Might and Magic mods?

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Might and Magic mods?

Unread postby Apeman » 07 Apr 2006, 06:23

I was playing Might and Magic VI again for the 'I don't know how many' time and I was wondering if there are mods for the game. I never really heard anything about small mods, not counting the bigger ones like MMT.

For example it would be great to have a mod which changes all the monsters to their most powerfull counterpart. i.e. only goblin kings, only gold dragons, only cuisinarts etc etc.

It would add some challange!

purple_kathryn
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby purple_kathryn » 07 Apr 2006, 12:03

or how about one that does the reverse so I can get to that final obelisk and finish that quest?

Actually anyone know an easier way to get to the obelisk in dragonsands? Im level 65 and I just get my butt handed back to me (travelling from blackshire)

Pitsu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Pitsu » 07 Apr 2006, 12:54

purple_kathryn wrote: Actually anyone know an easier way to get to the obelisk in dragonsands? Im level 65 and I just get my butt handed back to me (travelling from blackshire)
Fly (faster than running) to the obelisk, enter turn based mode, read it and cast town portal or beacon to safety. It should be the easiest way.

Justice
War Dancer
War Dancer

Unread postby Justice » 07 Apr 2006, 15:09

There are a lot of peasant games, you start with 0 everything, except HP, don't know where they are hiding thoug...

HodgePodge
Round Table Knight
Round Table Knight

Re: Might and Magic mods?

Unread postby HodgePodge » 07 Apr 2006, 16:27

Apeman wrote: … I was wondering if there are mods for the game. I never really heard anything about small mods …
While there are not any "mods" for MM6, you can create your own peasant game by editing your characters stats, resistances, skills, spells, exp. points, etc to zero by using one of the Save Game Editors found in the link below:

Might & Magic 6-8 Save Game Editors

Just click on the number of the game you want the editor for, download it, unzip it, launch it, choose your saved game & edit away. :-D

Good Luck & Have Fun!
Walk Softly & Respect All Life!

Click Here: Lords of War and Money … A Free & Fun Browser Game.

Apeman
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby Apeman » 08 Apr 2006, 06:34

So is it impossible to Mod the Might and Magic engine, the Heroes engine can be modded, wake of gods and equilibrium. So is it too hard or has no one ever bothered.

Gaidal Cain
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Gaidal Cain » 08 Apr 2006, 08:46

I believe it's the latter. The whole modding thoing wasn't that great when MM6-8 was released, so I guess no-one thought much about it. On the other hand, there's the TELP project for MM9, but I have no idea how it's progressing.
You don't want to make enemies in Nuclear Engineering. -- T. Pratchett

masterpoobaa
Peasant
Peasant

BUMP - editors

Unread postby masterpoobaa » 02 May 2007, 04:12

If anyone is interested,
Ive just finished a mod for Might & Magic VI.
(pending a bit of testing)

Things modified are:

Monsters have 2x hitpoints, 1.5x higher AC.
Most locations have ALOT more monsters (area effect spells really shine!)
(except certain dungeons which have reached the monster limit already)

Weapons and armour have been modified, mostly hit dmg and bonuses.
And AC bonuses increased.
Non Artifact weapons top out at +20, artifacts up to +25.

Bows have been made more effective in higher levels by dealing more base damage for more powerful bows.
Few other weapons tweaked, spears a bit more damaging (i always throught they were weak), daggers better balanced, etc.

Anyone curious in this MOD message me.
All it does is change one LOD file in the data directory. Easy to install/remove.

Cheers
Poobs

M&M VI afficinardo

Also shop opening times changed a little.
M&M VI - the best.

redwoodtreesprite
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby redwoodtreesprite » 03 May 2007, 17:15

There's some things that are reasonably easy to do to mod MM6 and MM7. I've made a personal MM7 mod that replaces the undeadish-looking human NPC faces to nicer looking ones from MM6 and MM8. I have also changed one female and one male goblin PC option to dragons, using the MM8 face frames for the dragon PCs.

Unfortunately, I don't own Adobe Photoshop, so I can't make alpha-channeled bmp textures. So I'm using the scuba suits for the dragon PC paperdolls.

And until I can make alpha-channeled bmps, I can't do texture replacers for any of the creatures, plants and such.

---------------------------------------------------

I've also done a replacer for a lot of weapons, items and shields, again using ones from MM6 and MM8. These are tricky sometimes, due to the hand placement the game has set for each specific weapon. It took a lot of experimenting to see which ones would work.

===================================

Unfortunately, I can't release the mod, as it would mean uploading textures, a whole main file of textures from 3 of the MM games. I'd need to get the OK from Ubisoft's legal department. And I suspect that they'd never give the OK.

However, sometime this summer I'll make a website guide on how anyone can do the same type of modding themselves.

JMK
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby JMK » 16 May 2007, 16:42

i think a mod should be made for M&M 6 that lets you insted of becoming a Wizard or whatever the final upgrade should be beetween Archmage and the awsome Lich, cause my fravourite charecters have always been liches! :devil:

redwoodtreesprite
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby redwoodtreesprite » 18 May 2007, 21:59

JMK wrote:i think a mod should be made for M&M 6 that lets you insted of becoming a Wizard or whatever the final upgrade should be beetween Archmage and the awsome Lich, cause my fravourite charecters have always been liches! :devil:
Well, if I was able to start as a dragon in MM7, you could also edit one of the possible starting characters to use the lich face frames from MM7. As the faces for MM6 and MM7 seem to be quite compatible. The mod could be installed from the start or at a specific time in the game.

Basically, you need to be quite organized. And use the "MM8LevelEditor-package-3.47" to extract the face files from 7. And also from 6.

Take a good look at the facial expressions and name the lich ones from MM7 to match the ones for the player character(s) face(s) you're going to use. There are more face frames for the MM7 PC faces than for the MM6 PC faces. So you won't be using every one of the MM7 face expression frames. (I call them frames because they're part of the facial animations.)

Important! Make a backup of your icons file!

Then use MM6View to replace the original face frames with the renamed lich ones.

Once done, you can go the whole game with your face looking like a lich. :D
There is no MM6 paper doll with a lich look to it, and you must have the alpha channels for the paper dolls to work correctly. And you can't use MM7 paper dolls because of the different shapes. So you'll have to keep the original MM6 paper doll to equip the armor and such on.

Return to “Might and Magic”