Etherlords II Review

Feedback for the articles that appear on Celestial Heavens.
archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Etherlords II Review

Unread postby archcorenth » 26 Oct 2007, 16:07

If you would like to take a look at the original page visit this link:
https://www.celestialheavens.com/86

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Etherlords II Review

Unread postby archcorenth » 26 Oct 2007, 16:07

I really loved Etherlords II. It was so much better than one and I like that the adventure map was RPG oriented rather than strategy oriented as it allowed the designers to have more control over the level of the monsters you'd be facing. When played on the most difficult setting it really becomes a true strategy game and for every new monster you really have to go into the battle intending to lose and gather information on how to form your deck to combat it successfully the second time.

With this new installment I think Etherlords has become the best of the Heroes-type games as far as its strategy goes, I think Disciples still has the most interesting plot though and the Heroes games the most invention.
Edited on Fri, Oct 26 2007, 13:59 by archcorenth

ThunderTitan
Perpetual Poster
Perpetual Poster

Unread postby ThunderTitan » 26 Oct 2007, 17:10

I don't know if i'd call it a Heroes-like game... it's based on Magic: The Gathering, which leads to plenty of differences even if it's still a TBS.
Disclaimer: May contain sarcasm!
I have never faked a sarcasm in my entire life. - ???
"With ABC deleting dynamite gags from cartoons, do you find that your children are using explosives less frequently?" — Mark LoPresti

Alt-0128: €

archcorenth
Pixie
Pixie

Etherlords II Review

Unread postby archcorenth » 26 Oct 2007, 18:07

I guess I say Heroes-like game to mean games where you gather resources and allocate them on an adventure map and fight battles on a tactical map. For me these games include Age of Wonders, Heroes, Disciples, Lords of Magic, Ogre Battle and Final Fantasy Tactics -- there are probably more. The type of combat in the tactical maps can differ immensely, in Disciples it reminds one of Final Fantasy Battles, in Heroes of a chess game, while in Etherlords a card game. I guess though that Etherlords adventure map system resembles King's Bounty more than Heroes, but obviously all are cut from a similar cloth, that's distinctly different from RTS's and games where everything is done on the same map like Fire Emblem and the wonderful Battle for Wesnoth.
Edited on Fri, Oct 26 2007, 14:07 by archcorenth

Muszka
Round Table Hero
Round Table Hero

Etherlords II Review

Unread postby Muszka » 26 Oct 2007, 19:03

Interesting... I didn't wanted to play EL II, but after a review like that, I'll reconsider it.
"Rage against the system, the system, what kills the human spirit."

Return to “Articles”