several times, there's no character or plot development. It doesn't matter what kind of story we're talking about, if there's no character or plot development then it's going to be a crappy story.
Flaws in SoD:
-Gem didn't even suspect that Sandro, a wizard with pale skin and dark atmosphere who seeks to destroy nekromancy with 3 nekromantic artifacts, to be not-good guy while an (cool) idiot like Crag Hack suspected it in 2nd map.
Pay attention to the story. Gem didn't suspect Sandro was a Necromancer because all her missions involved attacking Deyja and destroying the undead. She said in the last cut scene that the undead she destroyed to get those artifacts were worth more than the artifacts themselves.
-a person like Gelu would send scouts to investigate those bandits and dragon lords before he attacked theme.
Scouts aren't spies, they can investigate things like troop movement but they won't know the motive behind the actions.
-why would wizards of Bracada help Yog to run from wizards of Bracada?!
What are you talking about?
-Sandro, such a genius plotmaster, fall on such a stupid plot made by a stupid lich.
Finneas played dumb and Sandro underestimated him.
-why did Sandro need to raid Lord Haarts lands when he could secretly give him a vial? Or secretly leave it somewhere?
...should I continue?
Lord Haart was already suspected as being a member of a Necromantic cult, if he were attacked by Necromancers then people would get less suspicious. There was also Lord Haart's "peasant problem" that he wanted the Necros to take care of.

I never said that SoD doesn't have flaws but even with its flaws, it has a fully developed story and well developed characters. You understand the motivations of the characters and you know how they were going to carry out their plans. You know how the story plays out. With Heroes 5, there's just such a lack of development. Take Agrael/Raelag for example, his "love" of Isabel is a main plot point but it's never developed. What kind of love is it? He said that he watched Isabel grow up, that suggests either he was a childhood friend of Isabel or it could mean that he was a father figure but because Isabel didn't recognize him as either Agrael or Raeleg, that suggests Agrael/Raelag was some sort of stalker. His "love" of Isabel could be romantic, paternal, platonic, brotherly, or sick and perverted if he was a stalker type, which are all completely different. Heck, even if they did have Agrael/Raelag in crazy stalker love with Isabel, the story could have been a lot more interesting.
Some characters look more grey with very little text then those with a lot of texts (besides Gauldoth and Tawnsy f'course). If the storywriters and campaignmakers put textboxes into it, all characters would be made great. Hope thay will put more text in expansion campaigns.
So you're basically judging the story by how the characters are drawn, or to use an old cliche, judging a book by its cover.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 21 Jun 2006, 03:34

vicheron wrote:
Finneas played dumb and Sandro underestimated him.
Alternatively, Finneas actually was ‘dumb’, but got lucky when Sandro got overconfident after successfully manipulating Finneas for so long. But same idea.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 21 Jun 2006, 06:55

Kareeah Indaga wrote: Alternatively, Finneas actually was ‘dumb’, but got lucky when Sandro got overconfident after successfully manipulating Finneas for so long. But same idea.
Damn, I wanted to say that. :( ;)

Anyway, IMO Finneas was dumb as a rock, and that's hy Sandro didn't see it coming. Even idiots are allowed one good ideea in their lives/unlives. It's not like he lasted much longer afterwards. :devil:
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Aug 2006, 12:55

Hi folks, juste a little news on this project : I hired a friend who happens to be a cartoonist to make new hero portraits. Work is going well, his art is damn fine, so now I only need the editor to start mapmaking ^^

As I already said in various topics, the project will be called :

"Heroes V - Legends of the Ancients"

A website will be online soon™ to introduce the stories and main characters of each of the four chapters of the campaign.

Mytical
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Heroes V, or something for next sequal

Unread postby Mytical » 08 Aug 2006, 13:26

Working on a storyline that involves decendants of HoMMV characters, so only 6 chapters in one story line, with 2 different story lines that converge to a 4th story line. Still a lot of work to go for me, but working out pretty good so far.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 08 Aug 2006, 13:32

Excellent news! Take good time with this project ;) Oh and If Crag Hack returns, uhm wouldnt it be best to wait for his campaign until we get a barbarian town in the expansion (the needed barb creatures)? Otherwise Sandro, Cathrine all would be idle since their towns are in :)

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 08 Aug 2006, 13:46

Orfinn wrote:Excellent news! Take good time with this project ;) Oh and If Crag Hack returns, uhm wouldnt it be best to wait for his campaign until we get a barbarian town in the expansion (the needed barb creatures)? Otherwise Sandro, Cathrine all would be idle since their towns are in :)
I have ideas for a fifth chapter with barbarians, but it will depend if there are barbarians in the expansion.

Catherine and Roland aren't in the campaign (Heroes IV stated they died during the Reckoning). Some of the returning heroes are Solmyr, Sandro, Emilia Nighthaven, Lysander, Elwyn, Mysterio, Malustar, and many others both old faces (from Heroes IV and MMIX... and previous games as well ;| ) and new ones. And there may be hidden characters too, but you'll have to find them by yourself ;)

Return to “Heroes V-VI”