What AI level is the computer not getting any advantages?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

What AI level is the computer not getting any advantages?

Unread postby ioticus » 15 May 2006, 03:23

I was wondering at what AI level the computer is on equal footing with the player and not getting any bonuses? Is it Hard difficulty? I was wondering because the AI is kicking my butt even on Normal difficulty.

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 15 May 2006, 20:13

I'm not sure about the resources given to computer-controlled heroes -- but I'd like to clarify that the amount of resources given to him has nothing to do with an "AI". It is perfectly possile to load the computer hero with a huge army and give him a simple, unwavering script to follow over the course of the scenario -- in which case, there would be no AI at all. If the scripting allowed the computer to react to and evaluate the player hero and his movements, then you'd have something like an AI

For instance: there appears to be no AI, I'm afraid, in the demo's "custom" scenario. The computer hero knows to re-capture nearby mines, but that's it. To capture his castle, all you have to do is grab a couple of his mines, stand near the castle (with or without an army) and wait for him to come out of the castle and re-capture the mines. He'll ignore you, and you can just walk into his empty castle.

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 15 May 2006, 21:18

I'm talking about the MP maps played against AI, not the scripted scenarios. I just want to know how the AI levels affect the amount of resources and the intelligence level of the AI.

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 16 May 2006, 12:04

No idea. There is no documention about that in the game, and not in the manual either.

The documention is one of the game's weak points by the way. There is nothing that tells you what Attack and Defense actually mean (though you can guess that it works like in Heroes III), how the Heroes movement points are calculated, how much damage spells do, or how long they last, or the precise effects of all kinds of abilities (say, how much damage Hellfire does, or Retaliation Strike, or even a normal attack).

Nival should have known that TBS players usually want to know that kind of thing. Not documenting it anywhere was a stupid decision.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 16 May 2006, 12:26

You know, had you waited and gotten a legal version, there might have been a manual enclosed that would have explained just that...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 12:32

Doubtfull GC. The lack of info about creature abilities does not bode well.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 16 May 2006, 12:36

Gaidal Cain wrote:You know, had you waited and gotten a legal version, there might have been a manual enclosed that would have explained just that...
Well, I very much doubt that the digital manual will be any different from the actually printed one. Especially as the printing of said manual must have happened quite a while ago.

I guess there still could be something like stat cards for the abilites, or there could be a patch that adds ingame documentation, but I doubt it. It seems that you will need fansites to even know what exactly your creatures can do.
I'm still undecided whether that is funny or sad.

Linky
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Linky » 16 May 2006, 16:04

I second that. All the game tells you is that a creature has the "shield bash" ability. Hooray! Now if I only knew what the hell 'shield bash' does.

This isn't something that's easy to miss or anything. I don't understand how this could've gotten by the devs.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 16 May 2006, 18:34

Well H4 had descriptions for all the abilities, so doing that would have broken the Golden Rule (H4 bad).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Pugsley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: What AI level is the computer not getting any advantages

Unread postby Pugsley » 17 May 2006, 22:57

ioticus wrote:I was wondering at what AI level the computer is on equal footing with the player and not getting any bonuses? Is it Hard difficulty? I was wondering because the AI is kicking my butt even on Normal difficulty.
AI has infinate resources on any difficulty, so its never on an equal footing, not sure if they get enhanced growth on higher difficulties though.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 08:56

What infinity resources for the comp, thats just not fair, is it?
And yes I miss creature special abilites description. But I know shield bash means f.ex the squire attacks twice in on attack, the weird is why does the conscripts have shield bash? They dont even have a shield!

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 09:00

Orfinn wrote:What infinity resources for the comp, thats just not fair, is it?
And yes I miss creature special abilites description. But I know shield bash means f.ex the squire attacks twice in on attack, the weird is why does the conscripts have shield bash? They dont even have a shield!
No,I think it means theres a chance for no retal.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 May 2006, 11:47

Heres a list of the creature abilities. Hope the descriptions will be in-game too.

http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... ties.shtml

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 18 May 2006, 14:14

Pugsley wrote:
ioticus wrote:I was wondering at what AI level the computer is on equal footing with the player and not getting any bonuses? Is it Hard difficulty? I was wondering because the AI is kicking my butt even on Normal difficulty.
AI has infinate resources on any difficulty, so its never on an equal footing, not sure if they get enhanced growth on higher difficulties though.
How do you know that?

Pugsley
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Pugsley » 18 May 2006, 15:22

ioticus wrote:
Pugsley wrote:
How do you know that?
This is a part of another post I made, and its been stripped down too:

I had 30 matriarchs unbuilt, aswell as 33 deep hydra's (I rush for unit production early for maximum long term growth), however his hero had teleport and managed to steal my main city before my main army could get back. What happened next defied all logic, he managed to build ALL of my shadow matriarchs and deep hydra's once he took my town to replace his cerberi and familiars, that must total over 75,000gold, thats INSANE especially for a map with no gold mines, just to have sitting in your bank when you have fully built all your own armies and towns and had to 'pay' for all your ore by a market, that was only about 2months into the game too, dear god Nival, just because your AI is awful doesnt mean you need to hand them infinate gold and resources.

From the thread here: (page3)
viewtopic.php?t=1677

ioticus
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby ioticus » 18 May 2006, 16:53

Pugsley,

Damn :( I hope what you're saying is not the case. I wish the developers would let us know the scoop.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 18 May 2006, 17:57

Orfinn wrote:Heres a list of the creature abilities. Hope the descriptions will be in-game too.

You know,its really stupid and tedious to have to thumb through the manual or go to web site whenever youre unsure what the ability does :disagree:

Anthriel
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Anthriel » 18 May 2006, 20:31

DaemianLucifer wrote:
Orfinn wrote:Heres a list of the creature abilities. Hope the descriptions will be in-game too.

You know,its really stupid and tedious to have to thumb through the manual or go to web site whenever youre unsure what the ability does :disagree:
Oh, I would be glad if the abilities would be carefully documented in the manural somewhere ... you actually have to play the guess game.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”