Heroic: artefacts

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 12 Sep 2011, 14:25

Groovy wrote:Do you mean faction-guided or race-guided?
That's an option, yes, :) but perhaps more directed to faction rather than race - although specific races might have a better understanding of certain faction lore. It would, sooner or later, lace three subjects into one finality, as faction, race and artifact history becoming a single subject.

Example:
Artifact name: The Lost Shark-Fin of Eleven Songs.
Artifact effect on a town: due important history background, when people at Sanctuary knows of this artifact is being held at their city, praying is increased boosting 10% of spell casting effect to all Sanctuary heroes.
End of example.

Just showing that the artifact may be nothing really useful, but it has some important history background giving an effect to Sanctuary. If you get this artifact to a Inferno town, for instance, they would know nothing about it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Sep 2011, 10:04

Panda Tar wrote:Example:
Artifact name: The Lost Shark-Fin of Eleven Songs.
Artifact effect on a town: due important history background, when people at Sanctuary knows of this artifact is being held at their city, praying is increased boosting 10% of spell casting effect to all Sanctuary heroes.
End of example.

Just showing that the artifact may be nothing really useful, but it has some important history background giving an effect to Sanctuary. If you get this artifact to a Inferno town, for instance, they would know nothing about it.
This is how I would integrate the idea into my game design:

I would have a unique historical artefact for each race. The artefact would tell the story of the origins of the race and how it got embroiled in the affairs of the world. The artefact would enhance the skill that is unique to the heroes of that race. For example, the Dwarf artefact would be a symbol of their craftsmanship prowess and would increase the proficiency with which Dwarf heroes use it.

The historical artefacts from each of the races that comprise a single faction could be combined into a composite monument. The monument would tell the story of their unification, of how they have come together to work for the common cause. It would serve as inspiration to the creatures living in the town and provide them with a sense of shared identity. As such, it would provide a bonus to the function of the town that is unique to that faction. For example, if Necromancy relies on life force to animate dead, the monument could provide a life force bonus.

I would limit the effect of the artefact/monument to the hero/town where it is kept. Mostly because I have other mechanics to spread the effect beyond.

How this fits into your game design, you ask? I have no idea. ;|

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 13 Sep 2011, 11:45

Cool. :)

Regarding my designs, someday I might post them for discussion. They were a bit out-to-date, but I've been giving them some facelift in the days of late. A good advance started after discussing some matters here. ;)
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 13 Sep 2011, 19:08

I’m glad. I can see myself going back into hibernation following these discussions, so if the ideas live on in someone else’s design, so much the better! :oex: :hug:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 14 Sep 2011, 14:13

Yes, yes. B-) Giving the current feel for Heroes 6, trying to make new things seem like a way not to lose Hope as well. :D

Right now I'm redesigning the Skill system. That FF grid gave some inspiration to work something out, using keyskills. It's going to be a huge evolution grid - not meant to be passed throughouly after only one playing (like in Heroes 6 - given that you can actually reset your skills and read every effects beforehand...).

*crossing fingers for Hope*

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 14 Sep 2011, 15:20

A huge evolution grid sounds right up my alley. I still remember playing fan-made HoMM 3 maps that felt positively epic – lasting for days and involving clashes of thousands of level 7 creatures (unlike the campaigns that I’ve played, which were comparatively modest in their sweep). A skill tree that can go the distance with that kind of map would be warmly appreciated.

Groovy
Golem
Golem

Unread postby Groovy » 11 Oct 2011, 21:20

Groovy wrote:Building on my suggestion (from here) that towns house four levels of creatures, each one from a different race, we can extend the same racial distinction to the heroes that are affiliated with the town.
It has just occurred to me that accurately modelling heroes’ races could have interesting implications on how artefacts are worn. For example, an Angel hero would be able to wear artefacts on his wings, whereas a Demon hero could wear artefacts on his horns. A Dragon hero could wear two pairs of boots, or perhaps choose to wear up to four rings instead. This would be of particular significance to composite artefacts, perhaps allowing multiple ways of constructing them.

All in all, this could provide fresh variations on the standard human doll model.

mr.hackcrag
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby mr.hackcrag » 12 Oct 2011, 01:31

Keep up the good work Groovy. I hope there will be a master document in the future.

Return to “Heroes V-VI”