Are you going to buy Heroes V?

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.

Are you going to buy Heroes V?

Yes
53%
No
24%
I am undecided as of now
23%

Total votes: 126

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Mar 2006, 18:25

Gyx wrote:… Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that so many frequent visitors of the Round Table are uncertain about pruchasing the game. I mean, is the development of Heroes V not what we have been waiting for, for all these years? Even if the endresult can be something else from what you would have hoped for? :|
Actually, it's much more than just the end result of the game … it's StarForce, it's horrible customer relations with UbiSoft, it's annoying 3d camera angles & panning in & out, it's stupid creature names & appearances, it's the planning of the game around the graphics, it's the copying of Heroes III in 3d with rehashed creatures, it's the decrease in the magic system & spells, it's the small battlefield size, and again, it's horrible customer relations with UbiSoft and finally and most importantly, it's StarForce! :scared:
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 09 Mar 2006, 18:29

You are not the HodgePodge I once knew, you have changed so much just because of SF? :|

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2006, 18:32

Gyx wrote: Even if the endresult can be something else from what you would have hoped for? :|
Buying crappy games because of their names just encourages them to make more crappy games. Just say NO... ;)
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 09 Mar 2006, 18:45

ThunderTitan wrote:Buying crappy games because of their names just encourages them to make more crappy games. Just say NO... ;)
My thoughts exactly. Not that this shall change the inevitable release of the game... :disagree:
Hell has frozen over...

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 18:51

I am fairly confident they'll still be making more crappy games whether you buy H5 or not.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2006, 19:00

Duh... but if they find a way to sell those games just as well as good ones they'll most likely always choose to make the crappy ones.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Mar 2006, 19:05

Orfinn wrote:You are not the HodgePodge I once knew, you have changed so much just because of SF? :|
What's that supposed to mean? I'm still very much the same person I've been all along! Can't someone with a good sense of humor be serious when the situation calls for it? Should everyone just roll over like a dog and let UbiSoft kick them around? Should all us fans buy the game just because it bears the Heroes of Might & Magic name? We may be loyal fans of Heroes but we aren't necessarily fans of UbiSoft … and we aren't stupid either … at least not most of us!

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2006, 19:50

"The fear of SF is a path to the Dark Side." — Yoda, kinda

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 09 Mar 2006, 20:00

ThunderTitan wrote:"The fear of SF is a path to the Dark Side." — Yoda, kinda
Better to be SAFE than SORRY! Author unknown, but profusely quoted by HodgePodge :-D

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 20:02

There is a time to be safe, that's for sure. But sometimes if you play it too safe in the hope that you are protecting yourself, especially from irrational fears, you just end up missing opportunities. If you play it safe your entire life, then by the time you die, you haven't really lived.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 09 Mar 2006, 20:33

chaosgorgon wrote:
-and ppl that just arent interested to play only H3 in 3d
Those are counted among “Heroes IV fans”. They may not be actual Heroes IV fans, but their reasons for not being excited about HV are the same—it’s largely a rehash of Heroes III, it’s missing newer features etc...
chaosgorgon wrote:
the story in the game was always somewhat bland
If you completely ignore it, as so many seem to do (sadly :sad:) then yes, it would appear bland. But while I doubt I’m in the majority I know I am not the only one who plays Heroes for plot.
Corribus wrote:I am fairly confident they'll still be making more crappy games whether you buy H5 or not.
But by not buying bad games we’re saving our money for something we will enjoy…a new car, perhaps, or a nice vacation somewhere warm…

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 09 Mar 2006, 20:39

Kareeah Indaga wrote:But by not buying bad games we’re saving our money for something we will enjoy…a new car, perhaps, or a nice vacation somewhere warm…
Cars can be lemons; vacations can have bad weather. No matter how you spend your money, your risk disappointment. I'm not saying you shouldn't bypass things you don't think are worth your investment. But sometimes it's worth it to take risks, and 50 dollars hardly seems like much of a risk if you are "unsure".

Zombie
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Zombie » 09 Mar 2006, 21:05

Probably not, mainly because of 3D, and partly because of Starforce.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 09 Mar 2006, 21:11

It's not lower sales that will force Ubisoft to change its strategy regarding copy protection: they will probably blame the good weather or software piracy. Instead, it's the outrage that will happen if a large numbers of fans experience problems with Starforce.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 09 Mar 2006, 21:18

Kareeah Indaga wrote: But by not buying bad games we’re saving our money for something we will enjoy…a new car, perhaps, or a nice vacation somewhere warm…
OK, I want to know where ur getting a new car for 50$. The vacation too. Heck, for that kinda money I wuld buy 10 cars and 15 vacations.

Kareeah Indaga
Archlich
Archlich

Unread postby Kareeah Indaga » 09 Mar 2006, 21:51

Corribus wrote: Cars can be lemons; vacations can have bad weather. No matter how you spend your money, your risk disappointment.
It’s one thing to risk it; quite another to throw it away. Risk works both ways, as you know, and some risks have a greater chance for disappointment than others.
Corribus wrote: But sometimes it's worth it to take risks, and 50 dollars hardly seems like much of a risk if you are "unsure".
That depends on how much you make, and how much of that goes towards bills, food and other non-luxury expenses. I look forward to the day I can spend fifty dollars as casually as fifty cents.
ThunderTitan wrote:OK, I want to know where ur getting a new car for 50$. The vacation too. Heck, for that kinda money I wuld buy 10 cars and 15 vacations.
Hotwheels leading the way. :D Kidding!

You’ll note I wrote saving money. No, I don’t know of a good car/vacation you can get for $50 (does visiting relatives count? ;)), but by not spending that $50 (or equivalent) you’re $50 closer to that car or vacation. On the other hand, playing a new game right now might be preferable to waiting a few months for a Caribbean cruise, it’s all in how you want to spend it.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 09 Mar 2006, 22:01

50 dollars might not be much to risk, but if all the information about SF is true, then one would risk more than that. From what I understood, SF seems pretty close to the incarnation of a PC-devil/succubus :) of some sort.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Derek
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Derek » 09 Mar 2006, 22:17

I have to agree with Kareeah here. I really don't just have $50 to just throw somewhere and hope that what I bought was good. I need to have proof that the game is going to be good, and all signs point to the fact that this is not going to be the case.

I must say that I envy the fact that you, Corribus, have the ability to spend all that money on something that you think may not be the best investment. Oh...how nice that would be.
Hell has frozen over...

berntie
Scout
Scout

Unread postby berntie » 09 Mar 2006, 22:32

Corribus wrote:I am fairly confident they'll still be making more crappy games whether you buy H5 or not.
Yeah, but those crappy games will probably not be Heroes sequels.

I guess it depends on wether you prefer

- a crappy sequel
- or no sequel at all

Well, just wait and see what they make of the final retail version. I think the game will have some shortcomings (HodgePodge already listed them) but that doesn't mean the game will be "crappy". If it's good and people buy it, there's a fair chance Heroes VI will be better.

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 09 Mar 2006, 23:42

"Those are counted among “Heroes IV fans”. They may not be actual Heroes IV fans, but their reasons for not being excited about HV are the same—it’s largely a rehash of Heroes III, it’s missing newer features etc..."

so then why to put them as H4 fans??, couldnt more Heroes fans that are boring to play exactly the same game now with 3d stuff??

believe me there are guys that loved H3, hated H4, but even they wont buy the same H3 again wit fancy graphics

close to my case, i just accept that H3 was the best of all, H4 wasnt so good -to me- , but that dont mean that i want to play it again, and again, and again, knowing all the problems that have, and knowing that allready is boring

Return to “Heroes V-VI”