Prince of persia

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Humakt
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Prince of persia

Unread postby Humakt » 09 Mar 2007, 18:05

Only thing original PoPs had going for them was how frustratingly difficult they were. I've played lots of better jump-'em up style of games.
PhoenixReborn wrote: I disagree that Ubi ruined it but I can say that these games don't compare that greatly to the originals.

Sands of Time was very very easy compared to the original game. No time limit, and a video that shows you what to do.
So you think new POPs were better if you died at least 20+ times per level or booby trap? And half of them because your time ran out.
Why, in the first level there are some tiles that don't drop out from under you until AFTER you jump off of them...how hard is that?
It is called TUTORIAL.
Thundermaps
"Death must be impartial. I must sever my ties, lest I shield my kin."

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 10 Mar 2007, 13:29

Prince of Persia (1989) - It was a brilliant game at its time. Definite classic, no question.

Prince of Persia 2 - It was graphically nice, but frustratingly hard. Overall, it was a decent game, but nowhere near the original.

Prince of Persia 3D - Haven't played it.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Aw, another classic! A true gem. The atmosphere, the story, the cinematics... everything is great. The only flaw of this game is the unhandy combat system.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - Truly underrated by most. Gameplay-wise it's superior to its predecessor. The story, the cinematics, the combat system are all good. It could have been a classic, but missed the chance with those one-liners, (some of the) sound effects, and a few other things. Despite the one-liners, I did like the voice acting though. Much better than HoMM 5! :devil:

Prince of Persia: The Two Towers - The only thing I really like about this game is the Dark Prince and his dialogues with the Prince. Oh yeah, and that cool daggertail. Other than that, this game is seriously rushed. It felt too short, and the story wasn't satisfactory compared with the previous two games. Although it uses the same engine, the graphics look worse for some weird reason. :| Overall, it's just a SOT wannabe, in my humble opinion.

Best game in the series: The Sands of Time
My favourite game in the series: Warrior Within
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 10 Mar 2007, 14:49

now that i remember, ive played PoP sands of time on a friends mobile. 'twas 2d there.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Re: Prince of persia

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 11 Mar 2007, 01:28

Humakt wrote: So you think new POPs were better if you died at least 20+ times per level or booby trap? And half of them because your time ran out.
I guess this is a personal preference thing. I liked having the overall time limit (original) and didn't like having individual time limits on specific puzzles (new).

So for example, once you knew which way to go, you had plenty of time to execute the tough jumps and if you screwed up there was still leeway. In the newer games I spent lots of time running back and forth, whoops I pulled the lever but I didn't get there fast enough, got to do it again.

@undead king: pop 2's graphics were really awesome at the time, a real step up from pop 1. And also the combat was more difficult and therefore more satisfying.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 12 Mar 2007, 06:21

Wow, after so many replies to my comment, I don't know what to say...
I just want you all to know that I played the first PoP from '89 and it was great then. But what if Ubi doesn't exist, we wouldn't have these reincarnations (did I spelled the underlined word correctly?)
Ubi made a master piece, and I'm sad that there are no more PoP games. ;|
But they are working on Assasin's Creed. :-D

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Mar 2007, 15:19

That should be interesting to play. I also heard the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is supposed to play similarly to the new Prince of Persia games.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 13 Mar 2007, 06:54

Ya, I heard it too. It will use the same engine as PoP. :D

watcher83
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby watcher83 » 12 Apr 2007, 20:45

Prince of Persia The two thrones is one of the best games ever
Where exactly does the rainbow end?

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 12 Apr 2007, 23:30

I've never played any PoP game and I don't plan to either (Platformers was something you played on old consoles like NES, SNES and N64).

Saw the new TMNT game on a friends place. Console kiddy game. Then again my friend like those clickclickclickclickclick games which doesn't require much brainpower.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 12 Apr 2007, 23:44

Apparently there is zero challange in it, so it's nothing like Prince of Persia.
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 13 Apr 2007, 05:24

Yep, I bought it and boooring. Is a PoP engine, but it's a f****ing kiddy game! :(

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 17 Apr 2007, 14:12

Ubi is working on a new PoP game for next-gen consoles and probably PC too. According to rumours (and strangely enough), it's subtitle is apparently Ghost of the Past (yep, just like the mod for HoMM5, minus the plural)

We don't know much about it so far, except that the setting will be less dark and more like Sands of Time / Arabian Nights stories and there will be less combat. The prince will have a magic gauntlet. Oh, and a new love interest too... I have a hunch it is because this new Prince will not be the same Prince as the one featured in the Sands of Time trilogy, who was in turn not the same prince as the one featured in the original two games + 3D.

There are a few artworks there :

http://www.xbox-360.fr/news/visunews-xb ... a-4__.html

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 18 Apr 2007, 05:50

Thanks, I really hope there will be another PoP game :D

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 18 Apr 2007, 16:37

Speaking of PoP: MOVIE!
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

vhilhu
Druid
Druid

Unread postby vhilhu » 18 Apr 2007, 17:56

YAY movies based on VIDEO GAMES are ALWAYS SO FUN!! they, like, really rule! woo hoo! :tsup: :oex: :jester: :oex: :jester: :oex: :tsup:

(well, Silent Hill movie was different, but exceptions prove the rule)

danijel1990
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby danijel1990 » 19 Apr 2007, 06:52

I can't see the movie, probably because of my stupid dial-up connection :(

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”