Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Pol
Admin
Admin

GLSMAC - Alpha Centauri Implementation

Unread postby Pol » 25 Sep 2023, 21:16

https://github.com/afwbkbc/glsmac

Unofficial open-source OpenGL/SDL2 reimplementation of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri ( + Alien Crossfire ). This game requires a base files from original Alpha Centauri

GLSMAC discord : https://discord.gg/fWG3xK7cUx

Why?
SMAC was a great game, possibly the best in 4x genre, but it's outdated so much it barely runs on modern systems. Especially multiplayer (which is based on ancient directplay).

What will be same between GLSMAC and original game?
Models, images, movies, texts, lore, factions, game rules (such as tech trees, types of armor/weapons etc), UI

What will be completely different?
Graphics engine, network code are fully rewritten to allow it run as smoothly as possible.

What may differ slightly?
Random maps generation, AI, dynamic music, some UI parts. While I'll try to get them as close as possible to original logic, they will still be recreated from scratch.

Compatibility?
Network won't be compatible to original client (so you can't play together with somebody running it).

Maybe I'll make saves and maps compatible, but it's very low priority.

Mod compatibility - it should work with asset mods that replace .PCX, .WAV or other asset files in SMAC directory (later it will also accept upscaled versions). It won't work with mods that modify or link to terranx.exe. Mods that change .txt files - probably not, maybe some settings and rules will be read from original SMAC's .txt but not all of them.

Other improvements?
Once I replicate original game, I'll focus on other things, such as: larger maps, larger maximum number of players, custom mod support, online services such as game browser or hosting long-turns games (where people can login and make 1 turn per day or so), alternative art packs (used instead of original, this may mean better graphics)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”