Barrow Dawns... (Ghosts and things!)

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
pashSANITY
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Barrow Dawns... (Ghosts and things!)

Unread postby pashSANITY » 13 Nov 2008, 23:16

Okay so I stumbled onto this forum, I don't remember how or why lol, but to all the regulars hi there! I'm Pash. So when I found this forum it rekindled my memories of my first ever computer game, Might and Magic 7. I got this game when I moved to Canada from Russia for Christmas when I was 10, and at the time didn't speak (not to even mention read) much English so the game proved to be... rather difficult lol. Took me 2 years to finish (while in the process of slowly learning English it started to get easier and easier lol).

So now that I remembered about MM7 (still in my mind the best game I've ever played), what's to do? Torrent it! Luckily I ended up finding a place for the whole M&M series from 1 to 9, so I'm stoked to try the rest of the games (other then 7 I've only played 9 and that was such a disappointment in comparison to 7 that I couldn't bring myself to finish it).

SO I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering.

1) I appolagize if this is a stupid question, but I can't remember ANYTHING from when I last played the game (not that there's much to remember from not speaking English), but after getting the series the first thing I wanted to do was play through MM7 again. Just finished cleaning out the castle of goblins and attempted to go to stone city but a ghost quickly made me reconsider my decision... Last time I played this game I never actually did ANYTHING in the Barrow Dawns except for run towards stone city, but this time around I don't really feel like running through the game but instead would rather play it (now that I can understand the god damn thing!)

So my question is, is there a trick to fighting ghosts/wraiths/etc... at lower levels? Any particular strategy or what not to get through to stone city without running for it?

and

2) I'm not going to lie, I plan on playing MM1 through 5 last because I simply adore the engine that was used for 6, 7, and 8. Would you recommend playing 6-9 and then going back or playing them in order? To get the most out of the experience.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 13 Nov 2008, 23:30

Yeah I recommend playing 6-8, you can consider if you really want to go through the trouble of playing the old and confusing 1-5 games after that :P

Umm.. Well what I usually do is I cast Wizard Eye and I fight in real time, running and shooting. It's kinda lame, but it's still pretty fun imo.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 14 Nov 2008, 06:45

Well, I don't remember the Ghosts and Gargoyles being *that* much trouble, but if they are, maybe you should try to go to Erathia and fight some bandits first instead?
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

Herry Hardfoot
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Herry Hardfoot » 14 Nov 2008, 06:53

I'd play 6-8 first, because they're the most fun. 9 is a disaster, even with TELP's patch--I wouldn't play it at all.

As for killing the outdoor undead, use bows with fire aura cast on them. In turn-based mode you can shoot the bows and then scoot a little backwards during your turn. Also, if you came to the Barrow Downs from the direction of Harmondale, there's a bridge to the west of the outside tavern. Just before the bridge there is always a useful wand lying on the ground. It works well on undead and gogs.

Matt.J
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Matt.J » 13 Jan 2009, 13:25

Okay so I stumbled onto this forum, I don't remember how or why lol, but to all the regulars hi there! I'm Pash. So when I found this forum it rekindled my memories of my first ever computer game, Might and Magic 7. I got this game when I moved to Canada from Russia for Christmas when I was 10, and at the time didn't speak (not to even mention read) much English so the game proved to be... rather difficult lol. Took me 2 years to finish (while in the process of slowly learning English it started to get easier and easier lol).

So now that I remembered about MM7 (still in my mind the best game I've ever played), what's to do? Torrent it! Luckily I ended up finding a place for the whole M&M series from 1 to 9, so I'm stoked to try the rest of the games (other then 7 I've only played 9 and that was such a disappointment in comparison to 7 that I couldn't bring myself to finish it).

SO I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering.

1) I appolagize if this is a stupid question, but I can't remember ANYTHING from when I last played the game (not that there's much to remember from not speaking English), but after getting the series the first thing I wanted to do was play through MM7 again. Just finished cleaning out the castle of goblins and attempted to go to stone city but a ghost quickly made me reconsider my decision... Last time I played this game I never actually did ANYTHING in the Barrow Dawns except for run towards stone city, but this time around I don't really feel like running through the game but instead would rather play it (now that I can understand the god damn thing!)

So my question is, is there a trick to fighting ghosts/wraiths/etc... at lower levels? Any particular strategy or what not to get through to stone city without running for it?

and

2) I'm not going to lie, I plan on playing MM1 through 5 last because I simply adore the engine that was used for 6, 7, and 8. Would you recommend playing 6-9 and then going back or playing them in order? To get the most out of the experience.
I don't ever remember having troubles with them ... just hack 'em up :)

One thing to note though, I stumbled upon great treasure in that area [barrow downs], try walking to your NW as soon as you enter the barrows from harmondale side; there is a chest along the wall of one of the mountains -- beware, you'll be automagically teleported into a horde of goglings once you exit the chest!

Talin_Trollbane
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Talin_Trollbane » 13 Jan 2009, 15:30

my strategy is casting Fly and then fly around shooting them with arrows, works like a charms as long as you dont stumble across Gogs, they can cast fireballs.
Ultima, Elder Scrolls and Might and Magic Veteran.

Lord13
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Lord13 » 13 Jan 2009, 18:35

One of the best parts of an open-free world that a rpg has is to
discover what order you will follow at your quests,travels etc. ;)
I never had probs with Ghosts tbh but iirc always I gone first to finish
some side quests to Erathia before heading to Barrow to follow the main
quest line again. I suggest explore more the side quests you can find
around, earn lvls-items etc and soon ghosts will be a joke :P

I suggest you to play first MnM6-8(not 9 plz) first and then
try the 1-5 if u have the patience(must know how to work dos-box
to work em good and get used the oldschool gameplay etc).
Every man dies...
Every beast dies...
Only heroes live forever!

Return to “Might and Magic”