Black Knight Mod

Mods and development for mods. Including WoG & Equilibris (RU) subforums.
Tristan-IJB
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tristan-IJB » 24 May 2006, 15:46

Dublex wrote:That might be more complex, as the Black Knight is already in game as a neutral creautre along with the elementals.

A Trenant would mean a reskinning job, which looks like it is possible (as the black knight replacement shows) but would probably take longer to do.
By a treant mod I thought about a mod that could replace the new teant with the old one, which was far better than the one we have now. The old one can be found in the beta data.pack

I'm keeping my finger cross for you Arstahd B-)

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 24 May 2006, 16:49

The Black Knight was fairly easy to implement because it was already in the game as a partially finished creature that shared most of it's graphics with the Death Knight. I added the missing files and remapped the horse/sword model to a new texture.

I have looked into swapping the gargoyle models for something else but have been only partially successful so far.

The data files for this game are a mess, they look like the work of a six year old, there is no consistancy. Some folders have subfolders for all 6 factions, while others may only have 4 or 2. Some creature folders have 8 files per unit, others only 2 or 3. Also the actual models for the creatures seem to be compiled as binaries with no reconizable file names. All this make swapping out graphics quite a chore.

As for the Treant, I don't have the beta so unless the original models are still in the game somewhere, I won't be able to do much.

Tristan-IJB
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Tristan-IJB » 24 May 2006, 19:18

As far as I know, there are many people who still have the beta on their hard drive.
Maybe if you have some time you could check the topic on offical forum. There is a subject there about call for vox populi to save the treants. Many people said there that they can give the files from the beta.

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 24 May 2006, 19:58

ermm, the dark knight mod thingy, not the most originilal thing for a mod, specially if is the same lvl as H3.......

i mean, dont know how will be the mod community..... a H3 total conversion?, a LoTR total conversion??, come on guys dont have anything more original?? or the "cool" treant mod???, the clasic angel conversion??, come on....

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 24 May 2006, 20:07

...how long have the game been out? :|

People are dabbling, trying to find out how it works with small mods, and you complain it's not original enough, and make wild assumptions about future conversionmods. Not to constructive there methinks.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 24 May 2006, 20:15

well i agree with you , but my point here is that i almost sure that the H5 mod community will be a "whining" mod community, i mean

:( , my blacknigths.........the BK mod
:( , my treants..........the beta treant mod
:( , my male angels.......the male angels mod

etc,etc,etc ;|

i mean would be more original to put the BK in other lvl, not ??, and experiment other tactics, now we have 5 flyers and 1 shooters, as 7th lvl, then why not to put the BK as 7th lvl??, i mean thats not what i want,but just try to be more original
Last edited by chaosgorgon on 24 May 2006, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Zamolxis
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Zamolxis » 24 May 2006, 20:25

Campaigner wrote:Cool change. Time to make a priority list for creatures that must change.

1. Treant (I want a T-R-E-A-N-T! Not a wooden stick!)
2. Speed of units. (Slow units rush forward like it was a race)
I'm happy to say that for once I agree with Campaigner on sth. :D

I hope a mod will be kind enough and look into these two things... (if 2nd is too complicated, then at least 1st).

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 24 May 2006, 20:37

:( , my genies.......... the genie mod
:( , my colosus..........the colosus mod
:( , the plague zomby...........the zomby mod
:( , the dungneon chicks............the dungneon warlock mod

etc, etc, etc ;| ;| ;|

the picture is so clear to me now

Solohk
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Solohk » 24 May 2006, 21:10

Feel free to create your own mod.

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 24 May 2006, 21:16

chaosgorgon wrote::( , my genies.......... the genie mod
:( , my colosus..........the colosus mod
:( , the plague zomby...........the zomby mod
:( , the dungneon chicks............the dungneon warlock mod

etc, etc, etc ;| ;| ;|

the picture is so clear to me now
It's clear to me too...

:( , I'm not happy unless I complain about modders............the "I like to cry about the mod community" King of all whiners.

etc, etc, etc dontknow dontknow dontknow

Wolfshanze
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby Wolfshanze » 24 May 2006, 21:18

Arstahd wrote:The Black Knight was fairly easy to implement because it was already in the game as a partially finished creature that shared most of it's graphics with the Death Knight. I added the missing files and remapped the horse/sword model to a new texture.

I have looked into swapping the gargoyle models for something else but have been only partially successful so far.

The data files for this game are a mess, they look like the work of a six year old, there is no consistancy. Some folders have subfolders for all 6 factions, while others may only have 4 or 2. Some creature folders have 8 files per unit, others only 2 or 3. Also the actual models for the creatures seem to be compiled as binaries with no reconizable file names. All this make swapping out graphics quite a chore.

As for the Treant, I don't have the beta so unless the original models are still in the game somewhere, I won't be able to do much.
Keep at it... don't listen to the whiners... mod work is hard work, but worth it... I am always modding my own games too... It'd be great if you could do something with that hideous Gargoyle! I'd be the first to download it.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 24 May 2006, 21:36

Well all mods come to life because someone is unhappy with what he currently has,so whats wrong with a bit of whining?Besides,we can expect the developers to fulfill all our wishes.I believe that additional buttons,land description and creature special descriptions will more likely be added by fans than the developers.

Paradox
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby Paradox » 24 May 2006, 21:49

I don't understand why people are whining over others making mods? Really.. people have been modding games forever, it's not illegal, as long as the mod doesn't grant you an advantage over another player online (which im pretty sure if any of your game files differ from your opponents, you wont be able to start the game anyway) so theres no need to worry.

Znork
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Znork » 24 May 2006, 21:57

Paradox wrote:I don't understand why people are whining over others making mods? Really.. people have been modding games forever, it's not illegal, as long as the mod doesn't grant you an advantage over another player online (which im pretty sure if any of your game files differ from your opponents, you wont be able to start the game anyway) so theres no need to worry.
They are infact encureging it! That is way its so easy!
Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice!

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 24 May 2006, 22:50

Wolfshanze wrote: It's clear to me too...

:( , I'm not happy unless I complain about modders............the "I like to cry about the mod community" King of all whiners.

etc, etc, etc dontknow dontknow dontknow
ohh, come on, pls, if you see all te thread , all ppl say the typical whining stuff in the pre-launch game, the gargs, the BKs, the treant, and soon will come the others

the problem is that the reason of modding in this game will be mostly to turn in reallity all the dreams of the whiners

i dont have anything against modding, im not saying "dont mod", but really what piss me off is that the reason of modding are the same reasons of complains -as you see in the thread, and actually you say that (the gargs)-, completelly diferent reasons in other games that i have seem and participated in moding, that is basically "well, we are boring" or "what if?" i think that maybe the best mods gona be done by the new gamers in the serie

and is quite obvious when you see that the game even havent been played a lot, and now the ppl want new gargs or treants or knights, etc..

bored guys making mods, well that works

whining guys making mods......who knows, maybe to H community could work?? ;|

and ppl confuse -or like to confuse- whining (thats the reason of that "i hate gargs" "i hate trants", etc..), with just an action of a guy that show you the facts and tell to you....."ohhhhh come on" B-)

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 25 May 2006, 00:02

Actually, making a mod is illegal, technically speaking. It's considered the same as reworking an artist's song and publishing that on the web; we're talking copyright infringement.
Thing is, it is only considered illegal if this is done without the originator's permission or approval, and as far as I can determine, making mods for games is in fact encouraged by the gaming industry, because it doesn't take money out of their pockets. In fact, it makes more people buy the games. Nobody will object to the Equilibris mod, because more people now find the game attractive and go out to acquire it, after which they will put the mod on. Makes perfect sense to everybody. :creative:
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Arstahd
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Arstahd » 25 May 2006, 00:56

chaosgorgon wrote: the problem is that the reason of modding in this game will be mostly to turn in reallity all the dreams of the whiners

i dont have anything against modding, im not saying "dont mod", but really what piss me off is that the reason of modding are the same reasons of complains -as you see in the thread, and actually you say that (the gargs)-, completelly diferent reasons in other games that i have seem and participated in moding, that is basically "well, we are boring" or "what if?" i think that maybe the best mods gona be done by the new gamers in the serie

and is quite obvious when you see that the game even havent been played a lot, and now the ppl want new gargs or treants or knights, etc..

bored guys making mods, well that works

whining guys making mods......who knows, maybe to H community could work?? ;|
Do you want to know the reason why I am modding H5? It's because quite frankly I find the game lacking. There are so many little things "wrong" with the game that I find it tedious. The first night that I installed it I played through the first 2 Haven maps and then shut it off. The second night I started a hotseat game with my wife, quickly lost interest and then ended up reinstalling H3 WoG so that we could play a "fun" game.

Did I bitch and whine on this or any other forum about the deficiencies of H5? No, I proactively went about "fixing" what I felt was less than perfect about this game. If I fix enough things maybe I'll get to the point where I can actually enjoy playing. Feeling that I am not the only one who shares my opinion, I desided to share my effort with the community at large. What has been your contribution chaosgorgon, other than whining that is?

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 25 May 2006, 01:13

can there possibly be anything wrong with modding a game to change the sprites appearance? cause about half of what chaosgorgon is complaining about is gargoyles and treants, i don't think anyones upset by their stats, particularly, more the look ... and if it can be changed ... so what??

as for other mods, i take them on merit

chaosgorgon
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby chaosgorgon » 25 May 2006, 06:57

"cause about half of what chaosgorgon is complaining about is gargoyles and treants"

lol, whos complaining about the treants or the gargs???, not me thats sure ;| , to me both are ok

"to change the sprites appearance?"

yes, yes, there go another one ;|

well, maybe you have your reasons, but really i never have seen such behavior, i mean you take your game, see these treants, then you hate them to death, and then you mod it......, to me was always to have fun get bored, mod it, really, really this community is very special, is the first time where i see such behavior

anyway i gona wait to the "newbies" mods, guess gona be more interesting than these hate-mods ;|

ArchaonOfChaos
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Can't get this to work

Unread postby ArchaonOfChaos » 25 May 2006, 07:07

I have extracted the black knight mod to my heroes 5 data directory, but it has not changed the units, am I missing something? I have downloaded the sound and allied maps mods and they work fine.

I would be grateful if someone could tell me what I need to do to get this working?

Cheers!
-----------------------------------------------------------

The only thing needed for evil to truimph is for good men to do nothing!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Modcrafting Guild”