This is a manual?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

This is a manual?

Unread postby Caradoc » 27 May 2006, 04:41

I've never seen such a crappy manual. Where are the descriptions of towns, heroes, artifacts, spells or ANYTHING? How are you supposed to know how the creatures' powers work? Yeesh.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

HenL
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby HenL » 27 May 2006, 04:43

Nearly no information ingame either :/

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 27 May 2006, 04:49

Well what do you expect when you get a bunch of French people in charge of a bunch of Russian people to write an English manual? hehehe.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 May 2006, 07:02

I'm pretty sure the French and Russina manuals aren't any more detailed either.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 27 May 2006, 07:43

I can confirm the french manual at least. I got a French Deluxe Edition from Fabrice, who included an English Manual. If he only had included an English H2 as well...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 27 May 2006, 09:17

Also theres no description in the manual of how many creatures there are in wandering stacks (and their numbers): few, sev. :rolleyes: pack, lots, horde, throng, swarm, zounds, legion.
I only know that they follow the similar stack system as in HIII so that:

Few = 1-4?
Several = 5-9 ?
Pack = 10-19 ?
Lots = 20-49 ?
Horde = 50-99 ?
Throng = 100-249 ?
Swarm = 250-499 ?
Zounds = 500-999 ?
Legion 1000+ ?

I think this numbers are the same in H5 but I can be wrong.
Still can anyone confirm which stack types there are used in game and if the numbers are like those in H3 ? So far I have encountered few, several, pack, lots and throng.

I know the scout ability clarify this but still and Im not sure if its just like in H3 or that some group types are added or removed. New players can also get confused by this and walks into a trap thinking Lots are fewer than Pack etc, have happened to me some times.

Short said I miss the manual I got with H3 RoE, it was very detailed and easy to use.

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 27 May 2006, 12:05

Orfinn: So far it seem like they follow the Heroes III system. Haven't checked on exact numbers but I would guess on it.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 27 May 2006, 12:54

No seriously, are the russian and french manuals more detailed? I haven't finished the haven campaign but I'm doubting they go into detail about the ultimate racial powers. If it wasn't for the internet I certainly would not know they exist. There is one line in the manual but certainly no skill chart.

On the other hand it's an excellent game and very easy to pick up since I've played all hte previous heroes games. I'm just going into ignore the specials.

Alamar
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Alamar » 27 May 2006, 13:08

It's a pretty craptacular "Limited Edition" when you don't get:

1. A creature stat card. [At least I knew that going in]
2. Build trees for castles.
3. Detailed explanation of skills & abilities
4. Detailed explanation of spells.
5. Detailed hero profiles for each faction
6. Maps, coins, statues, or other little goodies [Also knew about that prior]

I honestly [silly me] expected to get 2-5 covered in at least some minor detail :(

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 13:32

They went along the lines:"You guys have your HIII manuals,so you dont need a new one.And the price of $50 just for a DVD is really reasonable.Why should we give you anything extra for such a low price?"

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 27 May 2006, 14:18

DaemianLucifer wrote:They went along the lines:"You guys have your HIII manuals,so you dont need a new one.And the price of $50 just for a DVD is really reasonable.Why should we give you anything extra for such a low price?"
The DVD probably cost Ubi 50-cents... the box and case maybe $2-bucks... the pamphlet they pass for a "manual" another 50-cents.

All-in-all, it probably cost Ubi about $3 to make the game. Sell it for $50... that's a 94% profit return... not bad.

Of course, the limited edition in the US has a bigger box, so tack-on an extra 50-cents production cost for Ubi, and add $10 to the US price for Americans.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 14:32

Ah,the money again.Well soon be visited by muad dib,and hell say that its the local distributors that set the price,not them :devil:

But still,the local distributors get lets say $10 from each copy,and subtract another $10 for shipment and storage,and about $5 for burning and printing,it leaves us with $25.$20 goes to the game developers and marketing department,so theres $10 profit for the company.20% profit is still very high.Still,these are just asumptions.If I had an excess to their books Id give something more closer to the truth.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 27 May 2006, 14:32

PhoenixReborn wrote:No seriously, are the russian and french manuals more detailed?
Dropped an eye on several french forums and they look to have, if not the same, a very similar manual. Ask the Russians but I don't think there'll be any difference.

To all those who complain, that's what happens when you continuously buy half done stuff at high prices. If things are supposed to change in patches and expansions a manual is useless. :tonguehands:
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 May 2006, 14:39

Here's to HoMM VI, which will only have fan site adresses in the manual.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 14:40

Wildbear wrote:To all those who complain, that's what happens when you continuously buy half done stuff at high prices. If things are supposed to change in patches and expansions a manual is useless. :tonguehands:
And thats a big if.Besides,there are manual updates that should appear with every patch that changes the game.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 27 May 2006, 14:41

ThunderTitan wrote:Here's to HoMM VI, which will only have fan site adresses in the manual.
Only a pdf version of it on the dvd :lol:
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 27 May 2006, 14:42

Maybe they'l just include it right on the box. Save the .pdf only for HoMM7.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 27 May 2006, 14:44

ThunderTitan wrote:Here's to HoMM VI, which will only have fan site adresses in the manual.
Sad part is that would probably be more effective…

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 27 May 2006, 14:45

Wildbear wrote:
Only a pdf version of it on the dvd :lol:
No, there'll be a link on the DVD (not on the start menu) to a webpage with website links. Actually, it's more likely you'll get a "Page not found error" once you click the link.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 27 May 2006, 14:46

Somehow,I feel this thread will be closed very soon at this rate :disagree:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”