MM9 - what you don't like and what you like in it

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
BTB
Peasant
Peasant

Unread postby BTB » 31 Aug 2011, 19:45

MM9 saddened me, because the half of it that was finished showed great promise for the half that wasn't. The atmosphere was beautiful, even if the environments were empty and not very fleshed-out. The dungeons were huge and well-done (the ones that were done, anyway), as were the cities.

Bandobras Took
Genie
Genie

Unread postby Bandobras Took » 01 Sep 2011, 03:13

Drat, this thread has gotten me playing the game again . . .
Far too many people speak their minds without first verifying the quality of their source material.

Matt.J
Leprechaun
Leprechaun

Unread postby Matt.J » 05 Sep 2011, 17:52

I shelved the game shortly after playing for a few hours and that's all it took for me to be aware of most of the references made in this thread.

[ Cons ]

My first gripe with the game is the graphics; they lack detail and were quite painful to look at in comparison to previous entries in the series. It seems like 3DO were just so desperate for 'real' 3D they'd be able to get away with the novelty of it alone.

The user interface is just awful; icons representing items is a definitive method of breaking any form of immersion.

The world itself is extremely bland. Rather than being presented with an environment you're presented with an array of indepedent regions that serve merely as space to occupy. Previous games provided a unique and interesting world that actually had a purpose to exist within the confines of the game's lore.

The beastiary is very lacking.

In general the game provides nothing to identify conceptually and thus implicitly was incapable of providing the sense of immersion which was present in previous MM games.

[ Pros ]

The music was quite good in some areas.

Return to “Might and Magic”