Will there be a console version ?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2010, 16:06

People are still stuck thinking that current gen consoles are still as limited compared to PC's as the older generations... but that's not true, they're all basically low end computers right now (and they used to be medium to high end ones when they first showed up).
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 23 Aug 2010, 16:18

But the problem is not a technical one. Of course consoles are technically capable of runing the game. The problem is that console players are not supposed to like such long lasting games.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2010, 16:44

Some people seem to think otherwise... that's what i was trying to make clear.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Aug 2010, 16:52

Yes, it's not like consoles have never been used for long-lasting games. Final Fantasy, anyone?
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2010, 16:58

Yeah, i never got how RPG's can be popular but not strategy games... maybe it's because RPG's have a more cinematic presentation to them... or because they're legacy games on consoles... but they still don't sell as well as FPS's...

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 23 Aug 2010, 17:02

I guess so, but it probably has more to do with a conscious choice on part of the producers; to separate games, making some for PCs, some for consoles, and only a few for all platforms. Money talks, you know. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2010, 17:04

Except that all the genres where on all the platforms, and strategy games have always sold poorly on consoles, even if they where a hit on the PC...

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 23 Aug 2010, 17:26

Kalah wrote:Yes, it's not like consoles have never been used for long-lasting games. Final Fantasy, anyone?
If you consider 25-30 hours long. Now if you include Final Fantasy TACTICS, that's another story (I clocked over 100 hrs. on it).

In fact, there have been a number of tactical games that sold well (Disgaea is the first one after FF Tactics that comes to mind), so they could do so. Personally (and I am biased since the only one of the current-gen consoles I have is a Wii) I think the wii would be perfect for it- the Wii remote works beautifully for any point-and-click interface. As long as sliders are available for quantity counts.
I don't know how the Sony motion-sensing controller will work (the new one- is it called "move"?), so I can't comment on that.
MS active would be awful, at least in the form I have seen it in previews...
Matthew Charlap -353 HoMM map reviews and counting...

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 23 Aug 2010, 17:34

Wasn't FF13 like 20 hours only to get to the actual enjoyable parts of the game?!

But weren't FF Tactics more like a RPG then a RTS anyhow.

LongDarkBlues
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby LongDarkBlues » 23 Aug 2010, 22:31

Final Fantasy Tactics is downloadable for the PS3. The PS3 actually has a few TBS games - Valkyria Chronicles is stellar. Band of Bugs is on the XBLA, but it's pretty slight, and Greed Corp is fairly simple, but pretty good.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 24 Aug 2010, 06:30

Valkyria Chronicles got a sequel on the PSP... that should tell you plenty about TBS's on consoles.

OliverFA
Scout
Scout

Unread postby OliverFA » 24 Aug 2010, 16:49

Yes. And as I said, there are three great TBS ganes in NDS. "Age of Empires: Age of Kings", "Panzer Tactics" and "Advanced Wars". But it seems that it makes a difference between hanhelds and the other consoles

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 25 Aug 2010, 07:42

Lets stick to the common usage of consoles as the video game consoles, shall we. Everyone uses consoles for them and hand-helds for the others.

labwarrior
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labwarrior » 27 Aug 2010, 23:10

ThunderTitan wrote:Why do you think that Heroes is the one game that will buckle the trend?!

Strategy games don't do well on consoles, that's a fact... be it because of gamepad, players or anything else you want (hint, it's players, even the Halo name didn't get that game more the 1 mil in sales).
A million sales is not low, at all

Also Heroes is turn based and does not have complicated contols like RTS games, so would be the perfect strategy game for consoles actually

labwarrior
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labwarrior » 27 Aug 2010, 23:21

LongDarkBlues wrote:Final Fantasy Tactics is downloadable for the PS3. The PS3 actually has a few TBS games - Valkyria Chronicles is stellar. Band of Bugs is on the XBLA, but it's pretty slight, and Greed Corp is fairly simple, but pretty good.
Might and Magic Clash of Heroes will soon be on XBLA and PSN too, i hope Heroes 6 comes as well

Mirez
Location: in the core of the hart of the centre of everything

Unread postby Mirez » 28 Aug 2010, 11:23

halo wars was a pathetic excuse for an rts, no self respecting rts player would buy it. It's only because the name halo was on it it sold a million.
treants are dendrosexual 0_o

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 29 Aug 2010, 12:13

labwarrior wrote: A million sales is not low, at all
If SC2 or C&C had sold just a million it would have been considered a failure... and that's on the PC.

And it was a game with the Halo name on it, which people where expecting to sell 2 million at least... and it still sold very well for a strategy game on the consoles.

Face it, now with games selling over 10 million on consoles what constitutes success in sales has changed.

labwarrior
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby labwarrior » 29 Aug 2010, 19:45

ThunderTitan wrote:
labwarrior wrote: A million sales is not low, at all
If SC2 or C&C had sold just a million it would have been considered a failure... and that's on the PC.

And it was a game with the Halo name on it, which people where expecting to sell 2 million at least... and it still sold very well for a strategy game on the consoles.

Face it, now with games selling over 10 million on consoles what constitutes success in sales has changed.
That is only very few titles and only huge names, like COD, Halo

500.000 is considered a success for consoles and 1 million a big success, for 99% of games

Who on his right mind would expect a game to sell 10.000.000 when 99% of games sell less than 1 million ?

Even if it sold 500.000 would still mattter and open the way for more sales, which is only good for the franshise

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 Aug 2010, 16:23

labwarrior wrote: 500.000 is considered a success for consoles and 1 million a big success, for 99% of games
Really... name one. That's how it used to be on the PC, and kinda still is.

Who on his right mind would expect a game to sell 10.000.000 when 99% of games sell less than 1 million ?
Not 10, but more the 1 probably. Otherwise you'd hear less about PC gaming dying from consolamers...

Return to “Heroes V-VI”