damn STEAM...

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Qlczas-PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

damn STEAM...

Unread postby Qlczas-PL » 22 Dec 2006, 21:12

please... help me...

I just don't get it...

I'm instaling the game, first is STEAM, then - I choose Single Play & Multi options and install both (7gb). Next is the funny "i don't know what for?" program "Playlinc".

I registered then my game into steam. Log on my account (created earlier on ubi.com cause I'm playing homm5 on-line already).
and... then there is option to install my games ;]
which are... installed!? I just don't get it!
it want to download 2 gb from the net!

so ok, I've uninstalled DM and choosed to install it once more. Only Mulit this time (to spend less time on installing). and I go onto Steam... and the game is still not installed. So I choose install and it wants also to dl 510 mb from the net :/ can't this be avoided if I want to play my multiplayer game of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?!?

What alterantives I've got besides Steam if I like to play MP game?
"Today is the last day
of the rest of Your Life!"
- Caleb from "Blood"

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Dec 2006, 03:25

Do you have the game on CD or DVD? If you install the single-player portion, Steam will re-download some files the next time you run it. You can simply pause that download and start the game normally using the program group. Steam will want to download files as well for multiplayer, but this update is mandatory. You have no choice but to pick up a book and wait.

If you're using the Steam version, I'm not sure the advice above is useful.

Good luck.

Qlczas-PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Qlczas-PL » 23 Dec 2006, 09:29

ok, I installed MP game (dvd version) and that 510 mb of downlading stuff was patch 1.2 ;] so that wasn't so horrible.
but now I can't install single player game <grrr> I must deinstal the game and install MP and SP at the same time and then dl the patch once more... oh my god... and besides I still got errors about "can't read: xxx something"
maybe my game disk is damaged ;/ (scratched or something?)
and when I tried to play some multi game i got 5-6 fps... could it be any worse?! :devil:
"Today is the last day
- Caleb from "Blood"

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 23 Dec 2006, 13:59

Oh man, the situation doesn't look good...

Qlczas-PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Qlczas-PL » 23 Dec 2006, 14:12

so... I made a disk image with nero, and mount it with alcohol and there were no errors. also I uninstaled the game and installed everything once more from the image. then I applied the patch 1.2 for single play and i'm downloading the multiplayer patch (510 mb SIC!) once more...

Maybe later I will have time to play some and see if the game is still crashing and If I would be able to play some PLAYABLE multiplayer game.
Wish me luck ;|
"Today is the last day
- Caleb from "Blood"

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 23 Dec 2006, 16:54

I'm not sure if this is related but there's a known glitch - if you install the game from DVD (I have Collector's Edition), you will be asked to confirm it via Steam and the Steam will ask you to download those files again. Just cancel it and play the game.

However I don't know if patches solve this problem - patches I'm trying to apply even don't recognize I've installed the game! It's not really a problem for me since I can run the game mostly flawless.

Qlczas-PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Qlczas-PL » 24 Dec 2006, 09:55

yeah, You're right. Steam doesn't see the single player game.

but yuppi! yesterday I managed to play my first multi player game! :D

oh my god this game rox!

so... se You on the servers!

Codename-49 Out :devil:
"Today is the last day
- Caleb from "Blood"

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 24 Dec 2006, 13:48

arturchix wrote:It's not really a problem for me since I can run the game mostly flawless.
Which shows quite well that you don't need a new computer... :devious:

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 24 Dec 2006, 14:01

On the lowest settings, all tuned down - yes, it runs quite flawless. The new computer will allow me to experience the best of the game on highest settings! :D

PaladinOfMM
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PaladinOfMM » 25 Dec 2006, 05:04

arturchix, could you give me a step-by-step on how to intall and play Multiplayer for Dark Messiah (Collector's Edition)? Let's assume that no Dark Messiah / Steam account is installed into my PC at all.

I may be dumb sometimes when it comes to MMORPG (yes I have no experience playing or even installing a MMORPG at all!). Please spare some time. Thank you in advance.

I'm badly want to play the MP games with you guys here. :-D
The Paladin of Might and Magic

Qlczas-PL
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Qlczas-PL » 25 Dec 2006, 12:40

DM is not a MMORPG.
It's rather something similiar to Unreal Tournament (Quake 3) or Battlefield games (depending on game type - Conquest, Deathmatch)

installing the game... the easiest way:

put dvd in the dvd-rom ;] choose first to install STEAM (if you haven't earlier), then install game Multi-Player (and single if you also want to play it)
(if you got already installed game, first you'll need to uninstal everything!
when instalator asks about Play Linc you can choose "not install" 'cause it's not needed at all (IMHO).

after game installation run STEAM, and choose to create new account.

when you got yourself an account, go to "store" and below the advertises there is "activate a product on steam" then follow the steps and input your serial number when you'll be asked for it.
when you're done in "my games" section you should have DM Multi and Single player games and information "not installed"

click on multi player and choose "install" and now you must wait some time cause you got 510 mb to download.
when there will be information "100% - ready" you can now play the game :] by using the "servers" button below and choosing to find "Dark Messiah" Servers or by starting the multiplayer game (double click on the steam window on the Name of "DM multiplayer" or by using an icon for Multi Player on your Desktop. and then choose "find servers" and so on...
"Today is the last day
- Caleb from "Blood"

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 25 Dec 2006, 13:21

PaladinOfMM wrote:arturchix, could you give me a step-by-step on how to intall and play Multiplayer for Dark Messiah (Collector's Edition)? Let's assume that no Dark Messiah / Steam account is installed into my PC at all.

I may be dumb sometimes when it comes to MMORPG (yes I have no experience playing or even installing a MMORPG at all!). Please spare some time. Thank you in advance.

I'm badly want to play the MP games with you guys here. :-D
Here's what I just did, reinstalling the game. However, I have a Steam account already, since the times of Half-Life 2. I don't remember if I had to type in any registration key since I just reinstalled the game but I think you don't need it.

You can follow these steps if you wish.

[1] Go to SteamPowered.com, install a Steam client, register your nickname and run it. You can exit it and it will stay in background. I'm actually not sure if this is required.
[2] Run the Dark Messiah installer from the DVD. You'll be asked to select various options, like installing Playlinc, DirectX9, game shortcuts and other stuff - I selected only the necessary game files (single player and multiplayer, about 7 GB of size) plus shortcuts.
[3] Install the game, it might take up to 10 minutes.
[4] After a successful installation you will be asked for kind of install via Steam as well - just cancel it unless you wish to download the same game. In your Steam games list will appear the Dark Messiah multiplayer as installed and the singleplayer as uninstalled. You can easily ignore that all - multiplayer from now on will be updated automatically once a patch is out but for single player you will have to manually download patches, if you wish.
[5] Apply patches 1.1 and 1.2. I had problems applying the second patch just like the first one before reinstalling the game. In that case re-download the patch and restart the computer if necessary.

Play the game! With patches the game now has a lot better performance on my computer. :)

PaladinOfMM
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby PaladinOfMM » 26 Dec 2006, 11:54

Thank you very much arturchix.
Now I don't need to download so much compared to last time because what I did for last time was:
1. Install Dark Messiah (everything, including Steam and PlayLinc).
2. Registered DM to Steam but need to download 2GB++ for Multiplayer.
3. Then I got fed up of download these big chunck because my bandwidth is limited and slow.

Now, at least Steam checked my PC and verified that I need to download another 50% of 500MB of data files for Multiplayer.

Thanks guys, hope to see you guys online in a couple of days. :-D
The Paladin of Might and Magic

arturchix
Titan
Titan

Unread postby arturchix » 26 Dec 2006, 12:41

No problem. :) I'm not sure about those 500 MB for multiplayer - it was already 100% for me right after the installation.

From time to time Ubisoft is organizing so called fun nights - you can check out either the official M&M portal or Ubisoft Dark Messiah forums for more info - usually it's possible meet there several known faces.

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Unread postby HodgePodge » 26 Dec 2006, 17:39

Why would UbiSoft/Arkane make it so hideously hard to install this game? Image That's just stupid! Another reason for me NOT to buy it.
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Angelspit
CH Founder
CH Founder

Unread postby Angelspit » 26 Dec 2006, 18:00

HodgePodge wrote:Another reason for me NOT to buy it.
I'm sure everyone has stopped counting the reasons by now. :D

Return to “Might and Magic”