Skills you want, vs Skills you don't

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Hozz-Midnight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hozz-Midnight » 03 Jun 2006, 20:28

Some questions.

Undead do not use morale, correct? So Leadership for Undead troops is pretty much a waste?

The stat bonus from Enlightenment...is it retroactive? So if I choose Basic Enlightenment at level 10...it says you get 1 stat point every 4 levels. So I'd get 2? Then if I got Advanced at level 11, I would get another bonus for 3 total? Then finally taking Expert at level 12 would get me 3 additional points for a total of 6 bonus points? The skill wheel description sounds like it is retroactive, just checking. If it is, and you basically get 1 free stat point every other level (and it is indeed retroactive) once you have Expert...then its a decent skill IMO. 15 bonus points at level 30...that is significant. Intelligence seems ok too, 50% more mana.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jun 2006, 20:32

Hozz-Midnight wrote:Undead do not use morale, correct? So Leadership for Undead troops is pretty much a waste?
Well it allows you to have diplomacy and herald of death,but other than that,its quite useles.
Hozz-Midnight wrote: The stat bonus from Enlightenment...is it retroactive? So if I choose Basic Enlightenment at level 10...it says you get 1 stat point every 4 levels. So I'd get 2? Then if I got Advanced at level 11, I would get another bonus for 3 total? Then finally taking Expert at level 12 would get me 3 additional points for a total of 6 bonus points? The skill wheel description sounds like it is retroactive, just checking. If it is, and you basically get 1 free stat point every other level (and it is indeed retroactive) once you have Expert...then its a decent skill IMO. 15 bonus points at level 30...that is significant. Intelligence seems ok too, 50% more mana.
Thats correct,it is retroactive.But the expirience bonus isnt.

Eon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Eon » 03 Jun 2006, 21:32

I like Enlightenment for a couple of reasons.
That 50% bonus to MP is great if you are a casting Hero. I took the skill in Necro and Dungeon (which is as far as I am in the game).

Also it is good for leveling up the Hero you might have staying back to guard your castle.

I also think Logistics, Leadership, Destructive Magic should be on every list.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 03 Jun 2006, 23:18

Eon wrote:I also think Logistics, Leadership, Destructive Magic should be on every list.
Except the Necro list... Leadership is all but useless to a Necro since undead are immune to moral.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 04 Jun 2006, 05:42

I think the optimal set of skills depends on how you intend to use the hero. For a spell caster, Sorcery and a second Magic discipline make sense. For a fighter, I'll stay with one discipline and fill out with Leadership, War Machines, etc.

I had one hero with mainly skills that boosted my armies. It was a slow start, but as the army grew the investment paid off. For a Very Big map, I think that may be the way to go.

In general, I'm disappointed with the Abilities you get with the magic skills. I'll want to get to Expert for the spells, but there's usually only one ability I want.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Hozz-Midnight
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Hozz-Midnight » 04 Jun 2006, 20:43

How exactly does Sorcery work?

The description says 'Interval between two consecutive spell casts is reduced by 10%'. Does this mean your hero's turn comes 10% quicker, all the time? Or does it mean, if you cast a spell your next turn comes 10% quicker? Or, something else?

TIA
H

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 04 Jun 2006, 20:58

You prob get a boost to initiative.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Jun 2006, 00:02

Hozz-Midnight wrote:How exactly does Sorcery work?

The description says 'Interval between two consecutive spell casts is reduced by 10%'. Does this mean your hero's turn comes 10% quicker, all the time? Or does it mean, if you cast a spell your next turn comes 10% quicker? Or, something else?

TIA
H
It means that if you cast a spell your nex turn will come as if your initiative was 10% greater.Im not sure how it affects spell like abilities though.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 05 Jun 2006, 00:15

In a nutshell, as long as your hero is casting spells (vs just "regular" attacks), you'll get more attacks in a single turn and not have to wait as long between each use of your hero...

This is a VERY good thing to have, especially if you are a magic-heavy hero (not so great for a knight though).

I consider sorcery a MUST for all magic using heroes, because you can use spells like Meteor Shower and/or Raise Dead and all other spells that can influence the battle more frequently then if you don't have sorcery.

I personally think it's one of the most important skills to have for a spellcasting hero.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 05 Jun 2006, 01:10

Even with my Might heroes, i tend to want to specialize in one school of magic (unless i go all-out Might), and in that case, i think Sorcery is a very good skill to have too. i won't seek it actively, but if i'm offered it i certainly won't cry =) For example, a Knight with Sorcery and Master of XXX will cast an incredible number of spells. When you can cast Mass Haste/Endurance/Righteous Might/Divine Strength and your opponent can cast 2 or even less spells, you're happy =D

Return to “Heroes V-VI”