NetHack, it sounds familiar?

Because we play other games too.
Best Deals, MoM, Fanstratics

Do you will play such game in addtion to your traditional M&M and Homm fun?

Yes, I'm enjoying them.
22%
It's time dependant but generally... Yes.
33%
But not NetHack. I'm more likely leaning to Battle of Wesnoth, Project Offset, Plane Shift or...
6%
No, from my own reasons....
17%
No, but I give it a try....
22%

Total votes: 18

Pol
Admin
Admin

NetHack, it sounds familiar?

Unread postby Pol » 09 Apr 2006, 10:49

First - this is classic freeware RPG.
Second - which means tremendously hard and intricated one.
. . . . . . . . ** ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ **
What about is going here?
Well, you are in searching for the ulitmate artifact :hoo: , you shall pick your role (from Archeologist to Wizard), get armed with your pet and explore... what makes this game so unique is that is tremendously intricated, allowing almost everything from good RPG D&D world, with bonus possibilty to die very easily even if you are playing on explore mode so you are virtually immortal.

See here:
Downloads, Manual

Now is time to cast your vote ;)

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 09 Apr 2006, 11:11

Shouldn't NetHack have "characterbased graphics" i.e you play an "@" that explores?

Anyway, I voted that play other such games. Which one should be blatantly obvious for everyone that has bought basic Perception...
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Apr 2006, 11:22

Gaidal Cain wrote:Shouldn't NetHack have "characterbased graphics" i.e you play an "@" that explores?
Yes, original NetHack still exists, but now you have more variations to choose from, usually NetHack Vulture or "Smack" Hack are the best (and only) :D I'm asking because I had notice nethack-vulture in my Fedora Core 5 distro rpm's and before it was never been here. That's very pleasant change, now I'm missing only solid 3D Chess :devious:
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Xenofex.XVII
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Xenofex.XVII » 09 Apr 2006, 18:07

Have no time :disagree:
I haven't even finished Morrowind, MM1-6, and Age of Empires - the rise of Rome yet.

Maybe in year 2012 :devil:
It is time to stop believing and start understanding. - Rael

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 10 Apr 2006, 00:51

Voted the second(if I ever get internet instaled at home,that is).Although,Im still going through avernum series,and it is very time consuming.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 10 Apr 2006, 02:55

Could you please explain - what is it, exactly?
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

Pol
Admin
Admin

wiki

Unread postby Pol » 10 Apr 2006, 08:04

NetHack x Avernum

If I'm on track... ;)

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 10 Apr 2006, 16:34

Someone needs to make a 3-D, text-based nethack!

What I mean is have a full 3-d world, but all the items and creaturs are ASCII characters, fully rendered in 3-D. Thus, you are followed around by a lower-case d or f, food rations are % signs, and so on. :jester:

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 15 Apr 2006, 02:14

I tried claw and frankly I like the character mode better. The 3D view makes it hard to see the corridors and really adds nothing to the game. The only thing I really liked was the little icon that tells me my pet's mood.

Cheers,
Caradoc
(Killed by a shopkeeper on level 2)
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 13 May 2006, 17:07

Nethack is a great rogue-like game. I enjoy it but not so much as other rpgs. But, Nethach is the huge example that shows us that creating a good pc game is not about money or marketing, because it is made by ppl who love gaming and gave it free to everyone! Probaply Nethack is one of the best freeware games until now, and the freeware gaming is smth. that we must all suport.
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 13 May 2006, 20:01

Caradoc wrote:I tried claw and frankly I like the character mode better. The 3D view makes it hard to see the corridors and really adds nothing to the game. The only thing I really liked was the little icon that tells me my pet's mood.

Cheers,
Caradoc
(Killed by a shopkeeper on level 2)
I tried vulture :) , what really can help is to set semi-transparent walls on . Loving the graphics, which however cannot change the fact that plain version of NetHack is faster and easier to get oriented with.

Yup. NetHack stories are fun, here is more like your one. Be aware - Never get your @ to be caught :D

WBR,
Pol
(from lvl 26 playing in explore-immortal mode, still alive... right now by second year)
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 16 May 2006, 17:04

My great contribution to the game is my foolproof method for robbing shops by using a rock and a cursed scroll of Create Monster. You pick up everything in the shop and then throw a rock at the Shopkeeper to make him attack. Before he can reach you, read the scroll, which will fill the room with acid blobs. Then chop your path out through the blobs, making sure to leave the shopkeeper pinned in.
Before you criticize someone, first walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 04 Jul 2006, 16:08

I had got into the shop and from by destroying all around with little help of some divine powers, drowning the shopkeeper into water hole which appearently wasn't here before. And steal something from him with help of my badly trained pet. Time spendy, but easy to use even from the lowest levels. Easy way how to kill shopkeeper is to transform him into something silly, with appropiate wand and then kick him out.

* I dislike vampires (level stealers) and mind eaters though, or death touch.

* I love lucky stone, and I feel exact the opposite to the load stones.

What I can say more?

Oh, yes. Here is still old good NetHack, avaliable also with 32x32 tiles or the text mode simulating tiles and some other experimentals. It's faster, and still da best. (For exact addresses ask Google, something like NetHack tiles 32, or tiles generally should do it)

Keep Nethacking :D
"We made it!"

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 07 Jul 2006, 17:57

Pol wrote:I had got into the shop and from by destroying all around with little help of some divine powers, drowning the shopkeeper into water hole which appearently wasn't here before. And steal something from him with help of my badly trained pet. Time spendy, but easy to use even from the lowest levels. Easy way how to kill shopkeeper is to transform him into something silly, with appropiate wand and then kick him out.

* I dislike vampires (level stealers) and mind eaters though, or death touch.

* I love lucky stone, and I feel exact the opposite to the load stones.

What I can say more?

Oh, yes. Here is still old good NetHack, avaliable also with 32x32 tiles or the text mode simulating tiles and some other experimentals. It's faster, and still da best. (For exact addresses ask Google, something like NetHack tiles 32, or tiles generally should do it)

Keep Nethacking :D
The level stealers are your best friends. When you lose a level, you are only one kill away from getting it back. But when you lose a level, it takes a random number of HP, and when you get it back, all your Constitution bonuses apply, so you will gain HP on the exchange. Do this enough and you will be Superman.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 09 Jul 2006, 16:03

Ah, cool way how to use one vampire. :tsup: Though I remember them on the highest levels in a groups with liches, ghosts, dragons and demons. They can put very lots of effort to not to allow you too.... morphing can help a little, but only a little better. Poitions mixing probably too.... ;)

Unfortunately cheating in Sobokan, game in game, will bring you bad luck, I never met the Rodney :( ** But I hope that once some game will integrate NetHack, MoM & HoMM at least with Stardock GCII. AI to deliver more than quite interesting product :hoo:
"We made it!"

Caradoc
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Caradoc » 31 Aug 2006, 05:11

Wraiths are the best, since when you eat them you gain a level.

PhoenixReborn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby PhoenixReborn » 04 Sep 2006, 02:51

Nethack brings back some good dungeon crawling memories. Ah, back when games were hard. I never did get very far though.

Does anyone remember another game that was also ascii based but had more of a fallout-type setting? I remember fire ants as red A's and a blue E for Elvis. I'd love to find that one again.

Return to “Hall of the Heretics”