Which change would make you buy HV? Extra Demo? More maps ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Joskevermeulen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Which change would make you buy HV? Extra Demo? More maps ?

Unread postby Joskevermeulen » 15 May 2006, 17:53

There are many negative posts on the forum. But let us be a bit more constructive. What Nival wants is that we buy the game. So if we give them reasons why we would do this they will maybe at least fix some issues in a patch or proof in an extra demo that the game is almost perfect.

Everyone with ideas feel free to speak.
I especially need:

1. Proof of functioning A.I.: Possible solution: New demo with larger map and A.I. activated / positive feedback from fans on this forums concerning the A.I.
(it is essential that criticism is not punished/flamed on this board but also not exagerated)
2. Proof of minimum replayability: Having no mapeditor and few maps isn't going to help this a lot. Solution: Very fast addition of descent Mapeditor and a thriving motivated community that publishes ten maps a week ;o)

I am not an endless negative pessimistic whiner, i even admit that
the demo gave me the just-one-more turn feeling for a couple of hours!
But it didn't have any A.I. and on the long term that is deadly for the replayability and the community.

All the other thingies aren't that important in my opinion!

I think a big reason for the negative posts now isn't totally based on Heroes V. It is just caused by the big frustration fans had with the previous heroes and now they are just scared they will be robbed again in the same manner (Heroes IV had no multiplayer and no A.I when it came out) .
But if the two points that I asked are adressed / in order I swear I will buy this game and expansions!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 15 May 2006, 18:13

Its a bit late to change the game now that its almost on shelves now.

igoraki
Scout
Scout

Unread postby igoraki » 15 May 2006, 18:25

Ethric wrote:-vulnerable heroes
-unique factions
-hexagons
-more spells
-an adventuremap where you can see what you're doing\where you're going without having to swivel the camera every two steps
the last one does not bother me,but the rest stand

and i would like to add

- simultaneous retaliation in combat
"You cannot make a baby in a month with nine women."

Joskevermeulen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

But their is no prove that the A.I. will not function

Unread postby Joskevermeulen » 15 May 2006, 18:26

So i am not willing to believe the A.I. is useless before testing it or seeing peoples opinions.

In the case of the mapeditor: You often see that gamedeveloppers already make a patch when the game is even not released yet and maybe this patch will contain as splendid map editor.

( off topic: I think this is done too block the warez guys from ever playing online with their hacked version because you can often only update / play online with a legit and patched version).

My worst fear is that the mapeditor isn't delivered with the product to disguise the fact that a descent A.I. (that can handle a new map without scripting) isn't yet present in the product. (Sorry for the comment but by reading all the other negative threads these thought come up).

Veldrynus
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Veldrynus » 15 May 2006, 18:40

They should sell it for 1 dollar and 49 cents.
Veldryn 15:15 And Vel found a dirty old jawbone of a walrus and put forth his hand, and took it, and in his unholy rage, he slew thirty four thousand men and children therewith.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 May 2006, 22:03

igoraki wrote:
Ethric wrote:-vulnerable heroes
-unique factions
-hexagons
-more spells
-an adventuremap where you can see what you're doing\where you're going without having to swivel the camera every two steps
the last one does not bother me,but the rest stand

and i would like to add

Yes, yes of course, I forgot that. And make moral, luck and rounds\initiative work as in H4.

Oh, and ability to have multiple heroes in one army.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 15 May 2006, 22:28

Everything above (excepted for the price thing that is a bit exaggerated) and a better interface, and any kind of system that wouldn't make it necessary to visit all external dwellings every 10 minutes, and a mix between daily and weekly growth, and line of sight for shooters and spellcasters.
Image Spiritu Insanum

dallasmavs41
Demon
Demon

Unread postby dallasmavs41 » 15 May 2006, 22:59

I'd just like to see a complete game. We'll see what the A.I. and other aspects of the game are like when they come out, so that's fine. I just don't like the idea of them saying, "All the great things will be coming out in the patches", or whatever they said.(map editor, more maps, etc) Sure, they say it's coming out in July, but that can easily be pushed back many weeks or months. You can disagree with me, but personally I think this is a pretty half-hearted job.

But hey, I haven't given the game a shot yet, so we'll all see when it finally comes out in several days...

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 15 May 2006, 23:25

• Unique factions
  • More powerful magicheroes/less powerful mightheroes
  • Better spelldamage system
  • Lipsync!
Unique factions: In Heroes II they were truly unique. Now it's more bland 'n' boring.

More powerful magicheroes/less powerful mightheroes: There have been improvements in that a hero with less spellpower can't dispel enhancements that are cast by a powerful magic hero but still might is too strong.

Better spelldamage system: The way it is now where 1 Druid makes lets's say 60dmg with lightning bolt and 70 with two Druids is not acceptable for me. I say it should be proportional. To compensate, the ranged attack can go.
As for heroes, this is the formula I had in mind (Ligthning Bolt): SP 1 = 20dmg | SP 2 = 40dmg | SP 3 = 60dmg

That formula would really make spellpower something to fear. Proficiency in baisc Destructive magic would make it like this: (Ligthning Bolt): SP 1 = 20dmg | SP 2 = SP 1 + 5dmg | SP 3 = SP 2 + 10dmg
That would mean: SP 1 = 20dmg | SP 2 = 45dmg | SP 3 = 75

Lipsync!: Watching Isabel and Godric talk and seeing Isabel open her mouth and rearing her horse while still talking is laughable....

Cold Fingers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Cold Fingers » 15 May 2006, 23:30

Whats with you people and lipsync?
Who cares?! :|
Why is it so important for a TBS game like HoMM?

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 15 May 2006, 23:40

I agree, lipsync could be the 100th item in my list at best...
I believe in science and that science can explain everything.
Because God has made it all work in such a beautiful way...

Rapier
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Rapier » 15 May 2006, 23:48

I'm buying it anyway, I don't see why people are so annoyed with the game after the demo... I mean, it's a good game. I can think of improvements, but I can think of improvements for every game.

I would suggest making it function well at minimum requirements (although some people on these boards seems to think minimum = should work flawlessly, I happen to think minimum = will work slowly and subpart but work without crashing).

My pc gan run the demo with everything but anti-alaising on (just like every other game on the market right now). So I don’t really mind the system requirements myself. I think more people will buy it if they're lower though.
~ Rapier.

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malicen » 16 May 2006, 07:51

Ethric wrote:-unique factions
-hexagons
-more spells

Oh, and ability to have multiple heroes in one army.
The above is OK. But why multiple Heroes?

Then we would probably have the same crap as Heroes 4. Boost a hero or two up to 20th level then forget about the army and just go and kill everything with your Heroes. I think that this is the stupidest thing ever implemented in Heroes games.
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 May 2006, 08:36

That was mostly caused by unbalancing (IMO at least) stuff like immortality potions and hypnotize-spell (Puppet Master in H5 looks to be the same, at least I didn't notice any limitations to it in the demo).

Regardless, I'd like to see a system where you have a choice between having your heroes hang back in (relative) safety, or step forward for some added bonuses (morale for army, higher damage of spells, that sort of thing). Only being allowed one hero seems quite restricting (less so in H5 of course as each faction only have 1 hero type, unlike H3 and H4...). A general is of to war, and he brings along a healer or other spellcaster (or the spellcaster brings the general along ;) ). It makes so much more sense to me. I don't think heroes should use creatureslots though, as in H4. Rather, have the allowable number of heroes be proportional to the size of the army. 1 hero would of course always be possible. Then for 2 you'd need a decent sized army, for 3 a large army. Then have 3, or maybe 4 for the really gigantic army, as a hard cap.
- Duke

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 16 May 2006, 08:53

More single scenario maps

Some of us aren't that amazing at completing campaigns :x
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Malicen
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malicen » 16 May 2006, 10:24

Ethric wrote:Regardless, I'd like to see a system where you have a choice between having your heroes hang back in (relative) safety, or step forward for some added bonuses (morale for army, higher damage of spells, that sort of thing). Only being allowed one hero seems quite restricting (less so in H5 of course as each faction only have 1 hero type, unlike H3 and H4...). A general is of to war, and he brings along a healer or other spellcaster (or the spellcaster brings the general along ;) ). It makes so much more sense to me. I don't think heroes should use creatureslots though, as in H4. Rather, have the allowable number of heroes be proportional to the size of the army. 1 hero would of course always be possible. Then for 2 you'd need a decent sized army, for 3 a large army. Then have 3, or maybe 4 for the really gigantic army, as a hard cap.
Well this is GREAT idea. I really think so. I don't like the fact that there is only one type of Hero per faction in H5, that is one downside. But for this what you're talking about I think it would require TREMENDOUS time for making it. I'm not much into how do you write a code for a game, but here you're talking about many, MANY different situations. Besides changing number of heroes in the army, and increasing the army size by that you also have to change the size of the battlefield and probably a bunch of other stuff as well. As I recall Fabrice was talking about dynamic battlefield which would resize in regard to the size of the army. They couldn't implement even that. I think that would be really hard to make possible, and probably there is some other reason they did not do it.
The prayers of the soul tend towards the helping angels discovering the griefs of the heart when pains are consuming it burning.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 16 May 2006, 10:25

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote:More single scenario maps

Some of us aren't that amazing at completing campaigns :x
Agree, bring em on and a juicy map, campaign and random map generator on top pleace! :-D
About the scenarios. I loved the H3 scenarios most of them gave you the freedom to choose which faction, hero, difficulty etc you wanted to use, not like most of those (those maps that came with the game) in H4 where I had to edit a certain map to let it allow me to choose which faction I wanted to play as. I hope there will be scenarios like Brave New World in H3 in H5 too which was one of my fav maps :-D

Milla aka. the Slayer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Milla aka. the Slayer » 16 May 2006, 10:33

Yeah, the part where one is not allowed to choose for himself which faction to play, I hate that :?? That is stupid especially because if you play against just two other AI players then they will be equipped with the castles you just don't want them to have :disagree:

I was just reminded that I must try H3. The praising of the game is endless ;)
This minor magical charm captures the viewer's attention and distra... ooo, pretty...
- Dragon Age Origins

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 16 May 2006, 13:38

Milla aka. the Slayer wrote: I was just reminded that I must try H3. The praising of the game is endless ;)
Try Heroes II Gold as well while you're at it. It's really too simple (no wait or defend button, only skip. No range penalty. Flyers got unlimited movement. Unit speed determines how far they can move and when it's their turn) but it can be fun too see where it all started in a deluxe version (Heroes II have the same engine as Heroes I but just lots of additional stuff like Shadow of Death to Heroes III).

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 May 2006, 14:03

Malicen wrote: But for this what you're talking about I think it would require TREMENDOUS time for making it.
Most of the things I wanted them to have in H5 would require a bit of actual work to implement, like uniquely-styled yet still balanced factions and a workable and fun system for having heroes in combat. And, seeing as it needed a fan uproar to have them delay the game till it was at least aproximately done, I guess they didn't have much time for it. Seems to me they spent all their creative time on the skillsystem, rest is just slapped together bits from H3 with a bad interface... and 3d graphics!

But I will never restrict my proposals for a game just because something simpler will require less work.
- Duke

Return to “Heroes V-VI”