The Demo thread

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Valthin
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Valthin » 18 Apr 2006, 11:53

The Battle dive is very effective, but only against troops that don't move (i.e. shooters). It takes the griffins off the battlefield and for one round they cannot be fired at. That's very nice. Protect those precious griffins.

On the other hand, if your targeted stack should happen to move, or die, for that matter, they're screwed.
I use the battle dive on troops that move and i think it's cool. All you need to do it's just check the enemy speed and count where he can go.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Apr 2006, 12:49

Valthin wrote:
The Battle dive is very effective, but only against troops that don't move (i.e. shooters). It takes the griffins off the battlefield and for one round they cannot be fired at. That's very nice. Protect those precious griffins.

On the other hand, if your targeted stack should happen to move, or die, for that matter, they're screwed.
I use the battle dive on troops that move and i think it's cool. All you need to do it's just check the enemy speed and count where he can go.

And that adds tactic and depth to the battle :)

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 18 Apr 2006, 15:10

Valthin wrote:

IT is important to look at th initiative bar when using the battle dive. The griffin will reappear at its NEXT action. Thus, if the griffin is going twice before the creature you want to target can move, you know the attack will work. This also makes spells that change initiative VERY powerful (and considering one of the Haven abilities is a 0-spell point boost spell, griffin are very happy creatures! :D )

Arpanet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arpanet » 18 Apr 2006, 19:56

Call me a huge fanboy/sheep, but I'm over-f*cking-joyed at this demo. I never played HoMM4, but I've heard terrible things about it. I'm glad to see that HoMM5 picks up where HoMM3 (probably my favorite game of all time) left off. The graphics and artwork are stunning, the sound and music are both great (with the exception of the voiceovers... ugh), and the gameplay is rock solid. I don't get the complaints about gameplay at all. As far as I'm concerned, it's very intuitive for a veteran of the series. I can see how newbies to HoMM would have trouble... but really, guys, everything is where it should be. Stop whining. Combat is insanely fun - it has the same depth as HoMM3 (maybe even more so, with the new initiative system... once you master its inner workings you can pull off some really cool shit) and the visuals make it a blast to watch.

My only gripe is that the maps feel much more linear than in previous iterations - fewer wide-open spaces and more paths. Then again, the demo only has 3 maps, and I'm sure the community will remake some of our old favorites. I'm not too worried about that.

All in all, I couldn't ask for much more in a Heroes game. I have ridiculously high expectations (I was playing Heroes II when I was 10; to say that I love the series is a gross understatement) and they've all been met. I used to be worried that Nival and Ubisoft would try to make Heroes something it's not. No more.

Wildbear
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Wildbear » 18 Apr 2006, 20:56

Good that you didn't play H4, so you don't know what's missing from H5 and can enjoy it.
Image Spiritu Insanum

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Apr 2006, 21:15

The graphics and artwork are stunning

No, they aren't. But the gameplay's good.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 18 Apr 2006, 21:27

ThunderTitan wrote:
The graphics and artwork are stunning

No, they aren't. But the gameplay's good.
Yes they are, they arent as crappy as the WC3 graphics! And the gameplay is great but even greater in the full version ofcourse.

Toejam
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Toejam » 18 Apr 2006, 21:44

I just hope that the "do this in week one, do that in week two" quests, is not the ubisoft answer to try to speed the game up, because i like to spend alot of time in a heroes game...

If the hole game is gonna be like that i really wont like it, it's verry limiting in things you can do :(
Keep your friends close... And your enemy's closer !

Sir Alock
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Sir Alock » 18 Apr 2006, 22:50

Arpanet wrote:Call me a huge fanboy/sheep, but I'm over-f*cking-joyed at this demo. I never played HoMM4, but I've heard terrible things about it. I'm glad to see that HoMM5 picks up where HoMM3 (probably my favorite game of all time) left off. The graphics and artwork are stunning, the sound and music are both great (with the exception of the voiceovers... ugh), and the gameplay is rock solid. I don't get the complaints about gameplay at all. As far as I'm concerned, it's very intuitive for a veteran of the series. I can see how newbies to HoMM would have trouble... but really, guys, everything is where it should be. Stop whining. Combat is insanely fun - it has the same depth as HoMM3 (maybe even more so, with the new initiative system... once you master its inner workings you can pull off some really cool ****) and the visuals make it a blast to watch.

My only gripe is that the maps feel much more linear than in previous iterations - fewer wide-open spaces and more paths. Then again, the demo only has 3 maps, and I'm sure the community will remake some of our old favorites. I'm not too worried about that.

All in all, I couldn't ask for much more in a Heroes game. I have ridiculously high expectations (I was playing Heroes II when I was 10; to say that I love the series is a gross understatement) and they've all been met. I used to be worried that Nival and Ubisoft would try to make Heroes something it's not. No more.
Arpanet: Amen brother! Couln't have said it any better! I'm 40 years old & HoMM 1 was my very first PC game. Played it on a 486 DX2 (Pre-Pentium Days) & HoMMV looks like a pure winner!

If any of you guys our crying about the little things...Please...Stop it! If the demo is an indication of what were going to see in Mid-May..Then were ALL in for a treat.

My only concern is a Map Editor....We have to have one. I just going to sit back & see if we get one upon the release date.

Alex

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Apr 2006, 23:15

Orfinn wrote: Yes they are, they arent as crappy as the WC3 graphics! And the gameplay is great but even greater in the full version ofcourse.
That's just the pretty lights drawing all the atention, but I guess it's livable with. And don't even get me started on the art style.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Apr 2006, 23:15

Wildbear wrote:Good that you didn't play H4, so you don't know what's missing from H5 and can enjoy it.
And good othat I did play H4, so I know what H4 was missing and can enjoy it (AI :)). The only thing I'm really missing is the flaggable windmills and water wheels, since I discovered the joys of the Summon Creature spell.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 18 Apr 2006, 23:17

ThunderTitan wrote:
Orfinn wrote: Yes they are, they arent as crappy as the WC3 graphics! And the gameplay is great but even greater in the full version ofcourse.
That's just the pretty lights drawing all the atention, but I guess it's livable with. And don't even get me started on the art style.
Too anime? I believe that was the complaint when they first posted the concept art for the Angel. I've got an overall positive feeling about the graphics, but I grew up reading American comic books. Most of those looks are right up my alley.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Apr 2006, 23:24

Not too anime, just not my thing. Never did care for french tastes anyway.

Salisa
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Salisa » 19 Apr 2006, 00:27

Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Valthin wrote:

IT is important to look at th initiative bar when using the battle dive. The griffin will reappear at its NEXT action. Thus, if the griffin is going twice before the creature you want to target can move, you know the attack will work. This also makes spells that change initiative VERY powerful (and considering one of the Haven abilities is a 0-spell point boost spell, griffin are very happy creatures! :D )
Gee whenever I target the AI movable stack they have always stopped at a different square..

You can't count on your cue spot for when your griffins will dive do to spells that hast creatures and change the order of actions

So in a way this isn't more strategic, as it's more guesswork, but it looks great.. great damage bonus too

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 19 Apr 2006, 00:27

I think we have enough of a discussion going to open a seperate thread on the H5 graphics. See you there! ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Arpanet
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arpanet » 19 Apr 2006, 02:31

ThunderTitan wrote:Not too anime, just not my thing. Never did care for french tastes anyway.
Uh... you mean Russian? In any case, to each his own, but I love the character design.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2006, 09:45

Arpanet wrote: Uh... you mean Russian?
French artists did the creature schetches.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 19 Apr 2006, 10:04

Salisa wrote:
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
Valthin wrote: I use the battle dive on troops that move and i think it's cool. All you need to do it's just check the enemy speed and count where he can go.
Gee whenever I target the AI movable stack they have always stopped at a different square..

You can't count on your cue spot for when your griffins will dive do to spells that hast creatures and change the order of actions

So in a way this isn't more strategic, as it's more guesswork, but it looks great.. great damage bonus too
The griffins battle dive is deadly! Not only does the move punch in a great deal of damage, it also protects your griffiins from all kind of attacks. When the enemy use those beasts against me I get a bit terryfied, because I really dont know which creature stack of mine they will attack with BD, yes I know they go for ranged troops but i have noticed while playing with Inferno that they also target weaker creatures like imps, horned demons and even nightmares. So every time the enemy force me to move away some squares from the stacks original position or attack. Its annoying those griffins, but I like the challenge :-D :D

bethrezen
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby bethrezen » 19 Apr 2006, 16:51

I have read before that the angels spirit never die and returt in town for hire again...this is not happend in demo...why?

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 19 Apr 2006, 17:01

bethrezen wrote:I have read before that the angels spirit never die and returt in town for hire again...this is not happend in demo...why?
Because that was a misconception steming from the angels description! When they die they actualy drop the sword and a white light goes up to tyhe sky. So when they die they go back to their dragon god, and then they can come back to be hired by you. It's only a story element.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”