Mailbox: Eric Newman and Heroes V

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
jeff

Re: Mailbox: Eric Newman and Heroes V

Unread postby jeff » 08 Aug 2007, 17:36

Orfinn wrote:Finally a person from the good ol' NWC who also see that H5 is a worthy and great game addition to the franchise :)
First he did not use the word great in his post, but he is obviously happy with H-V. I and many others are tolerant but not overly impressed with H-V other than its graphics. I could not put my finger on it until I started replaying MM6 recently. Suddenly I lost 2 days in an eyes blink, and that happen when I played H-IV the first time, but it has never happened with H-V. I thought I was just getting old, but it’s really the fact H-V is not that engaging. Here's to hoping Tribes does better.
Mala Ipsa Nova :bugsquash:

Sir Charles
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Sir Charles » 08 Aug 2007, 17:58

Vlaad II wrote:>The other thing would be the cinematics, its something we prided ourselves on at NWC for a time.

What is he talking about? LOL
The NWC cinematics were excellent. The sole exception to that was H4, but that was after 3do instituted the massive budget cuts. Go back and look at the h3 (and earlier) cutscenes....they're quite good. Short, yes...but high quality (considering the time they were made).
Calvin: "Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely pointless."

Elvin
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Elvin » 08 Aug 2007, 18:15

H4 had only that excellent intro. Too bad we did not get more.
I, for one, am dying to find out what colour they paint Michael's toenails.
- Metathron

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 08 Aug 2007, 18:46

The narrated introductions (with static pictures) helped to get into the atmosphere, but the Heroes V cutscenes are much more spectacular, for better and for worse.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

rdeford
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby rdeford » 08 Aug 2007, 18:56

I'm happy with H5 and I'm not an artist.

And, I too think H5 is a very worthy addition to the series. I found it very engaging, especially the deep, somewhat arcane hero advancement system. It added another dimension to the strategy that I felt was missing from HOMM2, 3, and sometimes 4.
rdeford, Mage Of Soquim

“Forgiving and being forgiven, loving and being loved,
living and letting live, is the simple basis for it all."

Ernest Holmes 1984

Ethermancer
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Ethermancer » 08 Aug 2007, 19:29

"The NWC cinematics were excellent. The sole exception to that was H4, but that was after 3do instituted the massive budget cuts. Go back and look at the h3 (and earlier) cutscenes....they're quite good. Short, yes...but high quality (considering the time they were made)."

I think you can count the environment work in Might and Magic -- i.e., the interior shots of buildings and the "intro" view before entering dungeons -- in the same camp. They were rendered and animated with the same programs as the full-fledged cutscenes. And they always looked good, too -- good enough that they still garnered praise when the series started to slouch graphically (say, by MM8).

I bring those up because former NWC artists tend to feature them prominently in their portfolios. So yes, something to be proud of.
Would you kindly pick up that short-wave radio?

Wraith
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wraith » 09 Aug 2007, 09:26

weird... but i want see too some peoples in town screen.that could be fun

Qurqirish Dragon
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Qurqirish Dragon » 09 Aug 2007, 14:49

Wraith wrote:weird... but i want see too some peoples in town screen.that could be fun
Yeah, just like in heroes 1 :)
I still like the sprite sitting on the ledge of the treehouse, her legs swinging under it. And the dragon smiling in the window of the dragon tower.

Wraith
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Wraith » 09 Aug 2007, 18:27

i didnt mean that,but like walking talking each others

Return to “News”