Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge redone

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge redone

Unread postby toadking » 14 Aug 2022, 12:19

cthscr wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 08:58
toadking wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 07:18 and re-open game, the issue resolved.

For the issue is not 100% occured, I don't know if this modification will affect the game?
Now try to fly with you first party member being Knight or just having 0 sp. Oops.
I bought a flying scroll to cast by party member ,both of cases have the same result. Knights can't cast magic, but who he have magic, magic value is 0 can cast it normally.
Test case 1: delete the line "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49"
Test case 2: keep the "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49" without remark as before.
:embarrased: Is my testing method correct?

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 14 Aug 2022, 12:48

toadking wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 12:19
cthscr wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 08:58
toadking wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 07:18 and re-open game, the issue resolved.

For the issue is not 100% occured, I don't know if this modification will affect the game?
Now try to fly with you first party member being Knight or just having 0 sp. Oops.
I bought a flying scroll to cast by party member ,both of cases have the same result. Knights can't cast magic, but who he have magic, magic value is 0 can cast it normally.
Test case 1: delete the line "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49"
Test case 2: keep the "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49" without remark as before.
:embarrased: Is my testing method correct?
Not exactly. Despite hirelings spell cast is indeed simulating scroll cast, there are differences. So you should be able to cast follower's Fly in both suggested cases but not actually fly. I don't remember if being cursed can also (randomly, in half of the attempts) produce "Spell failed" by scroll cast - it might affect as well.
You're trying to use player 0 mana pool instead of player 49. That won't help much.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 15 Aug 2022, 14:47

I complete the final stage and non-combat hirelings can cast their magic normally after remove the line "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49",Maybe I didn't test enough,however, this issue does not affect my continuous experience MM games :tongue:
I also sorted out some interesting things :-D
1. In Dragon Hunters' castle, when talking with Jeric Whistlebone, the window of Cauri Blackthorne pops up. Click the information on the window will complete the below quest:
"Find Cauri Blackthorne then return to Dantillion in Murmerwoods with information of her location".
it fixed in the merge's patch at 06.18,but exist in redone 2.0 with its newest patches.

2. In the breach,first found the runaway chaos , then use the magic of "Telekinesis" against the "Uneasy Origin Matter" outside the tower by flying, I can get the winner’s proclamation, score and finished the game.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 15 Aug 2022, 15:53

toadking wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 14:47 I complete the final stage and non-combat hirelings can cast their magic normally after remove the line "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49",Maybe I didn't test enough,however, this issue does not affect my continuous experience MM games :tongue:
I also sorted out some interesting things :-D
1. In Dragon Hunters' castle, when talking with Jeric Whistlebone, the window of Cauri Blackthorne pops up. Click the information on the window will complete the below quest:
"Find Cauri Blackthorne then return to Dantillion in Murmerwoods with information of her location".
it fixed in the merge's patch at 06.18,but exist in redone 2.0 with its newest patches.

2. In the breach,first found the runaway chaos , then use the magic of "Telekinesis" against the "Uneasy Origin Matter" outside the tower by flying, I can get the winner’s proclamation, score and finished the game.
What you need to do is get the Global folder from patch 2022.6.18 and place it in the Scripts folder of the merge redone 2.0. and that should fix that. Can you please test it. Thanks. Also, in the orinigal MM6 and MM7 knights do not have the ability for casting spells.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 16 Aug 2022, 00:25

it was found that a file mm8.games.lod was added to merge 06.18. After copying the file to the data directory of redone2.0, then the team can talk with Jeric Whistlebone normally,however, the nice UI of redone is missing.
later I found that this problem is related to out05.ddm in file mm8.games.lod,maybe you can find the corresponding DDM file in redone and modify it to fix the issue.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 16 Aug 2022, 02:18

toadking wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 00:25 it was found that a file mm8.games.lod was added to merge 06.18. After copying the file to the data directory of redone2.0, then the team can talk with Jeric Whistlebone normally,however, the nice UI of redone is missing.
later I found that this problem is related to out05.ddm in file mm8.games.lod,maybe you can find the corresponding DDM file in redone and modify it to fix the issue.
I need to know if you copied the Global folder to the Scripts folder of version 2.0? The Global folder has all of Rodril's Quests and they should have been updated. Whistlebone is in a dungeon (d16.blv, d16.dlv). Do you have GrayFace's tool MMArchive. Delete mm8.games.lod or move it to some other folder. The games.lod is the one you need. With MMArchive you need to extra (d16.blv, d16.dlv) from mm8.games.lod and place them into games.lod. This should solve the problem. I know what is wrong. A mistake I made in my part.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 16 Aug 2022, 09:28

I have been finished several testing today, and the results are reported as follows:
1.I put the "d16.blv, d16.dlv" from mm8.games.lod(06.18) to games.lod, issue about " talk with Jeric Whistlebone" is still exist.
2.My redone patch list : "redone full version 2.0" + "Patch4MergeRedone_V2.0.zip" + "Patch_two_for_MergeRedone_v2.0" , the modification time of the files are newer than files in patch0618. Later I overwrite files in scripts\global with patch0618 . It seems that this problem hasn't been solved.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 16 Aug 2022, 14:54

toadking wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 09:28 I have been finished several testing today, and the results are reported as follows:
1.I put the "d16.blv, d16.dlv" from mm8.games.lod(06.18) to games.lod, issue about " talk with Jeric Whistlebone" is still exist.
2.My redone patch list : "redone full version 2.0" + "Patch4MergeRedone_V2.0.zip" + "Patch_two_for_MergeRedone_v2.0" , the modification time of the files are newer than files in patch0618. Later I overwrite files in scripts\global with patch0618 . It seems that this problem hasn't been solved.
Some evt scripts are not being executed correctly. As in the case of the "AnkhQuest". I am going to try and fix the Jeric Whistlebone quest the same way.
David

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 16 Aug 2022, 16:43

I guess I should have mention this before, but I have never met Jeric Whistlebone. I assume he is inside the Dragon Hunter's Camp. What does he do? Does he give a quest? In the NPCGreet.txt, First greeting is "Hail! I'm Jeric Whistlebone. Welcome to my camp. We're on a hunting safari. You're welcome to look around, but don't interfere with our operation. This is no place for amateur fumbling about!" Second Greeting is "Hello, again." and nothing else.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 16 Aug 2022, 20:25

toadking wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 09:28 I have been finished several testing today, and the results are reported as follows:
Thanks for reporting the bugs. :applause:
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 17 Aug 2022, 08:45

DaveHer wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 16:43 I guess I should have mention this before, but I have never met Jeric Whistlebone. I assume he is inside the Dragon Hunter's Camp. What does he do? Does he give a quest? In the NPCGreet.txt, First greeting is "Hail! I'm Jeric Whistlebone. Welcome to my camp. We're on a hunting safari. You're welcome to look around, but don't interfere with our operation. This is no place for amateur fumbling about!" Second Greeting is "Hello, again." and nothing else.
Jeric Whistlebone stayed in the training camp on the bottom left side of the map, if the party to slay him including the rest of the training camp, and bring back his sword,"Sword of Whistlebone" to Deftclaw Redreaver, Redreaver will promote dragon in party to greate wyrm.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 17 Aug 2022, 09:00

This 2.0 version has been very nice to play, I have been tested several times during this period and rearranged the issues and solutions as below, these do not affect my experience of this excellent game, for your reference:
Issue 1 Greater Vampire in MM8 is near teams and attacks teams with his magic, the game reports an error and exit ,fixed by patch Patch_two_for_MergeRedone_v2.0.zip
Issue 2 When entering stone city in MM7(Naga Vault in MM8),report an error "Exception EAccessViolation in module mm8.exe at 0007024C" and exit, It is related to hardware acceleration and can be avoided.
Issue 3 Sometimes non-combat hirelings failed to cast its own magic,especially flying(NPC:wind master) ,healing(NPC:Healther master) , temporary solution: remark the line "mem.u2[0x51d822] = Caster or 49" in file "Scripts\Struct\after\HardcodedTopicFunctions.lua"
Issue 4 In breach, the party can't enter "the dark dwarves' compound" ,fixed by patch Patch_two_for_MergeRedone_v2.0.zip
Issue 5 Talking with Jeric Whistlebone, the window of Cauri Blackthorne pops up, I consciously don't talk to him :tongue:
Last edited by toadking on 17 Aug 2022, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 17 Aug 2022, 09:21

[/quote]
Jeric Whistlebone stayed in the training camp on the bottom left side of the map, if the party to slay him including the rest of the training camp, and bring back his sword,"Sword of Whistlebone" to Deftclaw Redreaver, Redreaver will promote dragon in party to greate wyrm.
[/quote]
I never did this quest. That's why I never met him.
David

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 19 Aug 2022, 10:14

Hi, the upper limit of weapon skill is 60. When the game's difficulty is 200%, the damage is not enough, also armsmaster is the same . Is there any way to break the upper limit?

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 19 Aug 2022, 16:59

toadking wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:14 Hi, the upper limit of weapon skill is 60. When the game's difficulty is 200%, the damage is not enough, also armsmaster is the same . Is there any way to break the upper limit?
I do not think there is. It is a question for GrayFace or Rodril.

Eksekk
Assassin
Assassin

Unread postby Eksekk » 19 Aug 2022, 18:10

toadking wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 10:14 Hi, the upper limit of weapon skill is 60. When the game's difficulty is 200%, the damage is not enough, also armsmaster is the same . Is there any way to break the upper limit?
It's done in Revamp, maximum "natural" limit (you can use skillpoints to get this high) is 80, while further values are available with bonuses (+X armsmaster, of Fire Magic etc.). Absolute maximum value is 255, but I doubt it's reachable for most skills without modifying game files.
Sadly I don't know if it's possible (meaning: easy enough) to make Revamp (or just this one script) compatible with Merge redone :( , cthscr (Revamp's main developer) will have to chime in.
Unfinished mod by me: MM7 Rev4 mod, MMMerge version.

raekuul
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby raekuul » 19 Aug 2022, 23:12

cthscr wrote:re: skills above rank 60
is the code for this portable to other projects? Merge Redone and a presently-hypothetical Level 255 Mod for MM6 both could use it.

DaveHer
Threeheaded Knight
Threeheaded Knight

Unread postby DaveHer » 20 Aug 2022, 00:38

raekuul wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 23:12
is the code for this portable to other projects? Merge Redone and a presently-hypothetical Level 255 Mod for MM6 both could use it.
If it works for the revamp, it should work for the redone.
David

WintersEmbers
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby WintersEmbers » 20 Aug 2022, 02:27

I'm sorry but is it possible to cheer this loudly enough. I haven't opened my mm games folder in several years. I played 8 for about an hour and then remembered someone made a mod that allowed party generation. I went searching for that and found this instead. I feel so gigglicious at the moment I could just fizz over and melt. Or maybe that's the 100 degree heat! Anyway:

:tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup: :tsup:

:hug:

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 21 Aug 2022, 15:32

raekuul wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 23:12
For MM8-based projects (heavy patching of mm8.exe), small adjustments will be required. Someone can "port" it (write his own patches actually) to mm7.exe but not to mm6.exe - SkillValue field size is one byte there rather than two.

Return to “Might and Magic”