Map of the MM6-8 planet

The role-playing games (I-X) that started it all and the various spin-offs (including Dark Messiah).
XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 17 Jun 2011, 12:54

It's the sea that is eastern (i.e. the sea east of Enroth), not ENroth in relation to Jadame.
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 17 Jun 2011, 14:19

What kind of information is there on Karigor? You guys should try to include all 4 continents in this debate :P

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 17 Jun 2011, 14:22

In the MM6 intro it also shows two larger islands northwest of the coast of Paradise Valley, and beyond that something that looks like more land, and southwest of Paradise Valley something that looks like another island.

Could Jadame (we only saw the southern coast in MM8) extend that far? And the southwestern island, could it be parts of Antagarich and Nighon? And what about the two norther mystery islands?

Because it's a sphere, east-west is also a bit arbitrary, and maybe it differs between the continents what they consider east and west.

Jadame is still east of Enroth, and Antagarich southeast of Jadame.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 17 Jun 2011, 17:42

MMXAlamar wrote:What kind of information is there on Karigor? You guys should try to include all 4 continents in this debate :P
Karigor is a small island southwest of New Sorpigal.*

It is the homeland of Church of the Sun and Church of the Moon, two most influental religions on the planet. Church of the Sun was about the good aspect of life, light, healing magic. It was considered a heretical religion in some places, but they always helped the poor and needy people.

Church of the Moon favored darker aspect, its priests were Necromancers. Churches of Sun and Moon had become the progenitors of Paths of Light and Darkness respectively, two magical and religious paths prominent on the planet (and dominant in Antagarich).

About 200 years ago (from the 1160s A.S.) the two Churches started the longest war the world has ever seen. Finally, in 1073 A.S. the last High Priest of the Church of the Sun started the holy war against Church of the Moon. It ended in 1083 with the destruction of both Churches. Only remnants of these once great religions remained, mostly seen in their homeland in Karigor. There are also two Grand Temples of both Churches on the Evenmorn Isle south of Bracada in Erathia.

In the late 1160s Erathian Priests of the Sun travelled to the Murmurwoods in Jadame, where they built their new Temple of the Sun. This was the first such temple in Jadame since the last one was destroyed by Necromancers centuries ago. The new Temple of the Sun discovered the Necromancer's Guild based in the land of Shadowspire in southeastern Jadame and declared war on it.

Karigor is known as the place of wealth and power. Its capitalm Kalimar, has streets made of jade. Kalimar is also home of the Great Library. Karigor is the only place where cotton grows well and where Mogred beasts are no extinct. Archibald Ironfist is known to have lived in Karigor for some time before the Succession Wars.

* SCREW that crap from MMT about Karigor being the northern part of Jadame :)
Make you strong places to dwell and practice the evil of your arts. Build great monuments to stand through the ages and remind your followers of the task with which you have been charged. Use these halls of iniquity to perpetrate your schemes against the infestation that has taken the fields and lakes of this land from you, their rightful masters. Never forget the hatred that must finally overcome and consume mankind. Dwell in your dungeons and brood. - Sheltem the Dark

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 17 Jun 2011, 17:44

hatsforclowns wrote:Because it's a sphere, east-west is also a bit arbitrary, and maybe it differs between the continents what they consider east and west.
That's possible, of course, but I think its just the sea is eastern (called that because its the sea between Enroth and Erathia, the latter being east to the former).

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 17 Jun 2011, 18:41

There was some sheets from a diary of a Sun Cleric in MM7, scattered along Antagarich.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 17 Jun 2011, 19:25

XEL II wrote:Archibald Ironfist is known to have lived in Karigor for some time before the Succession Wars.
More like he commissioned some War Axes from Karigor, doesn't confirm he ever went there though.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 18 Jun 2011, 11:02

Is there any mentioning in HMM3 of how Catherine sailed to Antagarich? I think I read somewhere that she actually encountered Regnan pirates on the route she took.

Unforunately I don't know how to export resoruces (if it's even possible) from HMM3 so I can't get a hold of the text files and study them further... :(

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Jun 2011, 11:10

She lands at Southport (southern Antagarich) after dropping off at Cloudfire (the ruined wizard city in the intro).
Seven weeks have passed since we set sail from Enroth. Slaves freed from our skirmishes with Regnan fleets talk of the turmoil in Erathia.
Those skirmishes can be seen in Foolhardy Waywardness from Armageddon's Blade. I still don't really know why she skirted the entire northern half of the continent, but it's probably because there was no other coastal, Erathian position to land at.

Avonu
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Unread postby Avonu » 18 Jun 2011, 11:12

Corlagon wrote:Those skirmishes can be seen in Foolhardy Waywardness from Armageddon's Blade. I still don't really know why she skirted the entire northern half of the continent, but it's probably because there was no other coastal, Erathian position to land at.
Or maybe waters around Vori are dangerous to sail (same as waters south of Enroth)?
Remeber that waters where Lincoln was hidden (near AvLee) also weren't safe - sharks and shipwrecks.

tolich
Spectre
Spectre

Unread postby tolich » 18 Jun 2011, 11:54

hatsforclowns wrote:Unforunately I don't know how to export resoruces (if it's even possible) from HMM3 so I can't get a hold of the text files and study them further... :(
You can use MMArchive by GrayFace.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2011, 13:09

Corlagon wrote:More like he commissioned some War Axes from Karigor, doesn't confirm he ever went there though.
It says that he commissioned it during his time on Karigor in the description.

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 18 Jun 2011, 13:23

"[...] manufactured in Karigor by order of Archibald Ironfist [...]"
not
"[...] manufactured in Karigor by Archibald Ironfist [...]"
as in, he sent an order to Karigor for a shipment of War Axes.
Last edited by Corlagon on 11 Dec 2011, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2011, 13:27

IIRC, it also says that he was there during this time, although I haven't read that description in a while. Who cares, anyway.

MMXAlamar
Hunter
Hunter

Unread postby MMXAlamar » 18 Jun 2011, 15:14

IS there any concept art floating around for the Mogred Beasts?

XEL II
HoTA Crew
HoTA Crew

Unread postby XEL II » 18 Jun 2011, 17:33

No.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 19 Jun 2011, 08:09

What exactly is it that makes travelling the seas dangerous?

The seas north and east of Enroth are populated by sea serpents, but iirc they were not dangerous to ships. The Regnan pirates disrupt traffic and trade between the three continents, probably mostly along the equator -- and dare I assume that the Endless Ocean would be a synonym for the continuous ocean that seems to run around the equator?

What exactly would it be that limits travel by sea along the southern coast of Enroth, or maybe even southern sea altogether? What about other parts of the oceans? Is there any particular reason why sea travel is seemingly limited to the sea between Enroth and Jadame, and the seas near Antagarich?

In the MM6Intro.smk and Planetxp.smk you can see land just west of the Enrothian coast, the lower part almost looks like the eastern coast of Antagarich and Nighon, but that would probably place Antagarich a little too high, not to mention too close to Enroth. -- Scratch that, the graphic is dark and it's difficult to make much out of it, but it's NOT Antagarich. The upper part and farther western part could also be Jadame wrapping around, but could both Enroth and Jadame be that wide that they come so close?

I'm definately no expert, but I don't think I've ever read of any fourth continent, so the most logical explanation would be that it is either very large islands -- which are supposedly scattered all over the place anyway -- or the far eastern coast of Jadame.

Any ideas?

UndeadHalfOrc
Titan
Titan

Unread postby UndeadHalfOrc » 19 Jun 2011, 13:09

Guys, it's obvious the developers didn't plan that far ahead when they made MM6.

Jadame was obviously created on the spot when they made MM8. Only Regna has any reference in the past games.

hatsforclowns
Conscript
Conscript

Unread postby hatsforclowns » 19 Jun 2011, 13:28

UndeadHalfOrc wrote:Guys, it's obvious the developers didn't plan that far ahead when they made MM6.

Jadame was obviously created on the spot when they made MM8. Only Regna has any reference in the past games.
I was sort of thinking that as well, but I'm just trying to make sense of the stuff that is available.

This is in no way authoritative or in any way strictly canonical or official, just my personal efforts to create a usable approximation of the world of MM6-8. I'm simply trying to reach the best compromise between adherence to the actual games and related matetral, and a realistic Earth-like planet.

I did play MM8 and MM7 (my first games in the MM series) somewhere around 2001-2002, but I was never around any of the forums or sites at the time, and I haven't played any of the games enough (especially the older ones, even though they aren't part of the MM6-8 world, but still povides backstory/details) to bits that I'd know every nook and cranny, every single piece of information or in-game lore by heart...so I don't know what I'm missing. So HRT forums is a gold mine ;)

My version (WIP) is probably one of many, many, many...Might & Magic Tribute is one other, and some like it, some don't.

It can never be 100% accurate and canonical, but that was never the goal. It's more about getting an overall view of the planet with it's major regions and locations, wind and ocean currents, climate, distances, travel routes, mountains, etc. It won't be perfect, but it's still something I've been interested in ever since I first began my journey into Might & Magic.

Others can always make their own revisions of my map, add/move/remove locations and so on, to accomodate their interpretatinos and preferences...but at least they'll have a good starting point: whether you're strictly canonical or just having fun.

Right now all you have is primarily the in-game town portal maps, which is just fine, but me personally, I crave for a little more, maybe others do too. Unless the game is set on a small island with no external interactions or references, but once you have a world with continents, many lands, cross-references, shared history, it always starts to bug me when there's no world (as in the entire planet) map, don't really know why.

I guess it's the roleplaying, adventuring, explorational, scholarly, curious, human side of me ;)

Corlagon
Archangel
Archangel

Unread postby Corlagon » 19 Jun 2011, 13:38

hatsforclowns wrote:What exactly is it that makes travelling the seas dangerous?
Everyone in MM6 either whines about the Regnans, the Water Elementals, the Sea Serpents or the freezing-cold waters. Take your pick.
dare I assume that the Endless Ocean would be a synonym for the continuous ocean that seems to run around the equator?
Perhaps, but the Endless Ocean is also geographically defined: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... anicFr.png
Any ideas?
There are some enormous islands whose position on the world map is not known, like Dragon Isle from Archibald's campaign in Heroes II. This could represent them. Also:

"Erathia is out of even Town Portal's long range. That continent is a full six week's worth of sea travel away. There are a lot of islands and sub-continents between here and there, all of them filled with petty kingdoms and tribes looking to rob travelers of their valuables, their freedom, or their lives."

Return to “Might and Magic”