JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

Discussions about the latest news in the Might and Magic community.
Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jul 2011, 15:47

In this week's news, we give you <a href="/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NnaoLNs40">this interview</a> with Jon von Caneghem from this year's E3. During the quick pit-stop he made at the Ubisoft booth, he managed to shoot off a few words about his views on the 25th anniversary of the series. Also included are some cool shots of some of the games, ranging from the first M&M game ever created to the one coming out this September.

<p><center><iframe width="425" height="349" src="/http://www.youtube.com/embed/m7NnaoLNs40?hl=nb&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></center>

<p>In other news, the Beta version of <i>M&M Heroes VI</i> finished two days ago. The next phase of the testing begins on August 9th and ends on August 20th.

<p>Meanwhile, a chapter from the <b>Ashan Compendium</b> was published yesterday, dealing with the <i>Haven</i> faction. In it, you will not only find some of the excellent artworks we have seen so far, but also the lowdown on the faction: its general beliefs, culture and value systems; the Holy Empire's history, units, foreign relations and more. The whole .PDF file (8.88MB) is available <b><a href="/https://www.celestialheavens.com/homm6/ ... ere</a></b>.

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/1311781656
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 27 Jul 2011, 16:03

The whole thing sounds funny, it's just as if someone had just met his dad for the first time after 20 years. "I'm so proud of what you have become Little Jimmy, your mom did a great job, but if you'll excuse me I have a bus to catch."

Still, watch until the end for a small surprise. :)
I'm on Steam and Xbox Live.

Orfinn
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Orfinn » 27 Jul 2011, 16:34

Now I know how he looks like. Seems like a great guy too :), but I gotta say that the praise he gave the newer M&M games seems kinda "scripted". I smell marketing tactic, but if its honest...

Well, great.
Anyway I hope he gets back in the action of creating more M&M / HoMM games :)
I would be happy to see if JVC would do a joint co-operation with Ubisoft in that JVC stands for making Old/New universe M&M RPG games while other studios stands for the New universe (Ashan) HoMM part... though to be honest I hope JVC would get a hand in that too, especially with new old universe HoMM games (crossing fingers). After his long break, hes finally back :P

Da_Vane
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Da_Vane » 27 Jul 2011, 16:58

It does seem scripted and somewhat forced, although I think what JVC feels towards his fans is quite genuine. The older games still have quite a following, and as much as the newer games are pushed by Ubisoft, there will always be those who prefer the originals and continue to support them, and would like to see the old universe expanded upon rather than ditched wholesale for Ubi's reboot of the series. I'd like to see JVC return to form on them at some point and reengage with the community, even if it's not directly with Ubisoft.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Re: JVC Interview & Ashan Compendium

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 27 Jul 2011, 17:04

Angelspit wrote:"I'm so proud of what you have become Little Jimmy, your mom did a great job, but if you'll excuse me I have a bus to catch."
Wait, you're not saying they put him on a bus, are you? :devil:

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 27 Jul 2011, 17:07

Funny how something seems "scripted" as soon as the person is not saying what the fans want to hear :p We wrote the questions, but the interview was not filmed directly by us (unfortunately - I would have loved to meet JVC in the flesh and ask him a few questions about lore and stuff ^^)

By the way JVC currently works on Command & Conquer for EA, so he's quite busy.
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 27 Jul 2011, 17:31

Surprisingly (for UbiFail's interview) not bad, but why the F so little of the original RPG series (just a couple of clips from I and III and none from other installments) footage? :) It is not appropriate to not show what was the beginning and foundation of the series when talking about its anniversary.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 27 Jul 2011, 18:03

Kalah wrote:>>>The whole .PDF file (8.88MB) is available here.
Isn't it 31 MB?
And why this crappy angel again?

Speaking of angels:
>>>Angels also have a unique aura that covers their faces and alters them slightly, so as to look more like the people who contemplate them. An Elf would see themas slightly elven, an Orc would give them orcish traits, etc.
Wait, what? 8|
Moment...
In order to ensure that Elrath, the Dragon God of Light, would continue to have followers, the Angels came up with a plan to convert the newborn Human Empire from its worship of Ylath, the Dragon God of Air.
So Angels want that human do what they will order them and also Angels look different for different races? I think I saw very similar race somewhere else but where? :P
Ah yes...
Welcome back Ambassador Kosh! :devil:

CloudRiderX
Succubus
Succubus

Unread postby CloudRiderX » 27 Jul 2011, 18:21

Even though it does sound scripted, its easy to tell that he's happy to see the series is still alive and kicking.
"A Guardian is always prepared." - Galio, the Sentinel's Sorrow

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 27 Jul 2011, 21:23

I love JVC! Too bad he's not with the M&M team anymore!

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 27 Jul 2011, 21:59

A great interview. Sad to miss a chance to ask him about the Ancients, but alas, beggars and choosers :P

Kalah
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Unread postby Kalah » 27 Jul 2011, 22:12

Avonu wrote:
Kalah wrote:>>>The whole .PDF file (8.88MB) is available here.
Isn't it 31 MB?
Only on the official site. I compressed the file, so here on CH it's 8.8. ;)
In War: Resolution, In Defeat: Defiance, In Victory: Magnanimity, In Peace: Goodwill.

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 27 Jul 2011, 23:06

The most important bit of information for me is JVC's *personal* confirmation that UbiSoft actually did make him an offer to continue working on M&M games.

This gives me something to think about...

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 28 Jul 2011, 00:07

@ Corlagon

Yeah I'm sure he has some untold secrets left!

vicheron
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby vicheron » 28 Jul 2011, 01:13

Too bad JVC didn't go back to Ubisoft after he decided to stay in gaming. Too bad Ubisoft didn't try to hire him again.

Marzhin
Pit Lord
Pit Lord

Unread postby Marzhin » 28 Jul 2011, 12:19

@Vicheron: when JVC returned to gaming he went to work for NCSoft with his friend Richard Garriott then moved on to create a new company (Trion). So he was already interested in other things than Might & Magic at the time. You can't chain a man to only one series :)
Edited on Thu, Jul 28 2011, 08:20 by Marzhin
----------------------------
Might and Magic, baby !

JSE
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby JSE » 28 Jul 2011, 12:41

It's of course true that it doesn't really make sense to ask for JVC's return if the man actually doesn't want to return and instead work on different projects. That was probably the case in the past.

However, the burning question is: Would he want to return *now* if UbiSoft made him another offer?

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jul 2011, 13:43

I think JVC started to lose interest right after Heroes III. Blame 3DO, car racing and the fact that nobody wants to be a one-trick pony.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 28 Jul 2011, 14:38

JVC, Bryan Farina, and a lot of other NWC guys worked on this game at Trion: http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 28 Jul 2011, 14:47

Rob King too

Return to “News”