Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Terelyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

Unread postby Terelyn » 18 Feb 2024, 22:38

Rodril wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 20:52
Terelyn wrote: I get the same error message even with a new save. Try turning the Bolster monsters option off, save over it and restart the game, then load the save file and try to enter the Temple of the Snake dungeon.
I could not reproduce error yet. Are you using base version of the merge? I'm asking because line 721 is empty in base version of the script, under none circumstances error could be raised there.
No, i'm using Revamp.

Macros the Black
Druid
Druid

Unread postby Macros the Black » 18 Feb 2024, 23:27

Prince_of_Thieves wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 14:38 1. make level up much more difficult
I was thinking, maybe it's more logical not to boost monsters (although that works pretty well too, if you don't set 200%, when even a goblin turns into a fat guy that you have to slash with a sword at point-blank range for 5 minutes), but to significantly increase the experience requirements per level up? For example, for the first five levels you can not change the requirements, but further increase the requirements exponentially or at least by a factor of 3, then the heroes will have to fly to other continents to somehow collect levels and develop. Tell me, can I adjust this by hand in the system files?
I agree with this, for the full merge experience it would be better if we just leveled slower instead of giving the monsters bigger stats. But it should be adjustable because if the player just wanted to play on one continent this wouldn't work out well. But for doing all three continents, then yes, it would be better if experience gain was slower. (also if experience gain is getting overhauled it could maybe be combined with my idea in this previous post of only the main character gaining experience and every other character just leveling up when the main character does so that it's more fun to switch party members more often)
3. Fix imbalanced spells
I guess, something should be done with imbalanced spells like berserk and others. Maybe ban them at all on high difficulty level? Or cut the expiration times by a factor of ten. Watched the multiplayer letsplay, the guys also complain that things get extremely easy with some spells.
Ideally the crowd control spells - including most mind magic and Paralysis and maybe Mass Distortion (if the enormous health pools get fixed first) -should have their own resistance and a lot of lategame tier 3 enemies and bosses should just be immune to all of them - but without also being immune to all earth and light magic etc.
Summon Light Elemental is also very OP atm, maybe the spell should just be made weaker in general or bolstering shouldn't affect summons idk.
4. Fix imbalanced wells/fountains/shrines
Maybe some walls / fountains also need to be fixed, because after drinking from Kriegspire LVL-UP well, you don't care much about dragons appearing behind the mountains, so the price is really low for such a pleasure. And with that artificial lvl-up you certainly TANK.
I don't mind these because you can just choose not to use them. I'm okay with the option existing, it lets people play how they want to play imo and also it can help a bit when the bolstering gets out of hand in the lategame.
I also thought that during snow and rain Accuracy should drop for all participants of the battle. Because, gosh!, how to fight when you cannot even walk (snow is really BAD weather and I like it)!!
Interesting idea! May get annoying if the effect is too big and just result in the player skipping time to get better weather.
You'd think Darkmoor was a ghost town, but instead there's plenty of life among the dead.

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 19 Feb 2024, 15:09

Rodril wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 20:52 Ensure you have selected Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode in properties of mm8.exe and mm8.setup.exe. Apply latest patch, if necessary. Install Microsoft VCRedist 2015+ x86 (just in case). If error persist, check your game folder for file named "ErrorLog.txt", and send it to me, please.
Fixed after switching to WinXP sp2 compatibility, it was win95 by default, thank you very much!!!
Macros the Black wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 23:27 May get annoying if the effect is too big and just result in the player skipping time to get better weather.
Wouldn't you spend time in tavern playing Acromage when it's blizzard outside? =)))

as for fountains, yeah, but I am one of those who cannot resist drinking from +50 Luck fountain, when I see it (even in real life, xD), so I certainly need a "lower effects" button. =)
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 19 Feb 2024, 18:47

You can edit LOD archives with Grayface's MMArchive. If you want to replace the type of used archive (i.e. from .lod to .zip etc), no, not in my power.
i meant a lwd file (that support 24bit images, to have the game run it in addition to LOD file, so i would be able to put "richer" sprites and icons in it.

SmallElemental
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SmallElemental » 20 Feb 2024, 08:07

Somehow I was able to do the Warlock promotion quest in 7 despite being light side, and I've now come to MM6 and I'm wanting to do the Priest promotion quest. As you can probably guess, the baby dragon is now causing problems doing this in that it takes up an NPC slot, so I have to actually dismiss three of my other followers to get the carpenter and stone cutter, and I'll only get two of them back afterwards.

Is there, ideally, a way to change the follower limit, or failing that, a way to delete the baby dragon? I'd be a little sad to do that, but it's annoying having it take up a slot and not even help the party in any way, since I have no Warlocks.

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 20 Feb 2024, 12:06

I found that after winning arcomage games in the tavern in MM6, there are records in the autonotes, and rewards for arcomage games can be set based on this characteristic, eg.

Code: Select all

local function vCheckMM6ArcomageFinished()
	local VI,VJ = 0,0
	for VI = 697,717 do
		if Party.AutonotesBits[VI] then
			VJ = VJ + 1
		end	
	end
	return VJ
end

Code: Select all

Quest
CheckDone = function()
		vFinishedCard = vCheckMM6ArcomageFinished()
		return (vFinishedCard == 21)		
	end,
Done = function ()
		evt.Add{"Inventory", XXXXX}  -----Rewards when finished.
	end,	
Perhaps this is a shortcut to implementation arcomage games in MM6 :)

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 20 Feb 2024, 13:23

SmallElemental wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 08:07Somehow I was able to do the Warlock promotion quest in 7 despite being light side [...] it's annoying having it take up a slot
Feature with a potential bug (this is so that you can still get the dragon as an NPC if you so choose). The dragon is not supposed to block your hireling slots like that though (it's supposed to be like the golem/the dwarves/Nicolai).

rampage77t
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby rampage77t » 20 Feb 2024, 13:25

SmallElemental wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 08:07 Somehow I was able to do the Warlock promotion quest in 7 despite being light side, and I've now come to MM6 and I'm wanting to do the Priest promotion quest. As you can probably guess, the baby dragon is now causing problems doing this in that it takes up an NPC slot, so I have to actually dismiss three of my other followers to get the carpenter and stone cutter, and I'll only get two of them back afterwards.

Is there, ideally, a way to change the follower limit, or failing that, a way to delete the baby dragon? I'd be a little sad to do that, but it's annoying having it take up a slot and not even help the party in any way, since I have no Warlocks.

What you have to do is feed the dragon enough for it to grow and become a character that can join the party. The quest can be done even if you choose the path of light since depending on which side you choose is the type of dragon it will be when it grows up.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Feb 2024, 14:45

Terelyn wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 18:34
cthscr wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 13:13 Doesn't happen to me. Please provide savegame if possible.
I get the same error message even with a new save. Try turning the Bolster monsters option off, save over it and restart the game, then load the save file and try to enter the Temple of the Snake dungeon.
Got it. Workaround is added. Not sure [yet] how all this bolstering process should be implemented properly. Maybe just left as it is now.

cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby cthscr » 20 Feb 2024, 14:57

toadking wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:06 I found that after winning arcomage games in the tavern in MM6, there are records in the autonotes, and rewards for arcomage games can be set based on this characteristic, eg.
This is revamp specific. And it will be checked based on current player awards while speaking with specific npc. Who is not added yet.

Arch-vile
Galactic Gargle Blaster
Galactic Gargle Blaster

Unread postby Arch-vile » 20 Feb 2024, 15:17

SmallElemental wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 08:07 Somehow I was able to do the Warlock promotion quest in 7 despite being light side, and I've now come to MM6 and I'm wanting to do the Priest promotion quest. As you can probably guess, the baby dragon is now causing problems doing this in that it takes up an NPC slot, so I have to actually dismiss three of my other followers to get the carpenter and stone cutter, and I'll only get two of them back afterwards.

Feed the dragon :D

antipaladin
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby antipaladin » 20 Feb 2024, 18:40

rampage77t wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:25

What you have to do is feed the dragon enough for it to grow and become a character that can join the party. The quest can be done even if you choose the path of light since depending on which side you choose is the type of dragon it will be when it grows up.
i did not know that!
anyone have spoilers?

also. can we have the log describing which arcomage games we win? (and where?)

SmallElemental
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby SmallElemental » 21 Feb 2024, 10:43

raekuul wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:23 The dragon is not supposed to block your hireling slots like that though (it's supposed to be like the golem/the dwarves/Nicolai).
rampage77t wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 13:25 What you have to do is feed the dragon enough for it to grow and become a character that can join the party. The quest can be done even if you choose the path of light since depending on which side you choose is the type of dragon it will be when it grows up.
Awesome, thanks so much for this! I've almost finished all three games so I've been neglecting the poor thing for a long time now, but it's good to know there's some solution. I took the feeding option as some sort of flavour text.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 21 Feb 2024, 12:11

So i finally updated to the latest version of MMMerge (had to completely delete and re-install my Might and Magic 8 folder to get it to work right). I created a Vampire Necromancer, but i noticed he doesn't have the Vampire skill/spell at the start. Made a bee-line for Shadowspire, and Payge Arachnia could teach normal Vampire skill to my Vampire Necromancer, but i noticed it looks like he can only reach Expert skill in it. Does that get upgraded to GM once i complete the Nosferatu quest promotion? Or does it only upgrade once he gets promoted within his own class? If so, that could be a problem because the Lich promotion changes his Race. In my old MMMerge version with Templayer's Race Unlocker, i had to make sure that i got my Vampire Necromancer to GM Vampire skill, before i promoted him to a Lich, otherwise he wouldn't have access to Mist Form (which is insanely good for a heavy spellcaster like a Lich or Priest of Light/Dark).
Last edited by Daedros on 21 Feb 2024, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Terelyn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Terelyn » 21 Feb 2024, 18:11

In MM6, you can't reach the entrance of the Tomb of VARN without the Fly spell. The King's Library in Castle Ironfist has a similar problem.

Prince_of_Thieves
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Prince_of_Thieves » 21 Feb 2024, 21:28

Ufgh, another strange idea was generated inside me:
what if every Town Portal / Lloyd Beacon spell-cast consumed some gem? It's that those are pretty cheaty-spells. Once you learn one of those, game becomes supereasy (you can jump from town to town, getting buffs from wells and fountains; also healing in NS every 5 min). If gems are involved, they'll have some use (there will be reasons to hunt them and buy) + it'll balance the spell.
Since I've stepped away from the Thieves Guild affairs, I've mostly been drawing Enroth. My artworks can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/art_out_of_despair/

raekuul
Marksman
Marksman

Unread postby raekuul » 21 Feb 2024, 22:34

Terelyn wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 18:11 In MM6, you can't reach the entrance of the Tomb of VARN without the Fly spell. The King's Library in Castle Ironfist has a similar problem.
There's a staircase leading to the upper levels of the castle area in castle ironfist, they're over on the same side as the temple.

As for the tomb of VARN: You should be able to get up there with repeated jump spells instead of flight (for some reason I think you can just walk up the steps in mm6? But the physics are different in 7/8)

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 21 Feb 2024, 23:45

Prince_of_Thieves wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 21:28 Ufgh, another strange idea was generated inside me:
what if every Town Portal / Lloyd Beacon spell-cast consumed some gem? It's that those are pretty cheaty-spells. Once you learn one of those, game becomes supereasy (you can jump from town to town, getting buffs from wells and fountains; also healing in NS every 5 min). If gems are involved, they'll have some use (there will be reasons to hunt them and buy) + it'll balance the spell.
D&D had a "Gemjump" spell that was similar. It required a Roguestone gem to cast the spell. https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Gemjump
Should probably be an Emerald if that was implemented. Emeralds are pretty valuable, and you can upgrade other gems up to Emeralds at the Gem Tree in Murmurwoods.
In fact, earlier Might and Magics (such as 1 and 2) required Gems to cast any spells.
Last edited by Daedros on 22 Feb 2024, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

Daedros
Scout
Scout

Unread postby Daedros » 22 Feb 2024, 09:19

Relating to my question about whether Vampire Necromancers can attain GM Vampire skill, it also looks like Trolls do not get Regeneration skill as a racial ability. I created a Troll Knight and a Troll Monk in my party, and neither of them could learn Regeneration skill, from either Regeneration skill trainers, Mace skill trainers, or Troll Promotion NPC. Is there any way in the current version of the Merge to allow races to learn and GM their associated Racial ability?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 22 Feb 2024, 19:15

Daedros wrote: 22 Feb 2024, 09:19 Is there any way in the current version of the Merge to allow races to learn and GM their associated Racial ability?
Yes, you have to edit "Race Skills.txt" file in the "Data/Tables" folder, use Grayface's TxtEdit. Explanation of the meaning of column values: https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/ ... xt#p390428

Return to “Might and Magic”