MM7 new modding

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Re: MM7 new modding

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 25 Jun 2023, 08:57

I thought I'd post some pictures to whet your appetite, and because I haven't posted in a while. The work is going pretty well, the V2 map will be also ready soon.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 27 Jun 2023, 21:18

An unfriendly inhabitant of the snowy landscape. The ice demons made of crystal golems will be familiar, but since I've dealt with them, I've also enhanced their images a bit.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 10 Aug 2023, 12:06

I've had a bit of a rest, but now I'm back on track with the developments. I'm done with the 2nd area of Vori, it will be called 'The Dead Fjords'. I've got the scripting part to do, filling the area with inhabitants, monsters, and a few other things to development. It will be a slow process, but it will happen.

I think the minimap is better than the previous one.. I will slowly grow up to the task. :)

And then the dilemma now is how much of the new areas to show. I don't want to reveal everything to the public, so that it can be explored in complete obscurity, but I have to show some of it. I'll think about it, but in the meantime here's a preview of an AI visualisation from the game's view. It's pretty accurate compared to the original, and similar in most respects.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 17 Aug 2023, 21:10

The final version of 4 maps has been completed, Bracada and Evenmorn have also received a few tweaks and updates.

Malekitsu
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby Malekitsu » 18 Aug 2023, 17:03

man this looks amazing

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 19 Aug 2023, 07:51

Thanks! :)

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 26 Aug 2023, 18:08

A few more ideas: snow wolf and elf city guard.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 15 Sep 2023, 03:00

This mod looks ridiculously interesting, would be an awesome expansion to the merge. Will this be compatible with it?

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 16 Sep 2023, 08:48

For the moment, I don't think so. I'm not doing the merge, but when my mod is done, someone might be able to put it in.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 16 Sep 2023, 10:43

I see, other than that your work is simply mindblowing. I'll definitely play it, when you release it. If you need help with models, I would gladly help you. Im a blender guy too (and also an indie gamedev).

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 16 Sep 2023, 14:52

Thank you! Well, it would be nice to get on with the release, but that's still a little way off. There are technical problems for now, and I'd much rather be modelling! :) But thanks for offering your help, I always keep such useful information in mind!

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 17 Sep 2023, 13:38

What kind of technical problems are there? Crashes?
Also, how do you know what polycount this engine can handle? First thing that came to my mind when I saw your meshes.

Sure thing mate, lemme know if you ever need some help. :)

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 18 Sep 2023, 16:22

In fact, yes, it is very easy to crash the game. The problem at the moment is that I did it all with ExtMaster (https://github.com/GrayFace/MMExtension) because it was more convenient. Then I downloaded a completely oroginal MM7 as a trial, and used ext2.2 and ext master in the same way (I mean, on another origi MM7).
With both, the game freezes after a minute even though I'm not doing anything but walking around. This is the error message: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qfBUNi ... sp=sharing
I would be happy if someone could solve this.
Strobe wrote: Also, how do you know what polycount this engine can handle? First thing that came to my mind when I saw your meshes.
Thanks to the RemoveLimits, the game can handle a lot of polynoms quite well. But I still testing the limits. :D

Well, there are always problems like that. I'm lucky to get a lot of help with them on this site. :) And if I'm stuck on something, I'll do something else until it's solved.

Strobe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Strobe » 21 Sep 2023, 11:16

Szóval magyar vagy... nahát, nahát. What a surprise! :D

I couldn't tell you by this what can cause the problem, since there's multiple error codes, but I guess its something like a memory allocation/leak.
Since most of the dll's are from System32, I think it indicates an overflow of memory allocations.

Exception EAccessViolation in module MMExtension.dll at 00006E08.
Access violation at address 03946E08 in module 'MMExtension.dll'. Read of address FFFFFFF1.

Access Violation: An "Access Violation" error occurs when a program attempts to access a memory location that it's not allowed to access. This can happen for various reasons, such as:

Trying to read or write to a memory address that is reserved for the operating system.
Attempting to access a null or uninitialized pointer.
Accessing memory that has been freed or deallocated.
Accessing memory outside the bounds of an array.

Chatgpt wrote me this.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 27 Sep 2023, 19:09

Are you familiar with the dungeon?

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 27 Sep 2023, 19:14

Are we supposed to recognize it? The general cavern style is a bit like MM6 Abandoned Temple, although it's obviously different (no temple part, for one).

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 03 Oct 2023, 19:15

Yeah, yeah, this is Wromthrax's lair. I just renovated / expanded it a "bit".

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 08 Oct 2023, 12:27

The problem seems to be solved. I'll post more about the improvements later.

Kaltenberg
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kaltenberg » 19 Dec 2023, 21:12

It's been a while since I posted something. There were some major problems, some of them were solved (many thanks to Tomsod!), but there are still some that need to be dealt with.
But this is not meant as a complaining post, quite the opposite! Despite the bugs, I have been able to make very good progress with the improvements. Vori is starting come to life, I'm very close to the end, and I have some new achievements. I've added a new location to the pyramid, so it now rivals the great pyramid of MM6, and I've textured the whole thing up. Still have to divide it into rooms, which is a lot of work, then scripting and placing sprites/monsters. I have my cave complete, which connects Vori to Tatalia. Add 7 new quests for the time being (all with some twist, not just the easiest ones), and halfway done with the modeling of the interior of Vori buildings. I've done completely new textures. Seriously, can't think of how much stuffs I have now, I'll have to count it, but there are a lot of small new content in addition to these.
I've collected 40 pictures to show you how the progress is going, so enjoy the view. :)

1-4: Little village of Snowhelm, and a small mountain hike with a cave. I will make similar schedules for all the stables and boats, so that they can be better adjusted (and of course because I have also changed them quite a bit).

5-6: Some people in the village are mouthing off.

7-10: Small camp in a valley. The monsters have yet to be imagined there. And new snowy chest texture, I think it's pretty well done.

11-14: The gates are locked at night, there is no going in and out. There's a sound effect when it closes and opens, but I'm too lazy to make a video. There's a magic item shop at the bottom and a snow-topped Golem Factory with some towers. The snowy stone textures are also brand new.

15-16: Some fitting into lore and directions on where not to go the curious traveler (will go there anyway).

17-18: It's all obvious and clear, isn't it? :D

19-20: Snow-covered Castle and Altar of Wishes also in this mod (never enough puzzles!).

21-24: Now that's a pyramid scheme. The top left picture is one of the exits leading to the Mortuary Temple, but I won't show that (nor many other locations, which looks very impressive, but sorry, I'll only show those once I release the mod).

25-28: Everything you need for an ordinary pyramid: sarcophagi, tombs, secret passages and the SCARAB BEETLE!

29-32: The obelisk was dragged here from the desert by somebody for some reason. Swatopluks look ugly in the Water Temple (do not search, it means nothing). There are still some black holes in some arches and door openings, they are only there because of 'roomification'.

33-36: Well, the Connecting Tunnel (small tribute to MM9). Much-much more detailed than any cave in the MMs, it's full of stalactites and their standing kind. The band of gold ore running along the walls, or white crystals, add light to an otherwise dark cave. The lighting is so well done that I'm thinking of banning the 'Torch Light' spell from the dungeon. These pictures turned out pretty crappy and don't fully capture the original atmosphere, but it would be a shame to spoil it. I'm thinking about it.

37-40: This is the passage leading out of the cave. Or in, from where we're looking. Let's just say I put them in reverse order. We're heading towards now Tatalia, and to the left of the arched tunnel (last picture) is where Wromthrax peeping.

Anyway, merry Christmas folks! :D

Bowerbank
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Bowerbank » 22 Dec 2023, 23:42

Looks great, amazing dedication. Merry Christmas

Return to “Might and Magic”