Tom Chick on the IGN Review

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 01 Nov 2006, 20:55

Kicking is a poweful weapon that can get you out of the trickiest situations in Dark Messiah. In his article at IGN, reviewer Tom Chick called the game <i>The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks</i>: "Your simple boot regularly upstages magic, stealth, archery, and combat, all of which are represented in the basic skill tree. No matter which "class" you choose, it will behoove you to play a Kicklord." He gave the game a rating of 4 out of 10, by far the lowest score so far. He posted the following explanation on a <a href="/http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk ... 2">message board</a>:

<i>"Maybe one of the ZD folks will weigh in here, but they're trying to break out of the whole 7-9 ratings system. The idea is that a 5 is a middling game. By giving Dark Messiah a 4, my point is that it's a notch below middling. If I were rating it for a site that uses 7-9, I'd have given it a 6. Stupid numbers..."</i>¨

Despite the heavy criticism from the major gaming sites, Dark Messiah still has an average review score of 75% at <a href="/http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929360.asp">Game Rankings</a>. <a href="/http://www.gamernode.com/PC/Games/Dark_ ... merNode</a> (8.2 out of 10), <a href="/http://www.atomicgamer.com/article.php? ... icGamer</a> (79%) and <a href="/http://www.computergames.ro/ro/jocuri/v ... ames.ro</a> (80%) are the most recent articles. It's up to you to decide what all those numbers really mean.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1162414538
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

MistWeaver
Wraith
Wraith

Unread postby MistWeaver » 02 Nov 2006, 02:24

The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the
Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks.
That sounds funny :)
The Source engine has never looked worse than it does in these dimly lit, rotely drawn dungeons infested with technical glitches like stuttering sound and disappearing polygons.
Not true. Worst is "Vampire: The Masquerade. Bloodlines" Though I like this game anyway.

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 02 Nov 2006, 06:48

Tom Chick is one funny guy, and a rookie member at 1UP (not IGN), if you have checked out his profile - he seems to have registered just for this review, and already an editor? 8| What were we talking about EA and that conspiracy theory? :|

The only thing in the review I liked is that he called Sareth a Kicklord, the rest is just a garbage.

Labyrinth
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Labyrinth » 02 Nov 2006, 08:03

Stupid review... yes, there are technical difficulties, but the game is still awesome!

Currently I`m playing it the second time, choosing a totally different set of skills than before, and still with great fun!
What the #$*! do we know?

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 02 Nov 2006, 14:38

Reviewers at the baddest, retards...

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Tom Chick on the 1UP Review

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 02 Nov 2006, 15:18

The kicking has to be somewhat overpowered, because if the kicks didn't have enough knockback, there would be no point in using them. The kicking idea is extremely cool; kick people off cliffs, into spike walls, or into campfires. It's a great idea!

It also adds alot to combat by ensuring that its not just button-mashing, a well-aimed kick can bring down one or multiple enemies! So, in combat, you don't just rely on your spells and weapons to fight.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 03 Nov 2006, 20:06

The very same 1UP just hammered Neverwinter Nights 2 with a 5 out of 10 (the game got 86% on GameSpot and 90% on Yahoo). That site seems to be on a mission to revolutionize the game review system.
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Omega_Destroyer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Omega_Destroyer » 03 Nov 2006, 21:26

Yeah, I noticed that. I wouldn't say they are trying to revolutionize anything more-so than they are probably just hung up on Japanese rpgs over American ones
And the chickens. Those damn chickens.

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 05 Nov 2006, 21:10

... up to us to decide what the numbers mean? Doesn't it just mean that the game is yet another shallow first-person slasher?

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 21:13

Shallow would mean it has a dumb story and nothing special.From the reactions of people hear,I doubt that the story is dumb,and it does have a lot special(completelly interactable enviroment and development path for your character).

WretchedGnu
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby WretchedGnu » 05 Nov 2006, 21:34

I just can't figure out why people who are fans of a strategy game like HoMM would even be interested in the inane world of FPS...
Edited on Sun, Nov 05 2006, 14:36 by WretchedGnu

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 21:40

Just play deus ex,thief or half life and youll see why.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Nov 2006, 21:42

DaemianLucifer wrote:Shallow would mean it has a dumb story and nothing special.
Depends on your prespective. Most FPS's aren't very story heavy.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

DaemianLucifer
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby DaemianLucifer » 05 Nov 2006, 21:53

I said dumb story and nothing special.For example,UT has almost no story,but it is special in a way of multiplayer.

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 05 Nov 2006, 22:04

Like i said, that's your perspective.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

Return to “News”