Love/Hate Inferno

The new Heroes games produced by Ubisoft. Please specify which game you are referring to in your post.
themasterthiever
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Love/Hate Inferno

Unread postby themasterthiever » 28 Feb 2006, 23:40

I must say that the Inferno faction is by far my least favorite faction conceptually. It is a bunch of crazy fiends running around, and it does not fit my fantasy tastes- it does not seem to me to be worthy of an entire faction. Sure, put a wandering Devil or Cerberus in there, but not a whole castle devoted to it.

However, I must say that as I look at the Inferno faction, it is incredibly well done. The Giant pillar thrust into the lava is awesome, as is the hulking hero, the playful imps, and the devil. So I am at a bit of a loss for an opinion: I hate the concept, but the actual content is very high. Does not anyone feel the same way about this or any other faction?
Pax tecum

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 01 Mar 2006, 00:46

When I first heard the Inferno was in H3, I didn't think the idea had merit. It seemed too much of a departure from Heroes II. But then, Necromancers weren't in Heroes I, so I guess Heroes II was a departure in and of itself.

The idea of a demonologist or one who consorts with forbidden entities is common enough in high fantasy, and Heroes of Might and Magic is a strategy game in a high fantasy setting. Therefore I have no real problems with the concept, so long as it's treated well. Many were not appreciative of the Infernopolis melding performed in Heroes IV.

As far as actual content goes, they've done a great job with H5's conception. The reversed wings of the Balor and the demonic cross of the Devils are nice details to describe a twisted perspective, and the town screen's dramatic. Now, if we could just get a bit more freedom with the camera . . .
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 01 Mar 2006, 06:27

It is done great graphically,as is about 80% of the game.But the names are just awful.And so are the upgrades,both stat and graphic wise(set it on fire and it is upgraded :disagree: ).I never liked inferno,not just because it was rather weak,but because it seems some creatures are there just to fill the gaps.Now it is not weak,but overpowered,and the gap fillers are there again.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 01 Mar 2006, 08:27

Inferno this time are really fiery and spice the whole up a bit, I like mostly anything of Inferno, but some names are just lame, if they only could have fixed the bad ones. Normally I hate playing the infernalistic inferno guys, but when im in a bad, angry mood I love playing them, a perfect game to let hell destroy in full freedom.

The creatures are nice, Like the cunning but cute imps and familiars to the dreadful pit fiends and the seducing succubi, they got style, a really hot & fiery style B-)

omegaweix
Scout
Scout

Unread postby omegaweix » 01 Mar 2006, 11:58

DaemianLucifer wrote: ... I never liked inferno,not just because it was rather weak,but because it seems some creatures are there just to fill the gaps.Now it is not weak,but overpowered,and the gap fillers are there again.

Funny, it's the same with me....
Really hated Inferno in Heroes 3, because almost every creature beyound the imp in my eyes was just another ugly red or brown thing with horns except the eefrets and devils of course..... so when i heard, inferno is back in H5 i just thought...... "yawn"

But after getting in touch with them in the beta i slowly changed my attitude towards them.....

And i don't think that they're many "gap" fillers" amongst them now....
.... Succubi, Balors, Nightmares now look and feel rather unique.... or at least not "that the same" !

....the only exception might be the red level 2 thing with the mishaped butt and the exploding special.....still do not know what to do with them, but otherwise? A clearly advancement from HIII !

So this time, i will actually play with Inferno because i want to.... and not because i was getting bored with the other factions, because i played them too often :D
plastic people

silicone

never let them in your home

themasterthiever
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby themasterthiever » 01 Mar 2006, 15:27

I think that with 7 creature levels, there will always be "filler." I wrote a thread a long time ago about classic creatures and filler creatures. I think each faction has some fillers- in 3 and 5, but there are fewer in 5 than in 3.

Everyone remembers Serpent Flies, Master Gremlins, and Silver Pegasi. I mean, the ideas are cool, but they are not classic enough for my tastes. Now we have Rakshasa Rajas, Angels (I think they do not fit the Haven Town, at least not in their present appearance- compare all the other creatures in that town looks and powers wise), and Blood Furies. Again, cool concepts and such, but they just are either not classic enough, like the Blood Furies, or they don't fir the town, like the angels; hence, they are fillers.
Pax tecum

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 02 Mar 2006, 06:07

Thats why 7 upgradeable levels are too much.6 would be much better,especially with chaotic upgrades.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 02 Mar 2006, 14:49

themasterthiever wrote:I think that with 7 creature levels, there will always be "filler." I wrote a thread a long time ago about classic creatures and filler creatures. I think each faction has some fillers- in 3 and 5, but there are fewer in 5 than in 3.

Everyone remembers Serpent Flies, Master Gremlins, and Silver Pegasi. I mean, the ideas are cool, but they are not classic enough for my tastes. Now we have Rakshasa Rajas, Angels (I think they do not fit the Haven Town, at least not in their present appearance- compare all the other creatures in that town looks and powers wise), and Blood Furies. Again, cool concepts and such, but they just are either not classic enough, like the Blood Furies, or they don't fir the town, like the angels; hence, they are fillers.
Serpent Flies and Pegasi being two of my favorite units, I'm going to have to disagree with the "filler" description. But that's okay; it seems that filler is a matter of taste rather than stats and numbers.
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

themasterthiever
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby themasterthiever » 02 Mar 2006, 18:54

Silver Pegasi were a cool idea, but the serpent flies? They are not classical, epic fantasy, and neither are master gremlins.
Pax tecum

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 03 Mar 2006, 21:43

To be honest, the Inferno faction was my least favourite in Heroes 3, but so far there are two reasons to change that in Heroes 5 ;)

1. Succubi - counter range attack, and chain fire attack is nice, IMO probably the best NEW unit in Heroes 5.

2. Nice town atmosphere ;)

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 04 Mar 2006, 05:44

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex wrote: 2. Nice town atmosphere ;)
Sulfur, Brimstone, and 200-degree temperatures? :)

Gljivko a.k.a Vortex
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Gljivko a.k.a Vortex » 04 Mar 2006, 15:08

Bandobras Took wrote: Sulfur, Brimstone, and 200-degree temperatures? :)
And occasional meteor fall ;)

Abaddon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Why...

Unread postby Abaddon » 19 Mar 2006, 05:10

...do so many people hate inferno?
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 19 Mar 2006, 07:53

Iferno is my favorite faction :devil: In H5
I'm not evil :devious: ... mostly :D
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

Abaddon
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Abaddon » 19 Mar 2006, 11:18

That's good my friend.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Boromir
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Boromir » 19 Mar 2006, 15:50

I like the Inferno in H5, especially because of the graphics. In contrast to H3, where all Inferno units were more or less humanoids, here every demon is unique. And the town graphics is awesome. :)
Cheers,
Boromir
For every difficult question there is an easy answer: short, simple and wrong.

theGryphon
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby theGryphon » 19 Mar 2006, 22:05

I like the Inferno. Unlike some, I also like that their damage range is so high. It's kind of their character!

soupnazii
Genie
Genie

Unread postby soupnazii » 19 Mar 2006, 22:55

i dont know about you guys, but i love inferno. along with dungeon, favorite town in H3. i think that H4 really didnt do them justice, blending them with the necro guys under a "death" theme, but H5 really hits the spot. basically took the 1 from H3 and made it better. however, i do agree that some of the names need to be changed.

borco
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby borco » 21 Mar 2006, 16:52

Inferno looks great in H5, and apart from look I like them cos of gating ability, and sucubi range retalation.... :devil:

Return to “Heroes V-VI”