damage calculations etc.

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Jun 2006, 18:38

HenL wrote:Horrible idea :/.. Making mass low number stacks much more effective is bad imo.. It's already good for taking retaliations and casting buffs\debuffs..
Actually its a nice idea.Its easier to take out one dragon then hudred peasants.For 100 peasants you need about 100 arrows,and for a dragon you need just one lucky shot.

Bad idea,however,is that the damage is fixed.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 07 Jun 2006, 19:12

DaemianLucifer wrote: Actually its a nice idea.Its easier to take out one dragon then hudred peasants.For 100 peasants you need about 100 arrows,and for a dragon you need just one lucky shot.
I think he was talking about the damage that spellcasting creatures does. If so, I wholeharetdly agree. It's just plain silly that two stacks of 1 druid should do more damage than one stack of 2 druids...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 07 Jun 2006, 19:25

Gaidal Cain wrote:I think he was talking about the damage that spellcasting creatures does. If so, I wholeharetdly agree. It's just plain silly that two stacks of 1 druid should do more damage than one stack of 2 druids...
Oh,right.Here,I agree.Why did they choose non linear progression is beyond me though.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 08 Jun 2006, 14:00

Happened to read Heroic Corner news, and this is what they propose for caster creatures:

Spellpower = trunc(21*log10(trunc((stack size*10)/growth)+10)-22)

Havent tested myself yet.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 08 Jun 2006, 15:01

i'll need to create an app where you enter the size of the stack... i can estimate combat damage by doing the maths, but that... no way =P

Nebs
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Nebs » 08 Jun 2006, 17:31

Pitsu, your formula seems more 'correct'. That is if I didn't screw the formula putting it in excel

=TRUNC(21*LOG10(TRUNC((C2*10)/4)+10)-22)

This is for druids, c2 is stack size. Getting 28 for 100 druids, 106 for 500,000 druids. With your formula getting correct results for those 2 values (29 and 107).

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 09 Jun 2006, 07:11

Err, actually it was proposed that the SP= a base value + that long equation. Thus a constant -1 from the correct value is OK. The original link:
http://www.heroes.ag.ru/h5/

However, the very beginning with stacks of 1 or 2 units only seem to be incorrect also with that equation. I guess the final equation is actually a sum of two functions. But, based on information from elsewhere, the official equations may be available not in too distant future :hoo:

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 09 Jun 2006, 07:22

Why cannot they just release these informations?Its not like its some top secret that can destroy the world.

zhuge
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby zhuge » 17 Jun 2006, 09:54

Requesting to make this a sticky so that this important thread won't be lost.
A big thank you to all who contributed to our current understanding of game mechanics. :tsup:

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 17 Jun 2006, 13:39

DaemianLucifer wrote:Why cannot they just release these informations?Its not like its some top secret that can destroy the world.
Well I was thinkin' a bit a suddenly it struck me. They are like the writer of Harry Potter, she is always soo mysterious and tends to keep stuff for herself until the next book's out, no matter what fans are guessing in the numerous forums. I guess that people at nival and ubi are reading threads like this with extreme excitement :disagree:

This logarithmic stuff ... I don't like it. At least it could be power law, like 0,5 or something. The actual status suggests that druids splitted into smaller groups are more effective :(
warning! there might be documented features in Heroes V
Water Polo European Championships Hajrá magyarok!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 17 Jun 2006, 15:34

Cunning Death wrote:This logarithmic stuff ... I don't like it. At least it could be power law, like 0,5 or something. The actual status suggests that druids splitted into smaller groups are more effective :(
Well they are more effective in smaller groups.And that is quite dumb.

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 17 Jun 2006, 18:40

it's completely stupid.
in the early game, if you have Sprites against you guarding mines, you're in trouble. Especially if those sprites happen to be split in 4 groups instead of one, because then that's 8 "Wasp Swarm" cast on your level 1/2 creatures... utterly stupid.

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 17 Jun 2006, 18:44

Gus wrote:it's completely stupid.
in the early game, if you have Sprites against you guarding mines, you're in trouble. Especially if those sprites happen to be split in 4 groups instead of one, because then that's 8 "Wasp Swarm" cast on your level 1/2 creatures... utterly stupid.
And splitted stacks do more dmg together than a single one thanks to the logarithmic function :(

Gus
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Gus » 17 Jun 2006, 19:54

yeah, that's what i meant, i should have made this clearer, sorry for the lack of precision =)

Cunning Death
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Cunning Death » 17 Jun 2006, 20:02

Gus wrote:it's completely stupid.
Gus wrote:yeah, that's what i meant, i should have made this clearer, sorry for the lack of precision =)
and thanks to the random generator mechanism you won't have more chanche if you reload :devil:

Lord Zeus
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Lord Zeus » 17 Jun 2006, 20:51

DaemianLucifer wrote:Why cannot they just release these informations?Its not like its some top secret that can destroy the world.
They probably want to release a "Official Strategy Guide" which has all this infomation, of course for a nominal fee of 124,99$ ;)

csarmi
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

casters and spellpower

Unread postby csarmi » 22 Jun 2006, 07:14

Pitsu, your formula is nice. I can't test it, but I think you should use 2-based logarythm (log) instead of the natural e-based (ln). It is more natural here (if I were the creator, I would have used it) because the usual numbers become more meaningful (for example, for a weekly growth of creatures you get exactly 2 inside (and log2 = 1)).

If I was to look for a nice formula, I would start with it.

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 22 Jun 2006, 07:57

Csarmi, i sent you a file so that you can play around with the numbers if you wish. Log2 is an interesting idea which i did not think about.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”