Civ IV

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics
Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 15 Feb 2007, 20:32

Does anyone know much about the mechanics of difficulty levels in Civ4? Becuse the middle two dificulties, Noble and Prince, seem to offer vastly different challenges, up to a point where I on Noble find myself supreme overlord of the planet in most cases, where I on Prince find that I am last or second to last most every time. But looking at the numbers, the AI's advantage goes up only slightly from Noble to Prince.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 15 Feb 2007, 21:19

Rather silly, that. Thinking: "Hey, this Noble thing is too easy, better step it up a notch" only to find that after some time on Prince the comment changes to: "Oh, Jeezus, I'm f***ed!!" :|
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 15 Feb 2007, 21:57

The only details I know are those you get if you hover the mouse cursor over the difficulty levels in the selection screen.
"Not all those who wander are lost." -- JRRT

Ethric
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Ethric » 16 Feb 2007, 11:59

Main things about the AI is that it gets way lower cost to maintain it's empire and upgrade troops, and it gets humongous bonuses vs barbarians. Other than that, on Noble it's fairly equal ground, on Prince it shifts slightly to it's favour with bonuses/handicaps in research, production etc. But the bonuses I mentioned initially are present at all difficultylevels, seems the AI is really rather poor and needed all those buffs to keep up. You find this info in one of the xml files, one called handicapinfo or somesuch.
Who the hell locks these things?
- Duke

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 17 Feb 2007, 20:48

FfH 2 FIRE is out! Save or destroy the world! :devil: :angel:

You can also dance with the gorillas in case you're bored. :D

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 23 Feb 2007, 07:48

Here ya go:

Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 29 Mar 2007, 13:32

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 29 Mar 2007, 13:53

Eeeexcellent.... I'll be sure to update our marketplace once the game is made ready for pre-order.
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

asandir
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby asandir » 02 Apr 2007, 07:40

hmmmm, might have to look for warlords then
Human madness is the howl of a child with a shattered heart.

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 05 May 2007, 02:10

Some info and links in the news from Civ Fan Center:

Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword expansion pack is coming out in just 60 days! GameSpot and EBgames both list July 2, 2007 as the release date, while on Amazon.com it's July 10, 2007. The listed price for the expansion is $29.99. Amazon.com and EBgames are already taking pre-orders.

Beyond the Sword is the second expansion pack for Civ4. So far not much is known about it other than the info released in the announcement and the two developer articles.

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_bts_afterworld.php
http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_bts_concept.php
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 08 May 2007, 00:38

OMG! Paratroopers are back! OMG! YES!!! :oex:

Source:
http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/civi ... rview.html

Oops! They have taken down the interview from the site. :(

For those who missed the chance to read the interview:
Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword Interview

Strategy Informer: Firstly could you introduce yourself to our readers and let us know your role within the Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword production?

Alex Mantzaris: Alex Mantzaris, lead programmer and lead designer for Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword.

Strategy Informer: Could you tell us what Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword is about?

Alex Mantzaris: The title “Beyond the Sword” has sort of a double meaning. On one hand it suggests that we are giving more depth to the second half of the game, when swords are obsolete as a weapon for combat. On the other hand, it implies that players will have more options then ever when it comes to building up their empire through peaceful means.

Strategy Informer: We've been interested in the random events feature that will be included in Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword, could you tell us a bit more about this?

Alex Mantzaris: Random events are all about giving Civilization 4 even more historical flavor and immersion, and providing new ways to interact with the world. There are large numbers of events that don’t all occur in every game, so each game feels unique. Some events simply ask the player how to deal with a situation that has arisen, but other events are quite intricate, sending the player on quests in order to receive some reward, for example.

Strategy Informer: Is Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword going to have any changes to the graphical features?

Alex Mantzaris: We are continuously striving to improve the game, and in this expansion the graphics will be more polished than ever. In addition, some of the new features have given us the opportunity to have fun with the graphics. For example, the look of the game has been completely transformed for some of the scenarios. Also, the space race has received some major attention, allowing you to customize your 3D spaceship before you send it off to Alpha Centauri.

Strategy Informer: This expansion will of course feature new units, wonders and leaders. Could you tell us about some of these new additions and what their roles will be?

Alex Mantzaris: My favorite new Wonder is the Apostolic Palace. This Wonder allows you to leverage your diplomatic standing to manipulate the world like never before. Build it and civilizations sharing your religion can vote on resolutions you put forth, like stopping and starting wars, enforcing trade embargos, or even assigning cities to their “rightful” owner! One of my favorite leaders is Queen Boudica of the Celts. Not only was she impressive in real life (she almost kicked the mighty Romans out of Britain), but in terms of gameplay her charismatic and aggressive traits have an awesome synergy. In terms of units, the coolness factor of Privateers and Paratroopers has finally returned to Civilization, only this time the AI knows how to use them. Beware!

Strategy Informer: Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword is going to feature ten new civilizations, will they all have single player campaigns or just a few of them?

Alex Mantzaris: Actually, none of our scenarios are single-player campaigns for a featured civilization. On the contrary, some of the scenarios are about as far as you can get from a typical game of Civilization! We decided to let the creativity of our scenario designers run loose, and that has definitely paid off. You can buy full games that don’t have the replay value and depth offered by just one of these scenarios.

Strategy Informer: On the subject of campaigns, could you tell us a bit about these campaigns and what they’ll feature?

Alex Mantzaris: More than just “Campaigns,” the mods we are including with the game are more like games in their own right because they have a very high replay value. They range from fantasy to hardcore WWII simulations and range in time from the Renaissance to centuries into the future. Some are played on random maps, while others are played on heavily researched historical maps.

Strategy Informer: What about the multiplayer side to the game? Will this have any new modes or options to give new challenges to the players?

Alex Mantzaris: One option that I think will prove popular in multiplayer is the ability to select any leader-civilization combination. Not only is there something fascinating about using Gandhi to lead your Mongol Keshiks into battle (!), but with this new option Civilizations and leaders that were previously unpopular in multiplayer will receive new attention. Another feature that may revitalize the traditional sequential turn play mode (as opposed to simultaneous turns, which seems to be more popular in multiplayer) is the fact that now all players on the same team take their turns simultaneously. That way you can combine fast online play with traditional game mechanics.

Strategy Informer: Can you give us an assessment of the long-term viability for Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword?

Alex Mantzaris: With new elements like Corporations, Espionage, and an expanded late-game, Beyond the Sword gives players more ways to play and more things to do, hence increasing its replayability. There are still many people out there enjoying Civilization II, and from all indications, Civilization IV and its expansion packs will have at least a comparable longevity.

Strategy Informer: The Civilization series has always been heavily modded by fans, will you be releasing anything new to aid them in creating additional content for this expansion pack?

Alex Mantzaris: We have gone to great lengths to further improve the moddability of the game. We have exposed more game mechanics to XML and Python, making it possible to do things that you couldn’t previously do with just Civ4. For example, you can now completely alter the look of the interface, and in fact we have done just that in a couple of our own scenarios. However, I think that a modder favorite is going to be a simple change we made that gives the ability to have civilization-specific graphics for the same unit.

Strategy Informer: As a gamer, what's your favorite part of Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword, what makes you proud to have helped create it and why is it a game people will want?

Alex Mantzaris: As a long-time fan, Beyond the Sword in my mind represents the ultimate Civilization game. Not only have we added all these cool new features, but we have improved on the existing features as well. Thanks to our fans, we knew the shortcomings of the game and we have worked hard to address them. My personal favorite has to be the fact that the AI has now been transformed into a formidable opponent who no longer needs hefty bonuses to compete with a smart human.

Strategy Informer: It's early days for Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword right now but has the team decided anything on a demo? Do you think it’s likely or not that this will happen?

Alex Mantzaris: Yes, we will be releasing a couple of demos, showcasing two of our scenarios!

Strategy Informer: What's the current release date for Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword?

Alex Mantzaris: Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword will be in stores in July 2007.

Strategy Informer: How long has the team been working on Civilization IV: Beyond The Sword and what’s been the hardest challenge so far, development wise?

Alex Mantzaris: We have been working on it since the release of Warlords last summer. Even though this expansion has the most content ever for a Civilization game, in my opinion the hardest part was to decide what great ideas to leave out.

Strategy Informer: We've come to our last question, is there anything you'd like to say to the fans of Civilization IV which are eagerly awaiting the release of this expansion pack?

Alex Mantzaris: One word: Patience! I have been in your shoes and I know what it’s like to eagerly anticipate a new expansion pack for Civilization. Trust me, it’s definitely going to be worth the wait!
[/quote]
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 09 May 2007, 18:40

Beyond the Sword will feature improved AI. Now its about time :)

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 13 May 2007, 12:40

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 May 2007, 05:09

Note there is now a version of Fall From Heaven that runs on Warlords 2.1. It's called Realm of Fantasy.

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 20 May 2007, 10:31

New Civ 4: BTS interview on IGN

New Units: Cuirassiers, Anti-Tank Gun, Paratroopers

New Leaders: Joao II (Portugal), Pacal the Great (Maya), Sitting Bull (Sioux)

New Wonders: The Statue of Zeus, the Mausoleum of Maussollos, the Cristo Redentor, the Shwedagon Paya, and the Apostolic Palace.
"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free..." - Michelangelo

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 28 May 2007, 02:39

Bunch of modpacks updated for Warlords 2.1. Rhyse and Fall, Amra, and Gold all have great new versions. I'm playing Amra 2.10 as Pirates (one of 40 new Civs).

TheUndeadKing
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby TheUndeadKing » 30 May 2007, 13:28

Good news, guys! The mods Fall from Heaven and Rhye's and Fall of Civilization will be included in the Beyond the Sword expansion pack! :)

http://www.civfanatics.com/

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 May 2007, 04:46

Fall From Heaven is harder than hell. Farms don't make food. Mines don't make hammers. My people are starving.

theLuckyDragon
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby theLuckyDragon » 14 Jun 2007, 07:15

I saw you over at Civfanatics in the FfH subforum ;)

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 14 Jun 2007, 23:15

theLuckyDragon wrote:I saw you over at Civfanatics in the FfH subforum ;)
That was my evil twin. He's got that Civ 4 CD locked into my drive and won't let me play Heroes. Oh. He says to ask you what civilization/leader you like to play.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”