Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.11.2023]

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
cthscr
Swordsman
Swordsman

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 23.07.2023]

Unread postby cthscr » 22 Oct 2023, 21:14

toadking wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 02:22 But now thief seems can't steal anything except gold from target, for example, in Merge of MM7's emerald island , thief can't steal the wand from MR.Malwick any more instead of gold. In addition, we can cast telepathy on a monsters in order to find out which item it has, then decide whether to steal, but now we can't steal these items any more too.
Stealing predefined item was never implemented. Stealing inventory items - was.
Actually stealing requires some complete rewrite to be more mm7-like.
toadking wrote: In addition, there is a slight issue with the information displayed in AWARD and Auto Notes, many duplicate things between them, some are wrong information, for example, MM7 is almost over, and it was found that there are lines show only a char "0" in both Misc and Fountain panel.Later on, I found that these values of 0 were displayed as the content of line 308,400,305,308 in Autonote.txt, and it is unknown which event triggered them.
First, Revamp awards list is different from Base one - 259 entries vs. 104. Earlier excluded awards were turned into qbits and autonotes. I restored them as awards (and added few new) but not going to remove autonotes. Awards [in general] are character properties, not party ones. And because of MM8 engine party members can be replaced (except Party[0] but technically it is not so hard to replace him too).
Some autonontes lack text in vanilla. 400 is about (MM6) Fountain of Magic. Other don't look legal to me (they are MM7 empty ones). Could be my bug somewhere in conversion (AutonotesBits in Base (and earlier Revamp) are in the same array as QBits and are fragile to extending qbits amount and I extended them twice before splitting ABits into separated array).

toadking
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby toadking » 23 Oct 2023, 02:28

cthscr wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 21:14
toadking wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 02:22 But now thief seems can't steal anything except gold from target, for example, in Merge of MM7's emerald island , thief can't steal the wand from MR.Malwick any more instead of gold. In addition, we can cast telepathy on a monsters in order to find out which item it has, then decide whether to steal, but now we can't steal these items any more too.
Stealing predefined item was never implemented. Stealing inventory items - was.
Actually stealing requires some complete rewrite to be more mm7-like.
toadking wrote: In addition, there is a slight issue with the information displayed in AWARD and Auto Notes, many duplicate things between them, some are wrong information, for example, MM7 is almost over, and it was found that there are lines show only a char "0" in both Misc and Fountain panel.Later on, I found that these values of 0 were displayed as the content of line 308,400,305,308 in Autonote.txt, and it is unknown which event triggered them.
First, Revamp awards list is different from Base one - 259 entries vs. 104. Earlier excluded awards were turned into qbits and autonotes. I restored them as awards (and added few new) but not going to remove autonotes. Awards [in general] are character properties, not party ones. And because of MM8 engine party members can be replaced (except Party[0] but technically it is not so hard to replace him too).
Some autonontes lack text in vanilla. 400 is about (MM6) Fountain of Magic. Other don't look legal to me (they are MM7 empty ones). Could be my bug somewhere in conversion (AutonotesBits in Base (and earlier Revamp) are in the same array as QBits and are fragile to extending qbits amount and I extended them twice before splitting ABits into separated array).
Thank you for your reply and hard work, these minor issues don't affect my fun in the game. :)

mmcrazy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mmcrazy » 24 Oct 2023, 18:28

MM7 i hired a scholar (for unlimited identify) but not works... I cant identify anything... Please fix even for MM6.

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 24 Oct 2023, 21:24

mmcrazy wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 18:28 MM7 i hired a scholar (for unlimited identify) but not works... I cant identify anything... Please fix even for MM6.
This is inteded, and i won't change that. This NPC still able to identify any item, except weapons and armors. I see original behaivor as clear oversight, because it nulifies meaning of player's ID item skill. I've made this change, after three my playthrougs in row started with searching of this NPC follower. Besides, that's how NPC describes his skills:
mm7 wrote:I studied under Thomas Grey in the School of Sorcery for years to learn to tell one magic item from another.
mm6 wrote:I studied under Lord Newton in Mist for eight years to learn to tell one magic item from another.

If you insist on reverting it back, you can do it yourself by editing "Scripts/Global/NPCFollowersSkills.lua" script at line 180.

mmcrazy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mmcrazy » 24 Oct 2023, 22:31

Rodril wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 21:24
mmcrazy wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 18:28 MM7 i hired a scholar (for unlimited identify) but not works... I cant identify anything... Please fix even for MM6.
This is inteded, and i won't change that. This NPC still able to identify any item, except weapons and armors. I see original behaivor as clear oversight, because it nulifies meaning of player's ID item skill. I've made this change, after three my playthrougs in row started with searching of this NPC follower. Besides, that's how NPC describes his skills:
mm7 wrote:I studied under Thomas Grey in the School of Sorcery for years to learn to tell one magic item from another.
mm6 wrote:I studied under Lord Newton in Mist for eight years to learn to tell one magic item from another.

If you insist on reverting it back, you can do it yourself by editing "Scripts/Global/NPCFollowersSkills.lua" script at line 180.
Thanks friend. Really dont know how to edit. I only found

---- Identify items
function events.CanIdentifyItem(t)
local Type = Game.ItemsTxt[t.Item.Number].EquipStat + 1
if Type >= 7 and Type <= 18 and NPCFollowers.HaveProfession(4) then
t.CanIdentify = true
end
end

I opened lua file with text editor windows :) Can u help?

Tomsod
Demon
Demon

Unread postby Tomsod » 24 Oct 2023, 23:05

mmcrazy wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 22:31 I only found

---- Identify items
t.CanIdentify = true
end
end

Delete "Type >= 7 and Type <= 18 and". That's the restriction on item type.

mmcrazy
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby mmcrazy » 26 Oct 2023, 01:17

Tomsod wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 23:05
mmcrazy wrote: 24 Oct 2023, 22:31 I only found

---- Identify items
t.CanIdentify = true
end
end

Delete "Type >= 7 and Type <= 18 and". That's the restriction on item type.
thanks friend :up:

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 28 Oct 2023, 13:49

Its been eons since I was here. I recently reinstalled Merge678 and despite being only level 14 5 man party, bolstering had already been turned on despite only being in Enroth in the Temple of Baa. I thought Bolstering wasn't until level 50? Was it because my party was a combined level 50? I turned it off and saw an immediate difference in enemy stats via Detect Life.

vaoex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaoex » 29 Oct 2023, 22:40

I have played through the merge maybe a year ago on the same PC, having issue witht the latest version.

Game hangs when travelling off Emerald Isle after starting in MM7, Cinematic plays fine but it just hangs after it plays or if I cancel it.

Also hangs on any exterior map change now ive tried further.

Win 10
Set Compatabilty to XP SP3
Followed install instructions here
https://www.celestialheavens.com/forum/10/17261

I tried clean gog install, reinstalled using the revamp branch and then tried rodrills branch

I also tried removing and replacing the. lod files and other instructions as described here
https://gitlab.com/cthscr/mmmerge/-/wik ... al/Install

Everything else seems to work fine I just can't move to a new outdoor map area (entering/exiting dungeon areas within a map works fine)
Last edited by vaoex on 30 Oct 2023, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

vaoex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaoex » 30 Oct 2023, 18:24

Update:
Fresh Installing with the 2022-02-15 pack and the community patch and I have no issues using same save files, so it's only with the latest update I am having issues transitioning areas.

Thanks for all the work, this is amazing as always.

Kinox
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Kinox » 30 Oct 2023, 22:49

Hi; Nerd Question, for MMMergefolks:

Does Bolster Monster have any direct, trigging relation to finishing a Continent, or perhaps to the order each Continent is Visited for the first time?
Or, instead, plainly and simple: it would only be dependent on the Party power, in relation to whichever Monsters appear around, whatever place, whatever time?

Rodril
Swordsman
Swordsman

Unread postby Rodril » 31 Oct 2023, 13:41

LadySoulCrystal wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 13:49 Its been eons since I was here. I recently reinstalled Merge678 and despite being only level 14 5 man party, bolstering had already been turned on despite only being in Enroth in the Temple of Baa. I thought Bolstering wasn't until level 50? Was it because my party was a combined level 50? I turned it off and saw an immediate difference in enemy stats via Detect Life.
Kinox wrote: Hi; Nerd Question, for MMMergefolks:

Does Bolster Monster have any direct, trigging relation to finishing a Continent, or perhaps to the order each Continent is Visited for the first time?
Or, instead, plainly and simple: it would only be dependent on the Party power, in relation to whichever Monsters appear around, whatever place, whatever time?

Hello. In current version bolster is on by default, and it's power is not related to game progress. Long ago (~2019) bolster was off for first continent and on for following, but it did not work well. I could not find golden point of balance, instead decision was made to give more tools to player for adjusting scaling to their likings: "extra settings" menu got "bolster multipliers" tab and there is "Bolster formulas.txt" table in "Data\Tables" folder for direct control of stats scaling.
I find current default setting good enough. For best experience - disable bolster manually for first continent. Once it is finished, enable it manually for the rest of playthrough. If your playthrough is based on continent hopping from the start, just keep it on.

LadySoulCrystal
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby LadySoulCrystal » 31 Oct 2023, 14:44

Rodril wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 13:41
LadySoulCrystal wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 13:49 Its been eons since I was here. I recently reinstalled Merge678 and despite being only level 14 5 man party, bolstering had already been turned on despite only being in Enroth in the Temple of Baa. I thought Bolstering wasn't until level 50? Was it because my party was a combined level 50? I turned it off and saw an immediate difference in enemy stats via Detect Life.
Kinox wrote: Hi; Nerd Question, for MMMergefolks:

Hello. In current version bolster is on by default, and it's power is not related to game progress. Long ago (~2019) bolster was off for first continent and on for following, but it did not work well. I could not find golden point of balance, instead decision was made to give more tools to player for adjusting scaling to their likings: "extra settings" menu got "bolster multipliers" tab and there is "Bolster formulas.txt" table in "Data\Tables" folder for direct control of stats scaling.
I find current default setting good enough. For best experience - disable bolster manually for first continent. Once it is finished, enable it manually for the rest of playthrough. If your playthrough is based on continent hopping from the start, just keep it on.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification and for all your hard work!!

Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Avatar86 » 31 Oct 2023, 19:31

Wahoo!! I Love this Mod <3 :D
Super thanks to all involved in making my favorite game series this beautiful and fun!

Just compleated a Level 1 Challange run with one Cleric and 4 Sorcerers! This was really fun, hard, challanging.
I do recomend trying it. (My score: 6286, 1y11m13d)

Rules:
Start with all Level 1.
Never ever train to level up.
Never recruit a member that is over Level 1 (find another way).
Wells, boosters, stat enhansers are all allowed. (Except maybe the well in Land of the Giants, that’s just Cheese)
Any %
Game is compleated when you cleared the Controlled Breach with the Runnaway Chaos (level 1 diploma) AND the Telelocator ”reseting time” (or did you…?).
Starting your New Game+ in Level 1…

Have a Nice Play! :tsup:
Last edited by Avatar86 on 31 Oct 2023, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

eilacomeva
Pixie
Pixie

Unread postby eilacomeva » 31 Oct 2023, 19:36

Anybody else getting 2 cubes from Tolberti/Robert the wise? If not, I managed to screw up two installations in the exact same way :D
savegame at https://ufile.io/folvlcn1

vaoex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaoex » 02 Nov 2023, 02:17

Is there anyway to to disable the Dragons basic ranged breath attack? Or even scale it down?
I really like that they melee now but the the ranged breath is so overtuned.
If I could disable the ranged attack and rely on magic for range I might actually run one for a change.

Demran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Re: Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 merge based on mm8 engine. [upd. 05.07.2021]

Unread postby Demran » 02 Nov 2023, 12:48

Demran wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 12:28 Hi,
I am not sure if this is mentioned, I searched quite a bit but couldn't find any info about it.

About skills (and skill caps);
While there doesn't seem to be an apparent skill cap (it keeps rising), when you reach 64 on a skill, in this case Armsmaster, it seems to reset entirely starting from beginning. Not the actual skill, but it's effects on the character.

I have 220+ skill points on my Knight but when I level Armsmaster more then 21 (+10 from Wallace / +7 from Terminus / +17 from Belt / +8 from Fleetfinger for a total of +42 Bonus that stacks on top of the actual 21, reaching 63 skill points) my damage lowers back to scratch as if I only have 0 or 1 points in Armsmaster.

Is there any report or information on this subject?
Should we simply not reach those numbers in game or my game files have a problem or something?
I play M&M series for 20-25 years, I get back to it every now and than. And well.. Merge is the ultimate version that I've ever dreamed of.
This is the 3rd time I visit the Merge.
On my 2nd playthrough I was stuck due to this Armsmaster problem. I totally forgot that I've written this post as well, but unfortunately it seems to not been resolved or gotten any replies. Now I have the same problem, after 2 years. Again stuck on Armsmaster bonuses being reset to 0, after it reaches 63 points (21 in skill manually and 42 from item bonuses).

Since than I noticed that other skill caps has been fixed for Magic skills, but this is still an issue with Armsmaster.
I've tried ways to fix the issue, namely from RemoveSkillBonusLimits.lua file in Scripts\Structs\After file. But nothing I've done fixed it, or changed anything at all for that matter.
Can anyone help me with this? Is it only me, or everyone is the same?

Edit: I've now tested it with Archery, Magic skills, Identify Item and Disarm Trap as well, with Bonuses from items to all of them.
Manual Skill cap for all skills are 60.
But with bonuses Magic Skills apparently can reach much higher without a cap:
- Light Magic: Guinevere + Taledon's Helm + Amulet with Light Magic gets +90 Bonus effectively on top of 60 Skill for a total of 150.
- Disarm Trap seems to be working when the total number of Skill with Bonuses bypass 60-64.
- Identify Item seems to be working when the total number of Skill with Bonuses bypass 60-64 as well.
- Archery unfortunately resets to 0 bonuses to Damage / Attack Bonus / Recovery time as well just like Armsmaster Skill, when it reaches 64 skill points with Archery Skill bonuses from items (51 manually leveled up with bonuses from Tournament Bow [+5] and Fleetfingers Gauntlet [+8]).

vaoex
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby vaoex » 02 Nov 2023, 13:54

Demran wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:48
I am not sure if this is mentioned, I searched quite a bit but couldn't find any info about it.

While there doesn't seem to be an apparent skill cap (it keeps rising), when you reach 64 on a skill, in this case Armsmaster, it seems to reset entirely starting from beginning. Not the actual skill, but it's effects on the character.

I have 220+ skill points on my Knight but when I level Armsmaster more then 21 (+10 from Wallace / +7 from Terminus / +17 from Belt / +8 from Fleetfinger for a total of +42 Bonus that stacks on top of the actual 21, reaching 63 skill points) my damage lowers back to scratch as if I only have 0 or 1 points in Armsmaster.

Should we simply not reach those numbers in game or my game files have a problem or something?
I play M&M series for 20-25 years, I get back to it every now and than. And well.. Merge is the ultimate version that I've ever dreamed of.
On my 2nd playthrough I was stuck due to this Armsmaster problem. I totally forgot that I've written this post as well, but unfortunately it seems to not been resolved or gotten any replies. Now I have the same problem, after 2 years. Again stuck on Armsmaster bonuses being reset to 0, after it reaches 63 points (21 in skill manually and 42 from item bonuses).

Since than I noticed that other skill caps has been fixed for Magic skills, but this is still an issue with Armsmaster.
I've tried ways to fix the issue, namely from RemoveSkillBonusLimits.lua file in Scripts\Structs\After file. But nothing I've done fixed it, or changed anything at all for that matter.

Edit: I've now tested it with Archery, Magic skills, Identify Item and Disarm Trap as well, with Bonuses from items to all of them.
- Light Magic: Guinevere + Taledon's Helm + Amulet with Light Magic gets +90 Bonus effectively on top of 60 Skill for a total of 150.
- Disarm Trap seems to be working when the total number of Skill with Bonuses bypass 60-64.
- Identify Item seems to be working when the total number of Skill with Bonuses bypass 60-64 as well.
- Archery unfortunately resets to 0 bonuses to Damage / Attack Bonus / Recovery time as well just like Armsmaster Skill, when it reaches 64 skill points with Archery Skill bonuses from items (51 manually leveled up with bonuses from Tournament Bow [+5] and Fleetfingers Gauntlet [+8]).
Is your Disarm and Identify at GM? It might be resetting with the GM skill giving you 100% success regardless.

Demran
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Demran » 02 Nov 2023, 14:55

vaoex wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 13:54
Demran wrote: 02 Nov 2023, 12:48

Edit: I've now tested it with Bow, Magic skills, Identify Item and Disarm Trap as well, with Bonuses from items to all of them.
- Bow unfortunately resets to 0 bonuses to Damage / Attack Bonus / Recovery time as well just like Armsmaster Skill, when it reaches 64 skill points with Bow Skill bonuses from items (51 manually leveled up with bonuses from Tournament Bow [+5] and Fleetfingers Gauntlet [+8]).
Is your Disarm and Identify at GM? It might be resetting with the GM skill giving you 100% success regardless.
Very good idea! It was indeed tested with Grandmaster both so both had 100% chance even if their skill value had dropped to 1-2.

But I managed to test it with Basic Identify Item and Disarm Trap now, both had 43 skills and a bonus of +22 Skill Rings on them, for a total of 65 skill points. That should have reset them to 1 or 2 skill points if they were like Armsmaster and Bow Skills.
But they worked perfectly, still managed to open the very strongly trapped chests and identify Artifacts without a problem (even as Basic, but 65 skill into it)

I have no way to test Weapon Skills other than Bow, since there are no items that increase Weapon Skills.
So I can tell for certain this issue happens only for Bow and Armsmaster. Bow is not a huge problem, but Armsmaster is a huge part of melee character's damage output and heavily impacts the game.

PS: Tested Unarmed and Dodge as well, was dreading testing them due to both of it being buggy in general in M&M, its patches and even on early Merge. But they actually worked quite well. Didn't reset their bonuses when Base Skill + Bonus Skill reached 63-64 like Armsmaster and Bow Skills.

This makes only Armsmaster + Bow skills buggy.
(Also Leveling Staff skill while Unarmed Skill is GM, doesn't give Staff Bonuses: Attack Bonus / Armor Class / Attack Damage unfortunately, but it actually Stuns still. But this is a known issue as far as I know, while searching forum for Armsmaster, I came along a few reports about this)

Felipe
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Felipe » 03 Nov 2023, 09:47

Hi !

Huge fan of your work <3

Have you ever found a newer version of the french localization that would include quests and documents translation ?

Thank you very much for this Merge Mod

Felipe (the 3rd)

Return to “Might and Magic”