Deconstructed, Part 3

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Heroes V Deconstructed (3)

Unread postby Elvin » 30 May 2007, 01:39

'All of her actions make perfect sense when you consider that the Demon Sovereign had tainted her at birth. Deep-seated needs for authority and destruction seem perfectly in line with somebody who was to be a fit mother for the Sovereign's child.'

I hadn't thought of that. Her being too trusting and naive made me think she was just clueless. In any case she seems more calm in hof which suggests that the taint had gone away.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Campaigner
Vampire
Vampire

Unread postby Campaigner » 30 May 2007, 04:41

Funny that you doesn't mention that you have NO way of knowing what's a requirement for what unless you see the skillwheel or something simpler.

Since I like to read I quite liked HIVs stories but having to trudge through a broken game to read the next piece of story...? Nah!

I think I like Heroes IIs story the best. All those cutscenes with the music and the campaign map selection screen with its music really made you feel like Archibalds/Rolands general.

Saturas
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Saturas » 30 May 2007, 10:10

@PhoenixReborn

What I'm mostly referring to is the fact that you have no control over what statistics your hero will get. For example, I can try to make a necromancer a might-oriented hero all I want, but if he gets spell power and knowledge boosts on every level-up, how effective a might hero is he really going to be? I don't think the faction I choose should dictate what style of play I pursue. That's very limiting, IMO.

I agree.Without coresponding atributes it is useless to go for some skills that are not favourite for the faction. Maybe the example War machines-Sylvan wasn't appropriate, but also there is something that we have in RPG-s, say "I'm not going to be clear might or magic hero but I will be both in the same time". Yes but your might skills will not be that strong if you take magic skills as well. My point is that you can reach some mediocre proficiency if you take magic skills and you are a might hero, but mediocre is not what you should go for. It is quite hard to make completely useless hero.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 May 2007, 11:20

Seriously C, i don't really like H4, i mostly defend it because H5 sucks so much.

And i'm starting to see you guys problem, you enjoy characters instead of story.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Kaboth
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Kaboth » 30 May 2007, 11:43

For me HoMMV is the best Heroes game. I miss my old Heroes III characters but HOMMV has the best graphics, skill system, towns, story and creatures IMO.

The camera controls bug me at times and the music tends to be too repetitive and not as memorable as Heroes III for me but yeah V was a very worthy follow up for me. I don't know if there will ever be a Heroes VI but I'm content with V.

Silence
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Silence » 30 May 2007, 12:48

Corribus wrote: So I find it hard to believe anyone who can seriously tell me they think the H4 story was great .
Not the story, but some of the stories in case of H4.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Re: Heroes V Deconstructed (3)

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 30 May 2007, 14:25

Kaboth wrote:"towns, story and creatures IMO."

Don't worry, for #6 they'd do one better, and have all factions made up of color-coded humans with different types of ears, all the towns will look like one building with walls and for the story they'll just have the heroes wave frantically at each other across an epic 20 levels for each town.
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 30 May 2007, 16:00

Now you've gone and jinxed it Titan!
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 30 May 2007, 18:11

Bandobras Took wrote: Well written characters? Please. Elwin and Shaera was far cornier and cliched than anything that ever came out of Isabel's mouth.
Thats probably because Isabel is too plain even for cliche. Agree with TT: this type of characters can be done by anyone from junior school in amount 3 items per hour.
Last edited by MistWeaver on 30 May 2007, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pol
Admin
Admin

Unread postby Pol » 30 May 2007, 18:15

...this type of characters can be done by anyone from junior school in amount 3 items per hour.
This is not the hard part, hard part is to be payed for.
"We made it!"
The Archives | Collection of H3&WoG files | Older albeit still useful | CH Downloads
PC Specs: A10-7850K, FM2A88X+K, 16GB-1600, SSD-MLC-G3, 1TB-HDD-G3, MAYA44, SP10 500W Be Quiet

loran16
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby loran16 » 31 May 2007, 13:58

Seriously....who cares about the story? I like to know WHY I'm doing a certain mission, but besides that, HoMaM has always been about the gameplay.

And Titan, what the hell is your issue with H5? The gameplay follows the same route as H3, which is universally acknowledged as the best of the first 4, so what's your deal?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 31 May 2007, 14:04

I don't see why a strategy game should not be considered a proper storytelling device. The plot can't live without gameplay, but that doesn't mean the story should be an afterthought.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 31 May 2007, 14:09

@AS

In singleplayer, this certainly is true. Since the campaigns are single-player mode, the story should at least make sense and be interesting. Most of the HoMM games have succeeded at least minimally on both counts, but not much beyond that, sadly.
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 31 May 2007, 15:41

loran16 wrote:"And Titan, what the hell is your issue with H5? The gameplay follows the same route as H3"
But without half the interesting stuff. If the mood strikes me i'll just play 3 or 2, at least there the stuff i don't like about the gameplay is offset by everything else.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 31 May 2007, 16:12

loran16 wrote:And Titan, what the hell is your issue with H5? The gameplay follows the same route as H3, which is universally acknowledged as the best of the first 4, so what's your deal?
Well, I can't speak for TT … but for myself, I find Heroes 5 interface clumsy, the graphics & those horrid cut-scenes annoying, the Editor worthless, and playing Heroes 5 is no where near the fun of Heroes 3 or 4!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Ethermancer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ethermancer » 31 May 2007, 16:24

"...the Editor worthless..."

Hear, hear!
Would you kindly pick up that short-wave radio?

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 01 Jun 2007, 15:13

I like HOMM5 the best overall so far. I like 3-D and the camera control to make optimum use of it becomes second nature by the time you finish three maps. I love the editor, sorry fellows. It took me a couple of weeks to learn the scripting language, but now I can make the most fantastic terrain of any HOMM ever; I can make mountains jump through hoops; and I can grant custom behavior to just about any object on the map. To me, none of the HOMM stories were great literature and neither are the ones in HOMM5. But, like grade B movies, they were okay if you suspended critical judgment.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Jun 2007, 16:39

rdeford wrote:… I love the editor, sorry fellows. It took me a couple of weeks to learn the scripting language …
That's the whole point. You have to know computer programming to use the editor. It's NOT user friendly, especially if someone is a lowly end-user like myself. I find it ironic that the Heroes 4 editor is so far superior than the Heroes 5 editor.

If someone is a 'programming genius' they can use the Heroes 4 editor to script extremely complicated maps & quests … but the ordinary person can also use the Heroes 4 editor without having to take weeks to learn the language. Not so with the Heroes 5 editor.

Nival showed extreme lack of respect to the majority of Heroes fans by deliberately making the Heroes 5 editor so difficult to use!
…………………Image …………………

Corribus
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby Corribus » 01 Jun 2007, 16:51

@HP

Such anger... disrespect is not the right word. Lack of foresight, or an inability to understand how important the editor is to the success of the game. As I said (in the next edition) I have not yet tried the editor so I cannot assess its user-friendliness first hand. But if it requires as much study as has been indicated by many of you, then clearly the developers do not appreciate how the mapmakers are so vital to sustaining interest in the game. I, for one, have no interest in spending weeks trying to tease out the way to do simple things in the map editor. I'd go back and continue my H3 creations before I did that, something I should do anyway...
"What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?" - Richard P. Feynman

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 01 Jun 2007, 20:18

Corribus wrote:@HP

Such anger... disrespect is not the right word. Lack of foresight, or an inability to understand how important the editor is to the success of the game. As I said (in the next edition) I have not yet tried the editor so I cannot assess its user-friendliness first hand. But if it requires as much study as has been indicated by many of you, then clearly the developers do not appreciate how the mapmakers are so vital to sustaining interest in the game. I, for one, have no interest in spending weeks trying to tease out the way to do simple things in the map editor. I'd go back and continue my H3 creations before I did that, something I should do anyway...
Dancing 'mad smilies' denotes "such anger" to you?!? Well, I guess I am pissed enough about the editor to not want to buy any other product make by Nival … but I have to disagree … Nival has shown its disrespect in other ways besides the editor. Anyhow, I guess it's too late to do anything about fixing the editor; so as far as I'm concerned, at this point in time, Heroes 5 holds last place among all my Heroes games.

I'm happy to read that you may continue making Heroes 3 maps. Some people are still creating maps and campaigns for Heroes 4 too; I wish & hope more will.

Return to “Articles”