Homeworld

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Homeworld

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 12 Jun 2006, 14:36

Hiigara, homeworld of the Kushan. And the goal in one of the first space RTS's. I always loved this game, but never did manage to finish #1. Did finish #2 once I got a better graphics card (same for WC3).

Anyone else enjoy either one?
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 12 Jun 2006, 14:45

I played HW2 a bit, great real-time strategy game. I customized the colors and emblems of my spaceships to make a Captain Harlock space-pirate fleet ^^

That makes me think, it would be nice to customize the player emblem that appears on top of castles and mines in Heroes V...

innokenti
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby innokenti » 12 Jun 2006, 14:52

Homeworld, another true classic. THE Space Strategy. #2 was also very good and really did improve on a lot. Alas, the multiplayer needed some mods to increase the variety of craft you could build... that was seriously lacking unfortunately.

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 12 Jun 2006, 15:07

Never played the original,but I did finish the sequel.Its really a magnificent game.

Slaughter
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Slaughter » 12 Jun 2006, 23:08

We had a look at Sword of the Stars at E3. It looks amazing, and should be right down any Homeworld fan's alley. We've added two parts of our interview with the developer here if you're interested.
Greetings from Olav (Staff at StrategyCore.co.uk, Slaughter)

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 13 Jun 2006, 00:13

Over 150 distinct technologies to research on a dynamic tech tree that changes from game to game. While the core technology of the tree is consistent, certain offshoots are random from game to game. There is no perfect path up the tech tree to memorize and exploit, because the path keeps changing!
Now thats something worth looking forward to.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 21 Jun 2006, 14:43

Like I didn't have enough white hairs on my poor head, they are going to implement a changing tech tree.. Wonderful :devil:

Homeworld was a very good game, played the first one but didn't have time to check the second... Its problem was the battles imo, they were too chaotic, even more than real time strategies because of the countless little fighter squadrons scrambling between bigger ships and the difficulty in issuing an order your troops react to... It was very refreshing however, and if a little bit more refined, it could have started a sub-genre of 3-d RTS...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 14:51

cornellian wrote:Homeworld was a very good game, played the first one but didn't have time to check the second... Its problem was the battles imo, they were too chaotic, even more than real time strategies because of the countless little fighter squadrons scrambling between bigger ships and the difficulty in issuing an order your troops react to... It was very refreshing however, and if a little bit more refined, it could have started a sub-genre of 3-d RTS...
The fights are supposed to be chaotic and out of your control.Its realistic.As a general,you just issue orders,but its up to the soldiers how theyll execute them.

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 21 Jun 2006, 17:44

DaemianLucifer wrote: The fights are supposed to be chaotic and out of your control.Its realistic.As a general,you just issue orders,but its up to the soldiers how theyll execute them.
If that was really the case I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't. Some of your ships would comply, some would after 5-10 seconds and some (usually squadrons) wouldn't.. If this was intended and I don't think it was, it could have been something like Seven Kingdoms or SK II (both excellent games), where your troops prioritized their targets themselves.. It was just frustrating to give the same order three times to get it done (and of course the ones that got it the first time was recieving the same order over and over and acting slower than they would and taking fire)...

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 21 Jun 2006, 18:36

cornellian wrote:If that was really the case I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't. Some of your ships would comply, some would after 5-10 seconds and some (usually squadrons) wouldn't.. If this was intended and I don't think it was, it could have been something like Seven Kingdoms or SK II (both excellent games), where your troops prioritized their targets themselves.. It was just frustrating to give the same order three times to get it done (and of course the ones that got it the first time was recieving the same order over and over and acting slower than they would and taking fire)...
But it was intended to be like that(well,at least thats how it was in the second part).Thats why you had to choose the attitude for your ships(agresife,neutral,defensive,avoiding).This isnt noticable when two cruisers fight each other,but it is when two fighter squadrons are fighting.You give them the order to attack the squadron,but they choose which of the fighters to hit on first.
cornellian wrote:Like I didn't have enough white hairs on my poor head, they are going to implement a changing tech tree.. Wonderful :devil:
Btw,your beard looks completely black to me :devil:

cornellian
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby cornellian » 22 Jun 2006, 19:42

DaemianLucifer wrote: Btw,your beard looks completely black to me :devil:
But you see, I don't wear that stupid looking hat for nothing ;)

Infiltrator
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby Infiltrator » 26 Jun 2006, 15:43

I fell in love with HW in the first moment I tried it out. Brilliant game that really shook up the RTS genre when it came out. Finished both Cataclysm and HW2 as well.

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 02 Jul 2006, 00:33

Homeworld was a game I enjoyed greatly. I wasn't able to finish the first one, for lack of time, and because it was Hard, but it was very nice and well-balanced. I played the second one for a short time at a friend's house, after I had time to forget how the camera worked, and was quickly overwhelmed by the new features, so I can't really say that much about it. The rock-paper-scissors mechanic is very well implemented in these games though, and I remember them pleasantly.
Happy Millenium!

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 02 Jul 2006, 00:48

I can clearly recall getting Homeworld 2 on a whim, because frankly, I had too much time on my hands. A rare situation, I could've been doing something useful, but it's far out of my natural behaviour patterns.

So I decided to try it out, without any real idea at all of what it was. I installed it and was instantly slapped in the face by surprise..
It was like I looked for some silver dust among the rocks and found a seam of gold. I enjoyed the campaign thoroughly, even playing it through fully twice, despite it's quite nerve wrecking and stress inducing(The stress would've been worse if I could feel it) moments of tough combat which, despite the high degree of independence your units indeed have, required alot of attention.

Always been somewhat of a defensive player, even in chess(Sitting behind my 'walls' until I found an outmost cherishable opportunity), I even enjoyed skirmishing against the A.I and just plain playing around with it. Also, there's nothing like "diving" down on your enemy.. Oh.. the joy... "diving" or it's opposite.

I spent a weekend playing this game with my brother, I just never get a hang of a game's offensive side. A critical flaw in my playing style. I can't recall winning more than once, but there was one draw. Me holing up like a coward, repelling one wave after another...

Which brings me to one little flaw that I can recall, the lack of variety among your ships. I should probably dig out Homeworld and get me some mods.. and probably finish the first game's campaign, now THAT was hard.. damn ghost ship - I couldn't get past it.

So I feel talkative when tired, sorry. >.>''

LordHoborgXVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby LordHoborgXVII » 02 Jul 2006, 23:18

Ha, yeah ghost ship, that was hard, , don't remember how I got past it, but it was a nice chance to salvage some more capital ships for my army. I got stuck a few missions past it, with the enemy research station next to the supernova. A beautifully structured map, but the enemy fleet is just ridiculously large. If only I still had this game, it was quite enjoyable.
Happy Millenium!

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 03 Jul 2006, 00:44

The biggest pain was most likely the fact I had a majority capital ships, I should've aimed for more smaller crafts.. I can barely recall what tactis I actually put in motion. Should've put up a diversion, then attacked.
This demands that I find it again. Though I doubt it..

Whatever the case, a truly great game.
With an interesting story, none the less.
I never did try the expansion for Homeworld 1..
.. Ah well.
Must say a Homeworld 3 would've been charming..

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 03 Jul 2006, 04:15

SCum wrote: Must say a Homeworld 3 would've been charming..
After this third sequel disapointment,I doubt that.

SCum
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SCum » 03 Jul 2006, 22:04

Well, to be honest.. If they made a third game, it'd be expected they took good things from both games(And expansion) aswell as improve the bad things.. That's what'd be ->sensible<-

But we all know what happens to things sensible.
(Not to mention the many different tastes in what is good or bad)

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 02 Jul 2007, 21:45

Finally started playing again, and it look like i'll be finishing it this time... and i just realized that HW2 had better ship design and unit mix, but all the little things like weapon upgrades and modules took away from the gameplay.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”