Heroes of Might and Magic V
→ Plans for Heroes V
by Celestial Heavens
Ubisoft's Plans for Heroes V
March 30th, Ubisoft announced a new game under the Might and Magic brand, Heroes of Might and Magic V. The game is
developed by Nival Interactive, the Russian company responsible for the Etherlords,
Blitzkrieg and Silent Storm series. Ubisoft has opened an official teaser site
as well as forums. Details about the game are still
scarce at this point, but you will find below a summary of what has been revealed until now.
An extensive collection of artwork and screenshots can be found on the screenshots page and in-depth commentary can be found for a number
of these shots at the Heroes
V section of the Heroespedia. The site is updated all the time by fans, so keep an eye on it!
- Beta Test: scheduled for this Summer, with a limited number of seats. The game has been playable for several months
- Campaigns: six single-player campaigns will deliver a unique storyline, with faction switching and linked stories;
- Combat: expect a hex grid, stacks, dragons, upgrades and other basic concepts from the previous games. Combat is
tactical, with some real-time elements included, such as a time-limit;
- Creatures: considering upgrades and addons, the number of creatures will exceed the one from Heroes III. Many creatures
will have spells of their own, such as angels that can perform healing;
- Demo: there will be one someday, featuring the two towns shown in the screenshots (life and, presumably, demons);
- Diplomacy: not a major part of the game, but creating alliances during missions will be possible;
- Editor: will be available;
- Expansion: already planned;
- Graphics: the game will use a 3D engine;
- Genre: the game will lean more towards strategy than RPG;
- Heroes: will not participate in combat as in Heroes IV, but will cast spells. All heroes from the previous games are
- Multiplayer: the focus is on Internet play, but Hotseat and LAN will be included as well. Five different multiplayer modes will be available;
- Music: created by Rob King;
- Simultaneous Turns: considered, but only as a mean to speed up the early parts of the game;
- System Requirements: will remain low, and offer some scalability -- the rumor about high system requirements was denied;
- Storyline: "The demons kill the recently crowned king of the humans, Nicolai, whose wife Isabel seeks revenge. To defeat
the demons, she makes an alliance with the undead followers of the necropolis -- a fatal decision..." Dragons will play a
major role in the game.
- Towns: there are six of them, including Humans, Demons and Undead, and elves and orcs will be in the game. Note that
demons and the undead form separated factions again, and that the new factions have nothing to do with those of Heroes IV.
Towns will feel more alive than before;
- World: the events of the new game take place in a brand new world.
Interviews : A short Q&A with Fabrice Cambounet about Ubisoft's plans
for the Might and Magic series, and some tidbits about the early development of Heroes V. In a longer interview at Heroric Corner, Fabrice answers questions
about the two Heroes mods, and discusses the artwork that has been released so far. Finally, in the second Celestial Heavens interview, Fabrice talks about the
rumored system requirements, the reactions from the fans, the towns and creatures included in the game and more.
Official Discussion Threads: Upon the request of Ubisoft, Celestial Heavens has gathered feedback
players in a series of discussion threads based on specific themes.
- Story (Discussion | Summary)
- Implementation of 3D Graphics ( Discussion |
- Favorite Sketch Poll ( Discussion | Summary)
- Role of Heroes in Combat ( Discussion | Summary)
- Map Editor ( Discussion | Summary)
- Technological Advance ( Discussion )
- Towns and Creatures ( Discussion | Summary)
- Creature Structure ( Discussion)
- Strategy and RPG Elements (Discussion)
- Skills (Discussion)
- Magic System (Discussion)
- The Battlefield (Discussion)
Important Forum Posts: There are dozens of forum threads
dealing with the new Heroes game, but these are the ones you should read
- Your Questions to Ubisoft: Got a question for Ubisoft
and wish you could ask them directly? The producer of Heroes of Might and
Magic V invited Round Table members to put their questions together in a
single thread, and he will try to answer them. Look for a post by MuadDib in
- Answers from Ubisoft: all the direct answers from the "Questions to Ubisoft"-thread.
- So Sayeth Ubisoft: The breaking news about Ubisoft
working on a new
- First Artwork from Ubisoft: The first impresssions of
the fans as pieces of preliminary artwork were distributed to various fan
- Answers from Ubisoft: a Summary: a collection of all questions answered by Fabrice Cambounet, should you feel
reluctant to browse the rather large question thread.
- Discussion about last news from Fabrice: Discuss the
latest revelations about the new Heroes game. The thread was created shortly
after the release of the demon artwork in April.
Fan Proposals: Countless ideas have been submitted for a new Heroes game.
Some fans went even further and wrote down
detailed plans that include creature lineups, new gameplay features
and hero classes. Here are some of the best articles to appear
on the Round Table forums:
Archives: The description of New World
Computing's plans for Heroes of
Might and Magic V can be found here. Included are
the first ever interview with Jon Van Caneghem and the Christian Vanover
|Jerrie at 2006-02-05 00:13 wrote:|
|What about an update in this section?|
|Pol at 2006-01-22 13:45 wrote:|
|Looks good for me. It reminds me why I still like Homm3, two words, Fortress and Inferno. B-)|
|Cavalary at 2006-01-22 13:25 wrote:|
|My ISP is in a bad mood these days, I wanted to play smth on-line but couldn't because of lag, so... http://www.geocities.com/cavalary1684/homm.html If anyone will have any use for it...|
|Cavalary at 2006-01-19 13:43 wrote:|
|Ugh, heroes won't participate in combat? That's what I wanted since Heroes 1 (and the reason for me getting bored of the first 3 in the series quite fast) and what I liked most about Heroes 4... Bleah, so HoMM5 will probably be something else I'll just play around with for a bit and then forget about...|
|Shogun_Razor at 2005-10-06 19:02 wrote:|
|Anybody know when a potential Demo of the game will be out? I needs my fix soon or goin' to Implode (Now where did I leave that Spellbook anyway?)|
|Sir Charles at 2005-06-25 17:05 wrote:|
|There are 2 folders on the FTP site. One is screenshots the other has the videos in it. The readme is in the screenshot folder.|
|Vitirr at 2005-06-25 10:22 wrote:|
|Can't find the readme file, ony videos. Can you post the exact link to it?.|
|Sir Charles at 2005-06-25 02:57 wrote:|
|I'm not sure if you guys have noticed it or not, but the FTP site Ubi set up has a small readme file in it. This readme gives small descriptions for the original screenshots. With this you can see the actual names of some of the units. Pit Fiends, Clerics, Marksmen, Swordsmen, etc. Just thought I'd give you a heads up. If you can't find the readme...I've got all the changes up at The Genies Lamp.
That is all. Nothing to see here. Move along people. :O)
|touf touf at 2005-05-29 18:29 wrote:|
|ša Ó l'air trop bien !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|
|CloudRiderX at 2005-05-16 19:46 wrote:|
|Simultaneous turns?( /:0) How would that work? If players all did turns at the same time, that would competely change the way the game would be played. But, thankfully, they put 'considered' instead of a direct 'Yes', and considered itself points to the fact that they did consider it and aren't trying it. I don't really know if they are still considering it, I'm just interpreting on what they announced. All who agree with me please post, I'd be happy to discuss it.|
|erlend11 at 2005-05-15 11:14 wrote:|
|ay can wait for a long time, only ay now that the game will go up to heroes standar..the only thing ay ask off ubisoft and nivada.
ay cant wayt for E3 hopfully new screenshots:D:D:D:D
stay true to heroes of might and magic!
|Asmodean_HC at 2005-04-07 12:46 wrote:|
|I wouldn't mind having to wait longer than expected if we were kept up to date with what was going on with the game.
Surely it only takes a few minutes of Fabrice's week to log on to the main forum and give one measly weekly update.
Is that too much to ask?
|ronald at 2005-04-06 19:27 wrote:|
|And with the info about 6 towns.
BTW the official site is changed, the sword of the angel now has a (as I call it) bling, and a crow flies by now and then. And at the mainpage the news is showed in a side menu and all the screens are on it (in thumbnales) aswell
|ronald at 2005-04-02 11:53 wrote:|
|You guys should udate this section again with the official announcement|
|CHFED at 2005-02-16 13:05 wrote:|
|I really want to learn when we'll play HMM5! Does anyone knows??|
|Blueman at 2005-01-14 09:17 wrote:|
|Enjoying Homm4 with Equilibris until the Homm5 demo is available. I hope they add to gameplay more than just nice 3d graphics...Some news would be nice though...|
|necro95 at 2005-01-10 07:08 wrote:|
|if the progression of the Heroes series is taking its cue from the War craft series ([WC2]Good -> [WC3]I cannot believe how great it is!), then I believe the wait is worth it...|
|HodgePodge at 2005-01-09 19:07 wrote:|
|Even though I am anxious for Heroes V to be released, I'm in no hurry since I still enjoy playing Heroes IV with all the new maps and campaigns being created by talented fans of the series.
Still, I would like to hear some encouraging news soon from UbiSoft about the development of Heroes V. - HodgePodge
|Vitirr at 2005-01-08 22:14 wrote:|
|They don't have to implement the last masterpiece of 3D engine technology to develope H5 however. 3D action games with innovative technology like Hl2 are hard to develope just for that reason.|
|Echo_ at 2005-01-08 22:08 wrote:|
|We havn't been waiting long at all.
Look at other games, Half-life 2 for example, those fans (myself included) wait 6 1/2 years for the game and it was amazing. Be patient and you will be happy, trust me.
|Rjak at 2005-01-07 12:20 wrote:|
|The fans of Heroes of Might & Magic buy the games.Let us decide what Heroes should be like.There are more than enough realtime strategy games out there.|
|Articun at 2005-01-07 08:08 wrote:|
|When a game is taking long to finish, it is considered that the developers do not want to publish something less than perfect, take B&W2 for example. I, on the other hand have been patient just enough. WE cannot (the community) wait in darkness, not knowing if our beloved game is on process or on stand by. I believe we deserve an answer as to where the game is going, trash can or markets...|