AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Crossroad in the Void

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 23 Oct 2020, 16:36

Well, not actually screenshots, but videos at my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4SJQ ... Idj35l-MVQ
Explanation.
Developing old-school party first-person crpg. There are several videos with progress.
Well, without screenshots it ll be off-topic, I guess, so, there are some:

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Re: Crossroad in the Void

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2020, 01:17

Hello, Alex. :wave:

Are you doing this alone?

I am not sure of your intention regarding items, but I kinda like the sketch-like idea. Including icons of apparently buffs (turns out icons are for the turn-based mechanics?). Although I think, at least items, sketches are basically for reference. Or are they? :)

I got a bit confused on how things worked, specially in battle at that last video, as I don't know your language, could not read things. But all in all, got me interested. :D Hopefully, you'll keep going on with it.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 28 Oct 2020, 07:14

Hello, Panda Tar.
Are you doing this alone?
All code is mine. Gamemechanics. Storyline… Well, planning to write it after NY myself too.
There was a 3d modeller, but he has left the project, cause he dislike the engine possibilities and current picture's quality. Almost all landscapes and most of the mobs shown in clips were made by him (mobs, made by me, you can watch at first screenshot — feel the difference).
I am not sure of your intention regarding items, but I kinda like the sketch-like idea.
The idea was simple: to make draft placeholders quickly. ATM there are about 700 id-s in item list. Without at list two variants of craft (3 made already), quest and unique items.
Although I think, at least items, sketches are basically for reference.
Well, yes. I'm looking for 3d-modellers and 2d-artists — all mechanic ll be less or more finished at january 21. But I need to continue my work even without them, so I use placeholders where it possible.
I got a bit confused on how things worked, specially in battle at that last video
This is recovery time based mechanic. If you was confused by some specific moment — write about it, I'll see what to do.
as I don't know your language
The project has mechanism for using different languages, but englisg section usually has now text atm. Need more time for all of this. The funny thing: basically without translation it's english. I mean something like this:

Code: Select all

healing = {english = "Healing", russian = "Лечение"},
Last edited by AlexYeCu on 10 Nov 2020, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2020, 17:07

This is recovery time based mechanic. If you was confused by some specific moment — write about it, I'll see what to do.
In the last video, you seem to have engaged battle at distance. So, while you attacked with arrows, the enemies did not move. They kept gathered and I was not understanding the turns or the recovery time. Or the book of spells. But, as you said, you are using placeholders for that as well, it seems. Just the targeting of enemies and their lack of reaction. So I was wondering if you were just showing how ranged mechanics and spells worked.
"There’s nothing to fear but fear itself and maybe some mild to moderate jellification of bones." Cave Johnson, Portal 2. :panda:

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 28 Oct 2020, 17:40

Ok, do you know how recovery time works?
In the beginning of the battle all mobs get some rt according to their speed. The fastest gets full recovery and can make his turn. After turn he looses some recovery (depends on type of action) and can not get turn until regeneration of full recovery. All other mobs regenerate recovery until one of them restores full recovery and get turn. In the video robbers are the slowest mobs, so rats, ranger and multipeds get their turns before robbers. There are 3 unfriendly fractions (and party!) so they attack each other and not party (which stays far enough and close to slowest group of mobs, who can restore full recovery after party). Before robbers get their turn at least, party member casts «treason» to one of them, the target changes his fraction and his ex-allies attacks him not party (he is closer).
Last edited by AlexYeCu on 28 Oct 2020, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Panda Tar
Forum Mascot
Forum Mascot

Unread postby Panda Tar » 28 Oct 2020, 17:50

Ah, so they are not moving towards the party because they are attacking themselves, and being lured the other way. That's what I was getting confused, and made me not notice their turn/recovery. The recovery time is a similar mechanic of something like Final Fantasy Tactics. In that game, I think it was called 'atb'. Faster units could act more than once time before enemies, spells had charging time, etc. Is there a maximum cap for speed in your battle system?

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 28 Oct 2020, 18:33

Faster units could act more than once time before enemies, spells had charging time, etc.
Well, yes. But there is no global end-turn event in my mechanic, only personal for every mob. So, faster mob can get turn more often than slower one.
Another important thing is the type of the action. Simple hits cost less recovery than powered ones, simple spells — than complicated ones, heavy armor adds penalty and so on.
Is there a maximum cap for speed in your battle system?
Speed is a stat, atm all stats has 100 as cap.

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 18 May 2021, 18:23

Big creatures (one perc cell, not nine like normal ones):
Well, you should know these guys… Temporary mobs, made by me more than 10 years ago for one abandoned project:
Stealing and thievery:
https://youtu.be/ei9B01BBGIM

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 08 Aug 2021, 15:43

Game engine switched to Unity:

Image Image Image Image Image

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_u_dtRm9k
Last edited by AlexYeCu on 08 Aug 2021, 15:47, edited 2 times in total.

AlexYeCu
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby AlexYeCu » 01 Jul 2022, 09:39

Video (well, not fresh but anyway):

And a picture:

Return to “Screenshots”