|The full line-up of the Eastern Town of Heroes of Might and Magic Online, the Chinese MMORPG. Thanks evilp.
[ Previous ] [ Next ]
|Avonu at 2008-04-24 09:48 wrote:|
|>> Does anyone else see ads for Chinese dating services above (if you are viewing this from the news site)? :)|
Only Arab Army ad.
|evilp at 2008-04-23 00:33 wrote:|
|google ads? sometimes......|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-22 17:56 wrote:|
|What? There are ads on celestialheavens.com? Never saw any...|
|Pol at 2008-04-22 16:08 wrote:|
|Nah, only classic scientology side by side with motocycles. Our nowadays normal stuff. 8||
|Angelspit at 2008-04-22 15:44 wrote:|
|Does anyone else see ads for Chinese dating services above (if you are viewing this from the news site)? :)|
|ThunderTitan at 2008-04-22 11:37 wrote:|
|Hey, stop making my one liners redundant with your darned wordy explanations...|
|LordHoborgXVII at 2008-04-20 21:05 wrote:|
|Quite frankly, I think it’s kinda funny. |
It’s not a reasonable town, that's true, but if we compare it to traditional creature lineups, they’ve always been fairly silly. Dwarves and pegasi? Minotaurs and eyeballs? You could say that past creatures have always been allied based on ideology rather than culture, but in all honesty there has always been just as much inconsistency and lack of mythical basis.
Take the Nagas for example, are they with the Tower because they… are fond of study or something, or are they with Chaos because… their ideology became the polar opposite of what it was before? As silly as it may be, the creature lineup is tolerable in a series that was always meant to be fairly whimsical.
And besides, it’s for the Asian market, so any direction they take, even if it is the dreaded "real world cultures," is not going to sully our core HoMM series.
|ThunderTitan at 2008-04-17 09:03 wrote:|
|Yeah, and Titans where defeated by the guy that threw lightning... next silly idea pls.|
|ywhtptgtfo at 2008-04-16 21:21 wrote:|
|Still, this is just terrible.
(!) Clay soldiers are tomb guardians.
(2) Shaolin monks do not fight in imperial armies.
(3) Chinese mythologies never EVER include panda warriors.
(4) Kirins, sea dragon kings, and heavenly generals rarely fight on the same side
(5) This army is a mix of divine, monstrous, and mortal figures that do not make sense even in the most bizarre Chinese story I've read
|evilp at 2008-04-16 16:04 wrote:|
7.what you mean is Guang Yu(¹ØÓð)£¬ that not who in the pic
this one is who you say..they have different weapons
|agni77 at 2008-04-16 15:53 wrote:|
|Korean, but kinda obvious what these things are:
1. warrior from the tomb of first emperor of china. clay stuff, you know
2. generic 'shaolin' monk
3. generic shaman... could be from chinese lore where they animate corpses or dispel evil spirits, or could be from another famous kung-fu clan
4. panda with weapons from traditional chinese play
5. kirin, or kilin... if you're familiar with the Japanese beer, you know what this is
6. generic dragon, stylized in the 'dragon general' form, most often seen when depicting all 12 signs of the chinese zodiac.
7. the guy from 'the romance of the three kingdoms' often considered a god in china. famous for his red face, long beard, and glaive
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-16 09:52 wrote:|
|evilp at 2008-04-16 06:48 wrote:|
|no..maybe sylvan mixed academy|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-16 05:15 wrote:|
|If I understand you well, it's like putting devils and inquisitors in the same team...|
|evilp at 2008-04-16 02:52 wrote:|
|In Chinese myth, all of the seas and lakes or rivers has a Dragon King governor, even a well, their army are fish monsters, shrimp mosters and crab monsters.
Of course they have grades, the most powerful and famed Dragon King are the four seas Dragon Kings, First is East (敖广, Ao Guang), second is South (敖钦, Ao Qing), third is North (敖顺, Ao Shun), and fourth is West (敖闰, Ao Run), their job is manage water and rain, so they are water dragons, and Chinese has other element dragons too, but most of them are water dragons.
This tiers can't balance and correspond with west mythes.
About tier 7, in Chinese myth, we have a "heaven", the King(Emperor) of this heaven is Jade Emperor(玉皇大帝, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_Emperor), but who in picture was not a "king", he is a general, one of the leader of the army in heaven. In Chinese his name can be take in the meaning of king , but they are heaven Emperor's following. (I don't know what difference between king and Emperor in west, in here, Emperor is bigger than a king)
lisqr's link is Buddhism version, actually the character in picture is from Taoism. But one thing he is right, who's antetype in the pic is Li Jing(李靖).
I agreed this is not good line-up, Chinese myth can make another HOMM, this monsters was different factions from Chinese myth, it's not harmonious in my mind.
Edited on Wed, Apr 16 2008, 05:34 by evilp
|Gnoll_Mage at 2008-04-15 18:59 wrote:|
|Are the other line-ups available?|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-15 18:31 wrote:|
|And the Tier7 Black Dragon eats the Tier6 Dragon King... What kind of king is this?! :D|
|lisqr at 2008-04-15 18:21 wrote:|
|tier 6 is the dragon king
tier 7 is a "Heavenly king" based on Li Jing a fictional character from various classics. I can't find a wiki page for it. Here's the closest thing that I can find. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Heavenly_Kings
|Daystar at 2008-04-15 11:18 wrote:|
|evilp at 2008-04-15 06:31 wrote:|
|tier 1 is tomb figure..from the first Chinese feudal emperor's mausoleum|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-15 05:05 wrote:|
|Thanks. I figured the first fourout by myself easily, but I wasn't sure about the kirin.
So, what's next? How about a town based on the works of famous writers? For evil, I thought about Lovecraft (cause a legion of Deep Ones would be neat), or the good... perhaps Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh...
Edited on Tue, Apr 15 2008, 01:09 by Ravenheart87
|admira99 at 2008-04-15 00:37 wrote:|
|@Ravenheart87: let me do that for you.
Starting from left:
1. Probably a Jade Warrior. In some Chinese legend, they are said to guard the forbidden palace.
2. Well pretty much a clear one. A Shaolin Monk even now they are still exists and said to possesed great ancient chinese matrial art.
3. Probably a tactician or a Tao Priest.
4. err... a Panda?
5. It is a Kirin, a horse like creature engulf in fire and has a head of a chinese Dragon. In some Kung-Fu Novels said to be a very powerful creature in both speed and destructive power.
6. Probably a powerful Chinese Wizard, some picture them as "dragon" and when it means a Dragon, it means a long-serpent chinese dragon. Usually very wise and a great tactician. Zhuge Liang the legendary tactician in a history of three kingdoms is called "the sleeping Dragon"
7. A god or immortal incarnation. In the past chinese teachings, it is said that immortal, heaven war general live in heaven. Sometimes they incarnate human embodiment, born as human but possesed a powerful skill of their past life as immortal or heaven war general.
|Infiltrator at 2008-04-14 23:12 wrote:|
|Mixing heroes with chinese style = worse then poo.|
|Marcus333 at 2008-04-14 22:10 wrote:|
|I like the units for one, they look a bit alternative, yes, but pretty cool. But since it's an MMO, I probably won't be playing it.|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-14 21:40 wrote:|
|Don't worry, HoMM Online has nothing to do with the "original" series. And yes, mixing east and west isn't always a good idea.
I'd like to ask you something, if you're chinese: what are the last three units? I don't know too much about chinese mythology, only about indian and japanese (yeah, stupid animes...:)).
|ywhtptgtfo at 2008-04-14 21:26 wrote:|
|I am a Chinese myself, but I feel HoMM just got *******ized... I mean, there are excellent Chinese fantasy games out there but I don't think HoMM Online is one. Western and Eastern mythologies just don't mix well!!
But then again, the Asian gaming industry is much less professional than the American gaming industry.. so I am not surprised to see such crap coming out. Let's just hope this doens't affect HoMM 6 and MM 10.
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-14 20:55 wrote:|
|Only positive side of the new town: now you can burn a bunch of idiot looking pandas into ashes with your black dragon army. Of course, in real life you won't burn pandas, 'cause they are cute.:) But these...
I wonder, which unit is able to fly or teleport...
|Corlagon at 2008-04-14 18:55 wrote:|
|It's... too original, or something. Great graphics though.|
|Angelspit at 2008-04-14 18:26 wrote:|
|Larger version of the Panda...|
|Elvin at 2008-04-14 18:24 wrote:|
|Agreed with the previous comments. Beautiful town screen but the units..|
|PhoenixReborn at 2008-04-14 17:46 wrote:|
|Lol @Kareeah...that's what I was thinking too.|
|darknessfood at 2008-04-14 16:36 wrote:|
|Well, it looks nice, but from a HoMM fan perspective i think most people don't like it AT ALL!|
|Kareeah Indaga at 2008-04-14 16:35 wrote:|
|'Grats to Tar for making it into a Heroes game. :D|
|Metathron at 2008-04-14 16:11 wrote:|
|The castle and its surroundings look gorgeous, but I don't care about this creature lineup.|
Edited on Mon, Apr 14 2008, 12:11 by Metathron
|katykat29 at 2008-04-14 15:59 wrote:|
|A panda? Really??|
|Ravenheart87 at 2008-04-14 15:44 wrote:|
|Oh yeah, after all, it is a chinese MMO... I don't like it.|
Note: You must be logged in to post comments.