What Are The Odds????

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

What do you think I should do (read scenario below)

a) take back collector's edition
6%
b) take back beta-reward copy
12%
c) keep both
82%

Total votes: 34

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

What Are The Odds????

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 19 May 2006, 08:03

Ok, so last night I went out and bought the H5 collectors edition ($110Au). Nothing amazing... but wait. Theres more.

I came home from uni today and my sister told me a package had arrived from Fedex. I was like "what?" since I had no reason to expect something. But I had a sneaking suspicision, which turned out to be true.

As it happened, Ubisoft had sent me a copy of Heroes 5 (regular edition), I assume because I was one of the beta testers (I guess it's safe to admit now), they got me a complementary copy of the final game.

Now I have a dilemma - should I:
a) take the collectors edition back to the store, (it wasn't in a sealed package so I can return it, but I'll lose Heroes 2 and my cloth map)
b) try and take the copy Ubisoft sent back, with the packaging and explain my situation, see if I can sell it back to them for $90Au (which they sell it for) or maybe $5-10 cheaper. But I'll lose this prestigious copy sent by Fabrice himself, and a reminder to me to always participate in beta-tests
c) keep both.
d) Go crazy with indecision, or maybe not. Then again...

Giving away either copy is not an option, they're both worht too much for me. See, the thing is I kinda want them both, even though I only need one. I wish FC had sent me the collectors edition, and I'd send him the extra $20 :P

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 19 May 2006, 08:22

Keep both.
If you should somehow lose the game or break the cd or something then you have a backup.
Unless you really need the extra money I suggest you to keep it. H2 and the cloth map thingy is a delicious bonus and as you say you'd like to keep.
It sounds like you've already decided on option c, which is what I voted for :D

- Milla
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

dragonn
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby dragonn » 19 May 2006, 08:25

You can always try to sell one of the copies (I would select the RE :D) to your friend at a lower, atractive price...or you can sell it at an internet auction. Belive me there are many people who would like to buy it at a lower price...
"Thou shall feel the wrath of the Dragons! Tremble in fear, your end is nigh!" - The Dragon Prophet
"Do you like fire? I'm full of it..." - Deathwing

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 May 2006, 08:29

Keep em both ofcourse, as Milla said its nice to have one copy as backup if you might lose or damage the other one.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 19 May 2006, 08:29

i would try and get rid of the RE, no real need for two copies and the CE has the bonuses .... should be able to get a nice price for a brand new copy of RE HoMM V

Profitable_Choy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Profitable_Choy » 19 May 2006, 09:36

Give the reg. ed to someone as a present

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 19 May 2006, 10:25

Kepp them both.Each has its worth thats in more then just money.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 19 May 2006, 10:30

Yeah, unless you really need the money, keep both. One has special edition frills, the other was earned for a job well done and have a somewhat symbolic value.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malicen » 19 May 2006, 11:32

You have already given that money on CE, so it means you had money for it. Ubisoft sent you a gift so put it on some visible place and tell your friends why you got it. I think that you'll be OK like this. Sooooo, keep 'em both!
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 19 May 2006, 12:19

I've had the same dilemma on me as I've got a bunch of promo* versions of games for review purposes. In almost all cases I've got to keep the games for myself. Sometimes I have already bought a game and afterwards got a promo copy of it, so I've now got two full versions of the same game, facing the decision of whether to keep both versions or sell the packaged one along.

I'd vote for selling the Ubisoft version along to a third person via EBay or a similar system. Of course you could try to "return" it to the store where you bought the Collector's Edition but I doubt they'll be interested. If you keep both, the regular edition will in the end just eat space and lie in a shelf somewhere. Year from now you'll be thinking "why didn't I sell it?" At least that's what happened to me in a couple of cases.

* Promo versions are full retail versions except for the fact that on the CD it says "PROMO ONLY - NOT FOR SALE" in some 20 langauges and usually comes without any packaging.

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 19 May 2006, 17:27

I think that i'll keep it. Like Ethric said, it's symbolic/sentimental - and since it's the only game i've beta tested (and liekly the only one I ever will), it won't be just one of many.

Now i'm interested to know, did all beta testers get a free copy? I'm still baffled as to why I got it... not complaining though.

oh and btw, the game is great :) At first I thought it was kinda sub-quality (I've been playing Oblivion, which has the best graphics out there, and I've become used to lip-synching, etc). But then I realised I was having tons of fun with it, and when I opened up Oblivion just now, I realised that I really wanted to be playing Heroes. Aww, shucks.

Paulus1
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Paulus1 » 19 May 2006, 22:36

In the beta test forum there was a sticky topic with link to a page, where you could check out if you got a reward (still working btw).

AFAIK there were 3 options:
1. A few select (very active, much feedback) got a copy of the game
2. Quite some get credited in the game
3. The rest got nothing but the honor of betatesting.

I should be somewhere in the credits, but haven't bought the game yet to check it out.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 May 2006, 00:30

First of all, Lord_Haart, congrats for your free copy. :) Don't underestimate your work in the beta. You did a good job, even if you didn't brake any post count records. You were one of those who's suggestions I appreciated and think "I wish they listen to that" about.

Secondly, I'd like to use this opportunity to thank you again for your help on you-know-what matter back then. ;) You were one of the few who supported me, unlike many others wanting to have my throat on that issue. Pity it was in vain, and I ended up using a game mod to solve it. :p

And last but not least, yes, you made the right choice keeping them both. :) In the "worst" case, if you don't have a brother/sister/familiy to play with, so that they can use the other copy, it can make a great birthday present to one of your best friends & Heroes fan. ;)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 00:57

Zamolxis wrote: Secondly, I'd like to use this opportunity to thank you again for your help on you-know-what matter back then. ;) You were one of the few who supported me, unlike many others wanting to have my throat on that issue. Pity it was in vain, and I ended up using a game mod to solve it. :p
Wait, you changed the Inquisitors name with a mod?! What did you replace it with?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Lord_Haart
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Lord_Haart » 20 May 2006, 08:16

Hmm - any chance off giving me a link to that mod? I still think it's really inappropriate, and VERY innacurate, to glorify inquisitors. And it's not like it was only 1 or 2 inquisitors who were bad, and the rest good - the job itself implies placing religious zeal over the value of human life and dignity.

btw, I haven't been very active on these (or any) boards for the last few years, and with uni being hectic, that might not improve much :-( However, I'm still following the franchise (eager for DMoMM, especially after the reviews) and I'll be dropping in when time allows and I feel like saying (ie posting) something.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 09:03

And yet neither of you had any problems with Crusader or Zealot. The Halo on it's head was too much though.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 20 May 2006, 11:40

What makes you think we didn't have any problem with? ;)

To be honest, I didn't in H3, but partly because I was a teenage moron, not caring about history & meanings, and partly because one was just a name associate with a warrior looking unit, and one with a magical/mystical looking unit. None made me think too much at the RL ones (Crusader didn't have a big red cross on the chest, Zealot not dressed like a the Inq. is no in H5 - very suggestive & religiously localized - with H3 it was easier to think it's "just a name"). I did had a bit of a problem with the crusaders in H4, because they were this time associated with light & holyness (death ward ability), but I always went for Monks anyway.
Lord_Haart wrote:Hmm - any chance off giving me a link to that mod? I still think it's really inappropriate, and VERY innacurate, to glorify inquisitors. And it's not like it was only 1 or 2 inquisitors who were bad, and the rest good - the job itself implies placing religious zeal over the value of human life and dignity.
Hereis the link for the mod. For the moment is back to Cleric, but we can go for anything else (Priest of Light, Prophet, Field Priest etc).

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 20 May 2006, 12:03

Any mod for changeing other creature names? Coz Hell Charger and Grim Raider have to go.

And based on the times the Inquisition was pretty much "business as usual", so I don't really agree that it taints the Haven faction any more then any other name take from middle-ages army units.
The Halo had to go though. But would have prefered him with only a bald head, not with a stupid hat.

Dublex
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Dublex » 20 May 2006, 12:17

I would keep both - if you planned to buy the CE anyway and have the other copy from the Beta, just regard the other copy as a nice, not often recieved bonus for nothing.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 21 May 2006, 02:27

ThunderTitan wrote:The Halo had to go though. But would have prefered him with only a bald head, not with a stupid hat.
I agree. I hated the concept art, I liked the baldy guy in the OB, and I hate again this stupid had.

The baldy guy in the beta had a certain face expression that didn't make me think of the RL inquisitors, so if they would have kept it (without a halo though), I would have been able to compromise with the name, I would have been able to see there "just a name", not really related to the RL one.

But this hat - not only stupid looking as you say - for me brings also back the feeling of having there a religious opressor, just like they used to be in the history, and I just can't have that together with the Angels.

I would like a Good Haven, but don't get me wrong - I'm not fighting for that. I would also be ok with a fanatic human faction. But then Angels had to go. Either that, or keep the Angels & Archangels, but then replace the fanatism with real faith and nobleness. Right now we have two things which just don't go together.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”