Might and Magic VI - No music plays

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
fluent2332
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Might and Magic VI - No music plays

Unread postby fluent2332 » 28 Jan 2013, 16:19

Hello! I recently started playing Might and Magic VI, and I have a few questions about it.

For one, I can't seem to get the music to work. I am running Windows Vista 32-bit, I have the audio .mp3s (which are 224 bitrate), renamed them 2.mp3-16.mp3, placed them in a folder called "music" in the main game directory, opened the mm6.ini and changed the PlayMP3= setting to 1, and I still get no music. Not sure what could be the problem here. I tried loading a game and got no music, and also starting a new game produced no music. I get sounds of walking and nature, but no music. Any ideas?

Second, is there an FAQ somewhere for someone who has never played the game or games like this in the past? The FAQs I've read are okay and informative, but they don't tell you basic things.

Example, I'm not sure how to properly utilize my sorcerer. Do I mash the "S" key in combat to get him to shoot off his spells? What will happen when I press S but it was the paladin's turn? Will he still attack or pass his turn if the enemy is out of range?

Next, what's the best way to take out large groups of enemies? Should I switch to turn-based mode and micro-manage? I'm in Goblinwatch and just solved the puzzle, which leads me to a room full of brain suckers and rats that continue to kill my entire party quite easily. Only my ranger has a bow, and I haven't been able to utilize the sorcerer's spells yet. So any tips on how to handle a room full of these enemies would be useful.

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game! I never knew it existed until seeing some ads for it on GOG and it caught my eye. I'm new to PC gaming in general and this is one of the first games I've tried. It's a good experience but I just wish I could stay alive a little longer.

Also, is there someone who sells food in New Sorpigal? I'm getting close to running out due to how often I have to rest. I picked the apples from the orchard near the bridge already. Any food advice would be helpful. I'd like to stock up.

That's it for now, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to ask it. Thanks in advance!

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 28 Jan 2013, 16:38

Hmm, what you did should be enough to play music. What version of the game did you get? The GOG one?

As for the other questions - read the manual. Everything is explained there. It should have come with the game. If you then have additional questions, we will be happy to help.

fluent2332
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fluent2332 » 28 Jan 2013, 17:08

Thanks! I will give the manual a thorough read and if anything still bothers me afterwards I shall return.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 29 Jan 2013, 04:19

Until you get a hang of the game, you should almost always be in turn based mode for combat.

Turn in the letter in the tavern of New Sorpigal to get startup cash.

Get bows and bow skill for everyone. Now. They are sold in Castle Ironfist. Level 1 is sufficient. You pay for it by giving "the letter" which you already have to the regent. He gives you 5k which you will blow through getting bows and the skill. Once this is done head back to New Sorpigal and continue where you left off.

Food is sold in taverns. Better taverns sell more food but it is more expensive.

With large groups, especially early, you can run faster than they can. Use this advantage and abuse bows. When you get some better spells you can figure out better ways.

I highly suggest cleaning out the goblin camp before attempting to clear out Goblinwatch on a first playthrough.

As mentioned, basic controls are in the manual.

fluent2332
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fluent2332 » 29 Jan 2013, 04:44

Thanks for the response.

I read the manual and it was very helpful. Very well written and fun, too.

I managed to clear out most of Goblinwatch, hordes of blood suckers and goblins and all. I think there is one room left that I need to clear.

I find that turn-based mode is extremely useful against large packs and tougher enemies like goblin shamans and goblin kings. Whenever I see one of them coming I hit enter and take my time. I was actually able to take out a huge pack of blood suckers and brain suckers by using turn-based combat and really utilizing everything at my disposal. Potions are very handy and the cleric's first aid spell is very useful.

I love the strategy and how this game is put together. I've never played anything like this. I've been mostly a console gamer my whole life so playing a game like this is incredibly different than what I'm used to. Seems I missed out on some really great games over the years and this is definitely one of them.

Arret
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby Arret » 29 Jan 2013, 05:50

Yes, you missed out on a lot, but there is currently a rediscovering of older games due to both the industry focus of graphics over gameplay and the rise of mobile gaming (where the graphics aren't as big an issue).

The ability to toggle from turn based to real time was a huge change in gaming.

If you finish and enjoy 6, go ahead and pick up MM7 and 8 which use the game graphics engine and the gameplay isn't too varied as a result. This angered a lot of game reviewers, so the Game Ranking scores are misleading, although 6 and 7 are considered the best in the series here at CH. Avoid 9 at all costs.

You might also want to check out Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as it plays into the plot of the series (especially 7-8) and even now is still a solid game.

GreatEmerald
CH Staff
CH Staff

Unread postby GreatEmerald » 29 Jan 2013, 19:10

MM7 and MM8 also allows you to move during turn-based combat, so you might not want to get too used to the fact that you can't do it. I always go in combat in turn-based mode, no matter what I'm attacking (well, unless I'm way too overpowered). That said, whether to use turn-based on real-time mode usually comes down to personal preference.

Bones_xa
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Bones_xa » 29 Jan 2013, 21:20

The mm6 that I currently have on my computer has no music, but I don't really care because all the other sound effects are working and I've already played through it completely once before. The first time I ever played through mm6 I don't remember if there was music or not, but I've heard the game music on youtube and it did sound familiar.

Its nice to see people starting this game even now. Its definitely a great game.
Personally I've never looked at the manual. So I don't know if your questions have been answered but if you still have some unanswered or have any more I'd be happy to try to help because I enjoy talking about the game.

The first MM game I ever played was mm7. Then I played mm8 and that was very fun the first time. Then I played mm6 and that one was for sure the longest. But ultimately I think its the best of those 3. It took me like over a month or maybe even over 2-3 months to complete mm6.

fluent2332
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby fluent2332 » 30 Jan 2013, 16:51

I would like to hear the music, but I guess it's no big deal. I have the .mp3s so I will just listen to them in my spare time to see what they're like. I don't mind playing the game with just sound effects. Maybe I will play a record in the background while I'm playing, but I'll probably just stick with the sound effects and nothing more.

Bones_xa, you might want to check out the manual, simply because it has some background information on the story, but also because it's written pretty well and it's fun to read. I'm not sure if all older PC games' manuals were written in this way, but I liked what I saw.

M&M 6 does seem like a very good game. It took me awhile to understand what to do but that seems to be typical of my delve into retro PC RPGs. Usually I have to watch someone play on Youtube or read some guide or something first to know what the heck to do, and even then I'm still just learning as I go with these games. For being so old I'm surprised how complex and in depth some of them are. It's a little intimidating at first but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

My favorite part thus far has been clearing the long corridor that let to a circular room filled with a huge amount of blood/brain suckers guarding a chest. The chest was filled with a ridiculous amount of gold and some good items. I thought that was so cool how the game rewarded you very well for slogging through wave after wave of enemies. You can tell a lot of thought went into this game. I really like it so far.

It's also surprising how many elements of this game show up in the Elder Scrolls games. It seems to me that the TES games were very much influenced by this game. Very cool to see where those ideas came from.

Anyway, enough rambling. Back to the game I go. :)

Return to “Might and Magic”